What are you currently reading?

[cl...]

Raj Quartet, BBC Full Cast Dramatization.  Not exactly an audiobook, more like listening to a play.  You can hear a shop's bell tinkling when someone enters, horses hooves clip-clopping on cobblestones, someone striking a match...during a wedding, there's music, in addition to speaking roles.  I'm finding British accents soothing. 

Ohhh.... Wow.

I used to love when NPR had the "Mystery Hour", kind of a retro of early Radio-Theatre. Are the BBC ones *.mp3, just squirt over to thumb drive player? Got an old one, just has buttons...

Thanks

LC

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Aj...]

• [Da...]

• [be...]

Raj Quartet, BBC Full Cast Dramatization.  Not exactly an audiobook, more like listening to a play.  You can hear a shop's bell tinkling when someone enters, horses hooves clip-clopping on cobblestones, someone striking a match...during a wedding, there's music, in addition to speaking roles.  I'm finding British accents soothing. 

Ohhh.... Wow.

I used to love when NPR had the "Mystery Hour", kind of a retro of early Radio-Theatre. Are the BBC ones *.mp3, just squirt over to thumb drive player? Got an old one, just has buttons...

Thanks

LC

Hi.  I"m listening on CD format.  I don't know about Mp3, but I wasn't looking for that.  It's worth a search.  Sorry I couldn't provide more help in that regard.

Hi.  I"m listening on CD format.  I don't know about Mp3,

CD = YAY!

Piece of cake, ya drop it in the tray, pull up Audacity (I run Linux) 2 or 3 clicks, and wait. Viola. An mp3 file.

I got no clue how to deal with kobo or kindle's mess (Why can they not release a plain old .epub or pdf?) it's all proprietary software and broken.

THANKS

LC

• 2 weeks later...
Audiobooks, audiobooks, uadiobooks, 3 per week for distraction. Just finished Crazy Rich Asians and The new Ann Patchett book A Dutch House.....

:thumbsup: Annett!!

Avenging Angels:  Young Women of the Soviet Union's WWII Sniper Corps

by Dr. Lyuba Vinogradova  (translated from Russian by Dr. Arch Tait)

THAT's what I call Distracton (and educational... )

Thank you SOooo Much  :smitten:

LC

You are VERY WELCOME LC!!  A friend gave the book to me. I have read sort of alot about WWII & seen the PBS documentaries & all that when I am aware they are showing. A couple of my friends know about this interest I have & also have it to a lesser degree. Interestingly, it is Veterans Day!! You wouldn't know it around where I live but it will be on the news tonight.

My family was very affected by the War. My mother's tiny European village was wiped out in a cross-fire battle between partisans & Germans, causing family casualties. And males from my immediate family, three of them, were in combat, American GIs. Two in the Pacific & one in Army Intelligence who worked in the field who ended up having a military career. The War really affected our lives.

I am interested in all aspects of the War but our then-ally, The Soviet Union has an aspect shared by none of the other Allies when they conscripted all able-bodied, age-appropriate women into front line combat with the Germans along the 1,000 mile Eastern Front. The women (about 800,000) were in combat in EVERY aspect of the War & participated in every major campaign & battle on the Eastern Front after 1942. They fought their way into Berlin in 1945 & took full part in the surrender of Germany. I better stop now or I will go on & on all day  :laugh:  Have a great day!

I am a compulsive reader - it's what get's me through the day. Luckily I have a kindle and a library card.

The Expanse series by james s.a. corey (way better than the tv series) and there are 8 books!! and the story holds up

Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies both by Hilary Mantel (read the books and watch the tv series - both are excellent)

Southern Reach Trilogy

Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (except for the 1st book in the series this is a great series)

Authors to check out:

Mick Herron

Kate Atkinson

Denise Mina

Claire North

Charlaine Harris 

Patrick Rothfuss

Patricia Briggs

Emma Newman

Edan Lepucki

Ann Lecki

N.K Jemison

Louise Penny

This is just a short list ... I tend towards fantasy (but not romance disguised as fantasy- no dragons  or silk nightdresses)

I also like well written spy stuff (think John le Carre), Distopias, Science fiction, historical fiction occasionally, mysteries,  plain old fiction etc.

