Feedback for Valium Taper: Alternating Doses and Options for Under 2.5mg

[Gw...]

I spoke with my doctor again today. I am fortunate to be working with someone who is knowledgeable about benzo withdrawal and is getting me through this very gradually. I began my taper April 1 and will probably not take my last dose until September or October. (I am setting a six month limit for myself unless things get much worse. Her plan fits that time-frame anyway.) Her hold times in the schedule she wrote make sense and allow for some flexibility based on what I can personally tolerate.

I have 5mg tablets that can be broken in half, and when I asked her what her plan would look like once I was beneath a half pill per day, she said I would start alternating doses and counting on the half-life of the benzo to achieve an overall gradual reduction.

She had never heard of liquid titration, but seemed intrigued when I brought it up as a possible method to go more smoothly down from 2.5 mg, and she said that she would research it while I still have plenty of time to work with the half tablets. So I figured I should do some digging too and ask here for feedback.

Right now, this is the plan/schedule she wrote:

* Step 0/April 1 - I dropped from 15 mg to 10 mg, then from 10 mg to 7.5 mg, too fast but I was running out of pills and less familiar with safe taper plans. It's Step 0 because I hadn't been to see her yet.

* Step 1/April 8 - 7.5 mg (half tablet 3x day) - hold for 3-4 weeks, this is the dose I was taking when I came to her, she encouraged me to up-dose but respected my wishes when I declined and had me hold for longer instead.

* Step 2/May 1 - 5 mg (half tablet 2x day) - current step, holding for another 3-4 weeks, it's okay to take 7.5 mg a few days a week if needed but not required and I haven't so far

* Step 3/June 1 - 5 mg / 2.5 mg alternating days (half tablet twice one day, half tablet once the next day, half tablet twice the following day, half tablet once the day after that, etc.) - hold for approximately 2-3 weeks based on what I can tolerate

* Step 4 - 2.5 mg (half tablet once per day), up to me when in the day I take it - hold for 2-4 weeks based on what I can tolerate

* Step 5 - 2.5 mg / 0 mg alternating days (half tablet one day, nothing the next day, half tablet the following day, nothing the day after that, etc.) - hold for 2-4 weeks based on what I can tolerate

* Step 5,6,7...? 2.5 mg (or 2 mg if I want to switch tablets instead of taking halves), dosing 3 days a week, then 2, eventually jumping after 2-4 weeks of my own pacing

I'm okay with Steps 1-4. I'm actually a little glad I'm not dropping right from 5 mg to 2.5 mg, since I'm on Step 2 now and it's not easy! I know that cutting the same amount means it's a larger percent each time, so there needs to be something to make that more gradual. Step 5 might be when I start liquid titration, which she's currently researching to see if it's a better method than the dry cuts and alternate doses that she has used until now.

Edit to add: She does want to reduce my Wellbutrin towards the end of my taper as well, no specifics yet as to when or how quickly. That will be a taper too of course. She thinks the Wellbutrin may be causing anxiety but doesn't want to overlap the tapers any more than seems necessary. I think this part is still TBD since I already cut that dose in half before I went to see her, and I'm pretty early in her schedule to nail that one down yet.

Sorry this was long - feedback welcome!

I spoke with my doctor again today. I am fortunate to be working with someone who is knowledgeable about benzo withdrawal and is getting me through this very gradually. I began my taper April 1 and will probably not take my last dose until September or October. (I am setting a six month limit for myself unless things get much worse. Her plan fits that time-frame anyway.) Her hold times in the schedule she wrote make sense and allow for some flexibility based on what I can personally tolerate.

I have 5mg tablets that can be broken in half, and when I asked her what her plan would look like once I was beneath a half pill per day, she said I would start alternating doses and counting on the half-life of the benzo to achieve an overall gradual reduction.

She had never heard of liquid titration, but seemed intrigued when I brought it up as a possible method to go more smoothly down from 2.5 mg, and she said that she would research it while I still have plenty of time to work with the half tablets. So I figured I should do some digging too and ask here for feedback.

* Step 0/April 1 - I dropped from 15 mg to 10 mg, then from 10 mg to 7.5 mg, too fast but I was running out of pills and less familiar with safe taper plans. It's Step 0 because I hadn't been to see her yet.

* Step 1/April 8 - 7.5 mg (half tablet 3x day) - hold for 3-4 weeks, this is the dose I was taking when I came to her, she encouraged me to up-dose but respected my wishes when I declined and had me hold for longer instead.

