Metoprolol support group

[Lo...]

This is a group for all folks on any version of metoprolol, wondering how to maybe reduce the dose, get off of it one day, or if they ever will

• 3 weeks later...
[d0...]

i didnt really have a terrible time with metoprolol, but i felt it just wasnt helping, if anything it was adding a bit to tension, at least it felt like but its probably all just the withdrawal. my bp and heart rate are still a bit high, and im NOT going any further in dosage. i hope to be able to exercise regularly soon, and ill monitor bp. its not tooo bad, sometimes hits 140/85 range which isnt great but its well within being able to control with good habits and exercise. sometimes im 115/70 on the same dosage.

i saw an endocrinologist recently and he was very adamant about switching me. now i had already tapered from 25mg down to 12.5, and that was fairly uncomfortable. but he wanted me to try the 25mg equivalent with propranolol.

i have to say, the propranolol is a lot bette for me, it actually has some therapeutic effect, its kinda soothing, and it HAS eased some of that awful physical tension in my chest.its kinda known for being for people with anxiety. the dr said i can take alil more on a bad day. im only actually taking 20mg, 2 10mg pills, but he prescribed me for 40 a day. he said its a small enough dose overall where its fine to take an extra 10 or 20mg if i have a crappy day, and many people take it just as needed, not even regularly. you wouldnt think that would be possible with a beta blocker, but again on those doses and being fairly healthy he said its fine. ill prob never take more than 30, and i doubt honestly i ever will take that even i want off all this.

the metoprolol was starting to get tough to taper, and im still feeling a bit of the effects from just crossing over from the 12.5mg of it, but im optimistic about propranolol until hopefully i can taper down almost to nothing from that and maybe use it sparingly.

• 4 weeks later...
Following.  On 60 mg propanalol extended release and 5 mg up to 3 x a day fast acting for palpitations and ectopic. So much of this made worse by long term Xanax use. I don't think I will ever get off it entirely because I go crazy about missed beats.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm on 100 mg metoprolol twice a day for high blood pressure. Those arrhythmias can get a little intense. But since it controls my BP I don't plan on removing it.