Dysautonomia and benzo's

[Go...]

I have Dysautonomia and dealing with this drug free has been a hand full to say the least. Iv been off all meds for 8 years but the day to day is a rough haul. My adrenaline production causes a lot of discomfort, so the Doc and I are trying to address the it with 2 mgs every 3 days or so. It sounds like a nothing dose, but my body responds to it right away. My fears are addiction, Im an ex drug addict, I have been clean 25 years now and one of my drugs of choice was Valium, I was taking 40 to 60 mgs a day for a long time and almost didn't make it during my detox, so even though the tiny dose Im taking now seems like a nothing dose, the effects are amazing as far as taking the edge off. Im just not sure if this is a good idea...Not concerned about upping the dose, I just wont do it, but fear is a funny thing, it just pops up when it comes to drugs. Dysautonomia has a big rep for having crazy reactions to everything ranging from foods temperatures and drugs, to environmental sensitivities. So I here to find some info...God Bless. 

Hi Godslyric

Welcome to Benzo Buddies

Is your 2-3mg ever day or so valium?

For good information on Benzos check out the Ashton Manual.

Check out what other Buddies have done to help with Benzo issues and ask lots of questions.

You will get all the support and friendship that you want here at Benzo Buddies

Hope to see you around the Benzo Buddie Forum!

Teakettle

Hi Godslyric,

Isn't there any other way to treat your condition?  This stuff is dangerous for folks like us, I'm recovering too and when I tasted my first Klonopin, I knew I was in trouble!  Benzo's aren't meant for long term treatment, even if you don't plan on taking more, your body will undoubtedly reach tolerance and want more.

I'm concerned!

Pam

Hi G,

sorry about your medical condition.  You are not alone as far as addiction issues here - myself included.  Welcome to the forum. You will get lots of good advice and support here.

Sara

When were you diagnosed with Dysautonomia?  Was it immediately post your drug addiction period and your detox?  Just wondering.  Seems like a lot of the symptoms of this condition are a lot like benzo withdrawal.  Given that people have been diagnosed with all sorts of conditions including MS during withdrawal, I'm just the type who questions everything now. 

I'm sorry that the condition is being treating by benzos.  I know when I started taking the benzo I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.  My anxiety disappeared overnight.  Then I began to get ultra sleepy and then the anxiety returned with a vengeance.  Even the 2mg Clonazepam wasn't helping the anxiety.  My psych dr wanted to up my dose.  I said no thank goodness.  That's when I knew something wasn't right. 

Im clean and sober 25 years now. I was diagnosed with Dysautonomia last year. Four months ago my little sister died, she was a movie actress in Hollywood, so the media was right on top of me, let alone all the odd circumstances surrounding her death, so the stress was at a very difficult level. 2 mgs of valium is all it takes for me to respond. As a result I kept taking 1 mg every few days to keep my system from going into a full blown  Dysautonomia flair up. Four months later Im sitting with withdrawal symptoms 3 days after the last dose of 1 mg. Its amazing my body has found a way to habituate to 1 mg of valium twice a week in such a short time (4 months) In my using days I was doing 40 to 50 mgs a day...Go figure it. I dont think it will be a drastic withdrawal at this dose, but no joy ride so far.  Many Blessings.  Jeff

Wow, so sorry to hear of your sister's death.  You've certainly been dealing with a lot lately and now withdrawal from benzos.  For that reason you must be congratulated for getting your life back on track without wanting benzos to complicate things.  And also for staying clean and sober for 25 years - some huge achievements.  1mg v is a very small dose, so you're lucky in that respect. 

Four months is not a long time to be on any drug, except valium and the other benzos.  These drugs are a whole different story, people can become addicted to benzos after just a couple of weeks.  Of course not everyone will have a bad experience coming off the benzos, it's definitely not a linear process.  Seems like you are going to have a smoother ride than some, I'm happy for you. 

I've learned about another condition (dysautonomia) that I'd never heard of - sometimes life deals us cruel blows, I just wish there was a better way to deal with these life situations other than benzos.  After such a rough time I hope you get some breaks soon.  Take care.