* Step 2/May 1 - 5 mg (half tablet 2x day) - current step, holding for another 3-4 weeks, it's okay to take 7.5 mg a few days a week if needed but not required and I haven't so far

* Step 3/June 1 - 5 mg / 2.5 mg alternating days (half tablet twice one day, half tablet once the next day, half tablet twice the following day, half tablet once the day after that, etc.) - hold for approximately 2-3 weeks based on what I can tolerate

* Step 4 - 2.5 mg (half tablet once per day), up to me when in the day I take it - hold for 2-4 weeks based on what I can tolerate

* Step 5 - 2.5 mg / 0 mg alternating days (half tablet one day, nothing the next day, half tablet the following day, nothing the day after that, etc.) - hold for 2-4 weeks based on what I can tolerate

* Step 5,6,7...? 2.5 mg (or 2 mg if I want to switch tablets instead of taking halves), dosing 3 days a week, then 2, eventually jumping after 2-4 weeks of my own pacing

I'm okay with Steps 1-4. I'm actually a little glad I'm not dropping right from 5 mg to 2.5 mg, since I'm on Step 2 now and it's not easy! I know that cutting the same amount means it's a larger percent each time, so there needs to be something to make that more gradual. Step 5 might be when I start liquid titration, which she's currently researching to see if it's a better method than the dry cuts and alternate doses that she has used until now.

Edit to add: She does want to reduce my Wellbutrin towards the end of my taper as well, no specifics yet as to when or how quickly. That will be a taper too of course. She thinks the Wellbutrin may be causing anxiety but doesn't want to overlap the tapers any more than seems necessary. I think this part is still TBD since I already cut that dose in half before I went to see her, and I'm pretty early in her schedule to nail that one down yet.

Hi Gwinna,

As you know I'm no expert about the tapering process but your plan sounds ok to me.

I am currently doing a reduction of 75% every 2 weeks ( I finally took the time and did the math)

I am currently down to 2.25 a day (just stated my new cut Sunday 3/4 in am and 1/2 pm.

Good luck!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, Sadoneme!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I agree the taper plan my NP wrote is reasonable. I like that it gives me some flexibility/control without allowing for cuts that are too large or too fast. Right now I'd like to take my last dose within 6 months (April 1 - September 30), because I know it'll be another couple months after that before I'm out of the woods. I can't really go any more quickly than this, because I was taking V for so long.

75% cuts every 2 weeks? Wow! I knew your plan was fast, but I didn't realize just how rapid it was. I hope you continue to be relatively symptom-free and also hope that you will be able to slow down if that rate catches up to you. I know you've been given a lot of warnings and similar advice by others, so I don't want to lecture you. If it works for you, awesome! If not, please don't let yourself believe that slowing down is the same as giving up. It can be much safer in the long run.

My question for other BBs kind of got lost in my wall of text: Has anyone tried alternating doses of dry cut pills, and if so was was your experience?

Thanks,

Gwinna

Hi Gwinna-

This plan sounds reasonable for someone who is not sensitive to benzo withdrawal & fairly symptom free prior to beginning taper. The majority of folks who taper would probably be ok going at this rate.

What would concern me is that IF you are sensitive, this taper will be WAY to fast. I guess they only way to find out is to try it & see.

The long half life of Valium should technically cover alternate dosing so this should be a  feasible option if one is NOT sensitive. I did something similar strictly following  my NP taper plan in the very beginning of my journey. It actually took 6 weeks for the gates of hell to open. This was due to Valium half life & my slow metabolism, but I was a long term user & sensitive. So I guess it is a crap shoot....try it & see  :-\

Best of luck to you... :smitten:

Thanks, Bella!

My metabolism is pretty fast. When I was taking Valium 3 times a day, I definitely noticed when I missed the afternoon dose, which makes me a little worried about interdose withdrawal even though V has such a long half-life. My taper so far has not been symptom free, not by a long shot, but the symptoms have remained tolerable. I did c/t several years back and reinstated within a few months, which I know can make the next taper more difficult. So those are my worries about alternate dosing.

Since this is working for me so far, I think I'm going to stick to it and cross my fingers. If withdrawal becomes more difficult I will absolutely slow down more and take a look at liquid titration. I guess I wasn't expecting alternate dosing and I'm not in love with the idea, but I won't know until I try it with my next cut.

I really appreciate the feedback and support!