Clinical drug trials: The strange world of human guinea pigs

[...]

"On Drugs" Podcast

Sometimes things go awry.

CBC Radio · March 13, 2018

In this episode of On Drugs, we'll find out just how wrong testing new drugs can go.

•   Host Geoff Turner tells about his own experience in a clinical trial
  •   Rob Oldfield describes a near death experience after a violent drug reaction
  •   Robert Helms gives us a glimpse into the life of a professional guinea pig

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ondrugs/clinical-drug-trials-the-strange-world-of-human-guinea-pigs-1.4573983

Good listening!  :thumbsup:

"On Drugs" Podcast

Sometimes things go awry.

CBC Radio · March 13, 2018

In this episode of On Drugs, we'll find out just how wrong testing new drugs can go.

•   Host Geoff Turner tells about his own experience in a clinical trial
  •   Rob Oldfield describes a near death experience after a violent drug reaction
  •   Robert Helms gives us a glimpse into the life of a professional guinea pig

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ondrugs/clinical-drug-trials-the-strange-world-of-human-guinea-pigs-1.4573983

Good listening!  :thumbsup:

How often do we hear the term "clinically tested" in commercials?  Or "clinical trial results" in study summaries?  We usually think "well then, this is reliable information.  The gold standard.  I can base my decisions on this."  This episode tells us that this too is false, another strand in the web of lies we discuss here on a daily basis.  But I think there's more to it than even this episode reveals.  The for-profit CRO's that do these trials must have at least some incentive to report positive results to the client...the pharmaceutical company.  They know the client wants badly to get the drug to market.  A disturbing episode, but necessary listening.  Thanks.

P.S.  The Seroquel test debacle at time stamp 47 minutes was rough.  But the powers that be squelched this too, or at least tried.  Where there is money there is deceit.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with everything you say, Photo, which is why for a long time now I've sadly come to take all studies with a grain of salt.  I saw a documentary on TV several years ago, they were recruiting guinea pigs in poverty stricken parts of India.  One elderly woman was trialing multiple drugs for various conditions all at the same time, including a cancer treatment.  The kicker was ... she did NOT have cancer.

It's such a debacle, how do they get away with this?!!! 

Agree with everything you say, Photo, which is why for a long time now I've sadly come to take all studies with a grain of salt.  I saw a documentary on TV several years ago, they were recruiting guinea pigs in poverty stricken parts of India.  One elderly woman was trialing multiple drugs for various conditions all at the same time, including a cancer treatment.  The kicker was ... she did NOT have cancer.

It's such a debacle, how do they get away with this?!!!

Money and power, no morals  :(