• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Aj...]

• [Da...]

• [be...]

Gee, Margaret Atwood is always so great. In the early 80's I read the first novels she published, from 1969 & 1972...The Edible Woman, and Surfacing. I can still remember parts of them. Around the same time I saw Marge Piercy do a reading of her poems to a small audience. Very intense. Good stuff. So moving, I remember I cried some. 

Gee, Margaret Atwood is always so great. In the early 80's I read the first novels she published, from 1969 & 1972...The Edible Woman, and Surfacing. I can still remember parts of them. Around the same time I saw Marge Piercy do a reading of her poems to a small audience. Very intense. Good stuff. So moving, I remember I cried some.

I need to read those books. I also love Annie Proulx from my hometown of Connecticut. The Shipping News in great...

I plan on reading Annie Proulx! I saw the films The Shipping News & Brokeback Mountain & they were great! I hadn't realized she authored the material. I had no idea she was so renowned. I just looked up her Wikipedia. Connecticut is a beautiful state.

I plan on reading Annie Proulx! I saw the films The Shipping News & Brokeback Mountain & they were great! I hadn't realized she authored the material. I had no idea she was so renowned. I just looked up her Wikipedia. Connecticut is a beautiful state.

Yes I’m here now in Connecticut though I moved to Ohio some years ago. It is beautiful. I should have waited for fall foliage season which is not too far off. I saw both movies myself. She moves and lives in the area where she writes her books so she travels a lot. She lived in Newfoundland for Shipping news.

This is a great thread!  So many books, so little time!📚

I just finished The Lost Vintage by Ann Mah.

Starting The Paris Orphan by Natasha Lester.

I finished The Tea Girl from Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See.  It's a historical fiction and it was awesome!!!!

Historical fiction is my favorite genre  ;)

I finished The Tea Girl from Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See.  It's a historical fiction and it was awesome!!!!

I also read her (Lisa See) newest one called The Island of Sea Women about the Haenyeo women divers in Korea and all the atrocities that happened to the Koreans in the 30's 40's and Korean War that I knew very little about!! Another excellent read!  She also wrote Shanghi Girls which I want to read.  Another very interesting read is a biography called Educated by Tara Westover,  whom as a young girl was never allowed to go to school.  She leads a crazy life with her family and finally begins to educate herself, craving more and more!  It was a memorable book for sure!

I also read her (Lisa See) newest one called The Island of Sea Women about the Haenyeo women divers in Korea and all the atrocities that happened to the Koreans in the 30's 40's and Korean War that I knew very little about!! Another excellent read!  She also wrote Shanghi Girls which I want to read.  Another very interesting read is a biography called Educated by Tara Westover,  whom as a young girl was never allowed to go to school.  She leads a crazy life with her family and finally begins to educate herself, craving more and more!  It was a memorable book for sure!

I am reading one now on William Wallace. (Braveheart)  :D

I am reading one now on William Wallace. (Braveheart)  :D.

Cool! 👍🏻 Are you enjoying it? I climbed the William Wallace monument in Scotland.

I am reading one now on William Wallace. (Braveheart)  :D.

Cool! 👍🏻 Are you enjoying it? I climbed the William Wallace monument in Scotland.

Wow, it's good, not great.  Have you read the Phillips Gregory books on the Tudors and Lancasters?  I loved all of them about Henry VIII and his wives l. Excellent  :D

So depressed I can't even read I've gotten so many good books from the library

Kachina,

You have a lot going on now so it is ok to pause.  Take all the time you need!  When you are ready again you will pick up a book.  If you love reading it will always be there for you!

❤,

BLL

• 2 weeks later...

Wishing on the Moon:  The Life and Times of Billie Holiday by Donald Clarke (1994)

A hardcover, I just got it for half-price in a used bookstore. Pages & pages of photos included, some never published before. One of my favorite singers & fascinating females from the 20th century. Yay!

:clap:         

"Meet Me at the Museum: a Novel" by Anne Youngson

The entirely delightful story of the correspondence between an English farmer and a Danish museum director. The premise sounds dry, but the characters are beautifully drawn and the plot is thoroughly engaging.

I was so happy to find a new book I loved that had no disturbing imagery!

"Inside Out: A Memoir by Demi Moore (Hardcover).

Not a big fan, but figured she's led an interesting life & this should be good.  I enjoy biographies; particularly auto-biographies. 

So far, 1 chapter in "yes, it is"  :thumbsup:

On audio, Raj Quartet, BBC Full Cast Dramatization.  Not exactly an audiobook, more like listening to a play.  You can hear a shop's bell tinkling when someone enters, horses hooves clip-clopping on cobblestones, someone striking a match...during a wedding, there's music, in addition to speaking roles.  I'm finding British accents soothing.  This particular one has Indian accents, too (I'd actually found this looking for novels read by the British/Indian actor, Naveen Andrews who was on tv show Instinct.  I enjoyed that show & found his voice very soothing.  Have since learned he was also in Lost.  Didn't find that he did vocals on any audiobooks, though.)

It's a story set during WWII British in India.  Period pieces aren't typically my thing, but it's more about human relationships; the history is more a backdrop, but some parts of the stories, it is an integral aspect.  There are family interactions, crime-drama, romance.  4 stories, in all, where there is some overlap & some characters recur.  9 CDs.  I'd thought this would end up taking me about 6 months, but I'm on disc 7 after about a month + 1/2. I'm loving this, as my eyes are usually dry, itchy & sore these days & so, sometimes end up closing while watching TV, after 9/10 PM.  This is working out as a great solution, which I highly recommend. :thumbsup:

Have ordered several more (CD format), including Stardust by Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere, also by Neil Gaiman (fantasy novels), Vanity Fair, and pure audiobook/not BBC cast, though it is set in current-times London: Flora's Lot by Katie Fforde read by Emilia Fox.  I don't know who Jilly Cooper is, but The Independent states: "Jilly Cooper for grown-ups".  I'd thought it might be something like Bridget Jones & liked Emilia's voice.  Neverwhere cast stars James McAvoy & Natalie Dormer, w/David Harewood, Sophie Okonedo & Benedict Cumberbatch. 

Also, since have discovered a website "Goodreads" which is pretty much what it's title implies.  But, in addition to browsing & recommendations, it looks like it also has a Community Forum.  I've only just discovered it & did join, but haven't taken the time, yet, to explore &/or participate.

Providing link:

https://www.goodreads.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I loved, I miss BOOKS - Sadly the closest Library has little but vapid pulp (Boddice Rippers, Shoot'em ups) I'd gone hunting Tennessee Williams, F. Scot Fitz... It's a LIBRARY! Whiskey Tango... ?

Last really 'whoa' book was C.S. Lewis, "Till we Have Faces"

Caution! Do not sieze upon E. Hemingway in the freebie bin @ used book strore, (just sayin') or Albert Camus. some of H.L. Mencken is hilarious but ... bleak.

I'd not mind to re-read Gloria Naylor's works. Or Toni Morrisons... Phillip K. Dick, H. Ellison, I'd like to visit again. Oddly, I may try Conrad's stories - Joe's insights, his deft 'processing through' the starkness...

The e-book thing is great, but anything to do with smearing fingers on a backlit screen is too damn annoying for me.

BOOK books are darn hard to find. Except at GoodWill, sometimes can get lucky.

LOVE the stuff listed so far :)

LC