What are you currently reading?

[cl...]

[09...]

Cool. I loved Edward Woodward.

I’ve never listened to an audiobook. Maybe I’ll try it.

It's a new way of "reading". I don't read books any more because I don't have reading glasses. I wear 3 way progressives, and I love them for doing most things, but I hate them for reading. I used to buy readers, because that's all I needed, and with them you just buy the magnification you want and you can bring books in as close as you wish. I find reading books to be a huge strain now because progressives just suck for close up. But I need them in my work because while teaching I'm continually changing from close up to computer and piano distance to long distance.

Also, I'm on my computer SO much, writing music, editing it, so I want a change. Listening to books is amazing. I do it in bed, whenever I have trouble sleeping, and while running. I usually have several books going at the same time.

Same. I generally have several books that I’m reading at the same time. I’ve had my new glasses for a week & while I’m used to my regular ones, I’m not withe sunglasses. I he lenses are curved around the sides and something ain’t working yet. If I look at my phone, for instance, it looks stretched and bulging in the middle. It’s driving me crazy.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Aj...]

• [Da...]

• [be...]

[09...]
Trauma And Recovery by Judith Herman. I still have Stranger In A Strange Land open. I read the letter for the first time in the 9th grade. Read it twice back then.

This is a great thread. I’m wondering, though, if there’s an older thread for mostly positive books. Any ideas? Or some kind of master list a buddy ever created?

"Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart" - A Buddist Perspective on Wholeness

by Mark Epstein

I'm loving this book!  And it's totally positive, StephenDedalus.  :)

https://www.amazon.com/Going-Pieces-without-Falling-Apart/dp/0767902351/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2WVDEVRC2OSRX&keywords=going+to+pieces+without+falling+apart&qid=1551365068&s=books&sprefix=going%2Cstripbooks%2C192&sr=1-1

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

White Coat, Black Hat: Adventures on the Dark Side of Medicine. - Carl Elliott

It's very good. It really confirms my experience with doctors and medicine in the last year was not unique to me at all, but more the product of a shady system.

[09...]

It's very good. It really confirms my experience with doctors and medicine in the last year was not unique to me at all, but more the product of a shady system.

Oh. Sounds interesting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
"Kutherian Gambit" series - Michael Anderle. For about the 10th time. Then I'll go back to "Demon Accords" by John Conroe.

gaer do audio books put you to sleep? I listened to one once as my cousin brought my mom for a visit. She put on the audio book and they promptly fell asleep. I was the only one who stayed awake to listen to it. I wish they would put me to sleep, but have not listened to one since.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

I'm going to have to check that out. Although it probably won't tell me anything I didn't already know or suspect.

• 4 weeks later...
The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron is a 12 week course for unblocking creativity. I'm in week 4/5 and it's helping quite a bit!

• 3 weeks later...

I love music & biographies, so currently reading: 

Getting High: The Adventures Of Oasis

Terrific Read!!!  :thumbsup:

Oasis-Getting-High-300x300.jpg

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

I find a father and his son living a 24/7 nightmare of survival horror in an apocalyptic wasteland to be strangely comforting. Plus McCarthy is an unbelievable writer.

I should probably mention that I've already read this one. I tend to read things I know are good when trying to go to sleep. This way, they absorb my attention, I'm never too surprised by what happens, I don't care about putting them down to fall asleep, and I am not annoyed by crappy writing or absurd plot devices. It seems to work pretty well.

"The right dreams for a man in peril are dreams of peril and all else is the call of languor and death."

Don't take my recommendations.  :laugh:

Ever since the US election in 2016 I've been wanting to understand mass movements and how they happen and where they lead. So right now I'm reading "They Thought They Were Free", about Nazi Germany and the citizens and how they lived. Along similar lines a few days ago I finished "The Origins of Totalitarianism" by Hannah Arendt.

In addition to "The Thought They Were Free" I'm currently reading "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson. So basically when I'm in the mood for something lighter I read that, but when I'm feeling okay I read the historical book.

• 2 months later...