Not big on non-fiction because life is just too difficult right now and I need escape - preferably off-world.

Can I just say that everyone should read ‘The Over Story’ by Richard Powers.

It is an amazing novel about trees - you will learn so much and be so surprised by what you learn. Wonderful!

I have just started listening to ‘Quichotte’ by Salman Rushdie but not able to concentrate atm so first chapter over and over.

I probably posted something similar earlier in the thread, but here we go:

Summer of Convalescence Reading List

Motherless Daughters: The Legacy of Loss by Hope Edelman

The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron

You Are A Badass: How To Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living An Awesome Life by Jen Sicero

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Mastery by Robert Greene

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollins

7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

That's the order I read them in, not any kind of ranking. (If I had to pick just one to recommend, it would be The Artist's Way.) I have been working on dealing with my issues while in benzo recovery, so self-help has been my jam. I'm still working through 7 Habits right now as I gear up to start my new job next month.

I probably posted something similar earlier in the thread, but here we go:

Summer of Convalescence Reading List

Motherless Daughters: The Legacy of Loss by Hope Edelman

The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron

You Are A Badass: How To Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living An Awesome Life by Jen Sicero

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Mastery by Robert Greene

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollins

7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

That's the order I read them in, not any kind of ranking. (If I had to pick just one to recommend, it would be The Artist's Way.) I have been working on dealing with my issues while in benzo recovery, so self-help has been my jam. I'm still working through 7 Habits right now as I gear up to start my new job next month.

Gwinna, I’ve been wanting to read The Artist’s Way. I might put it next on my list.

Gwinna, I’ve been wanting to read The Artist’s Way. I might put it next on my list.

Yes!!!  ;D

It's a twelve week workbook/course, not just something to read passively. It involves journaling in the morning, going for Artist's Dates, and completing some exercises to help you reconnect with your creative energy. Affirmations are pretty important. There's a faith element but it's not overbearing. I did it when I first stopped working, to help me focus on taking care of myself. Now I'm re-starting it as I return to work so I can build these habits right into my new routines. It has been exactly what I needed to work through post-withdrawal reintegration issues - and I am writing again! I even went to a few open mics with my poetry. Cannot recommend it enough.

Yes!!!  ;D

It's a twelve week workbook/course, not just something to read passively. It involves journaling in the morning, going for Artist's Dates, and completing some exercises to help you reconnect with your creative energy. Affirmations are pretty important. There's a faith element but it's not overbearing. I did it when I first stopped working, to help me focus on taking care of myself. Now I'm re-starting it as I return to work so I can build these habits right into my new routines. It has been exactly what I needed to work through post-withdrawal reintegration issues - and I am writing again! I even went to a few open mics with my poetry. Cannot recommend it enough.

That’s so awesome. Good for you! I’ve heard good things about it. I’ll definitely do it. I turn 40 in January and have wanted to/felt the urge to write since I can remember. Wrote for a paper for a while, strung a few magazine articles here and there, but got side tracked and went to grad school for something I don’t want to do. Big mistake. Now, I’ve decided to write no matter what. I just finished Stephen King’s On Writing yesterday. So Artist’s Way is next! (Sorry for hijacking the thread with my personal story folks)  :)

I loved the Artist's Way! It really got me started writing again when I read it/did the exercises several years ago.  Hmm, maybe it's time to do it again as I make my way day by day through this very difficult taper.  Thanks for the reminder!

I loved the Artist's Way! It really got me started writing again when I read it/did the exercises several years ago.  Hmm, maybe it's time to do it again as I make my way day by day through this very difficult taper.  Thanks for the reminder!

:smitten:  :thumbsup: