• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Aj...]

• [Da...]

• [be...]

The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath by Leslie Jamison. About her fairly intense and prolonged alcoholism and the subsequent recovery, along with an examination of some other famous drunks.

This is actually not all that different than benzo dependence and can produce a similar post-withdrawal syndrome. It was the best I could do when looking for a literary recovery book.

• 3 weeks later...

Raiders of the Nile by Steven Saylor

Ancient Roman history

I have the entire series of roma sub rosa series and am reading it again.

With Benzo memory loss, I've forgotten a lot of what I read in the last 10-15 years.  :crazy:

Orphan X, Gregg Hurwitz. I'm listening on Audible. Scott Brick is the reader. It's a more modern "Equalizer" type story, but the main character is younger, and it's set in our time.

[d7...]

Orphan X, Gregg Hurwitz. I'm listening on Audible. Scott Brick is the reader. It's a more modern "Equalizer" type story, but the main character is younger, and it's set in our time.

"Equalizer" like the show in the 80's? Loved that show if that's it.

[d7...]

The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath by Leslie Jamison. About her fairly intense and prolonged alcoholism and the subsequent recovery, along with an examination of some other famous drunks.

This is actually not all that different than benzo dependence and can produce a similar post-withdrawal syndrome. It was the best I could do when looking for a literary recovery book.

I don't have anyone around who is a recovering alcoholic around lately. (Ha) I have wanted to talk to someone who quit drinking after doing so heavily to discuss how they deal with trauma without a chemical.  I have a ton of alcoholics in my family, but they are either still drinking or clean and won't talk to me LOL. (That, or I chose not to speak to them any more. :D)

Raiders of the Nile by Steven Saylor

Ancient Roman history

I have the entire series of roma sub rosa series and am reading it again.

With Benzo memory loss, I've forgotten a lot of what I read in the last 10-15 years.  :crazy:

I always read series over again, they are so full of info, each time I read it, I discover things I miss :D

Mary, all kidding aside, I've re-read books I enjoy for as long as I can remember. Some like Harry Potter and the early Clan of the Cave Bear series, I read at least three times. A friend once said, there are too many books out there to read some over. That was her choice.  :thumbsup:

Stay strong

Mary, all kidding aside, I've re-read books I enjoy for as long as I can remember. Some like Harry Potter and the early Clan of the Cave Bear series, I read at least three times. A friend once said, there are too many books out there to read some over. That was her choice.  :thumbsup:

Stay strong

I loved Clan of the Cave Bear series, but this is almost embarrassing, I have read the first 5 books of Game of Thrones five times :laugh: :laugh:  but in my defense, it's George R R's fault for taking way too long to publish the 6th book.  I am so mad at him :tickedoff: 

Love the series too.  Love, Mary 📚📚

I didn't know there were Game of Throne books out there. I'll check them out on Amazon. The TV series was good.

Reading them five times means they are awesome books!! :smitten:

I didn't know there were Game of Throne books out there. I'll check them out on Amazon. The TV series was good.

Reading them five times means they are awesome books!! :smitten:

They were and are fabulous, they are all 700 to 1000 pages , so each time you read, you catch something you missed.  They were the first fantasy books I had ever read :D

I can't remember if I mentioned this here:

Orphan X, Gregg Hurwitz

I'm more than 1/2 was through the first book. The main character, Even, is trained basically as a young hit man from around the age of 12, then walks away while still fairly young, goes underground, and works for himself as kind of a modern day "Equalizer". That ended way back in 89, but the idea keeps being reborn. This is set pretty much in the present, and it's been pretty good. Some cliches, but I'm continuing it. Available from Audible, and the reader is Scott Brick, Golden Voice.

Yup! I just wrote more about the book, forgetting that I had written before. It gets pretty complicated, because Even gets involved with a young mother and her son, also in trying to protect a couple women and at this point has people after him. I'll let you know what I think of it when I finish. Scott Brick in an insanely good reader, adds a lot to the story.

[d7...]

Yup! I just wrote more about the book, forgetting that I had written before. It gets pretty complicated, because Even gets involved with a young mother and her son, also in trying to protect a couple women and at this point has people after him. I'll let you know what I think of it when I finish. Scott Brick in an insanely good reader, adds a lot to the story.

Cool. I loved Edward Woodward.

I’ve never listened to an audiobook. Maybe I’ll try it.

Cool. I loved Edward Woodward.

I’ve never listened to an audiobook. Maybe I’ll try it.

It's a new way of "reading". I don't read books any more because I don't have reading glasses. I wear 3 way progressives, and I love them for doing most things, but I hate them for reading. I used to buy readers, because that's all I needed, and with them you just buy the magnification you want and you can bring books in as close as you wish. I find reading books to be a huge strain now because progressives just suck for close up. But I need them in my work because while teaching I'm continually changing from close up to computer and piano distance to long distance.

Also, I'm on my computer SO much, writing music, editing it, so I want a change. Listening to books is amazing. I do it in bed, whenever I have trouble sleeping, and while running. I usually have several books going at the same time.