What are you currently reading?

[cl...]

Trying to read ‘A Country Road, A Tree’ by Jo Baker a novel based on Samuel Becketts war years.

That's cool. I read "Molloy" by Beckett and it was...sort of weird. It switched tone and style pretty dramatically halfway through, which was a relief, since the first part was not all that good. This was really my only experience with Beckett. I'm not sure if this was one of his worse novels (I kind of hope so)? I'm not a huge fan of experimental fiction, so I haven't really gone back.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Aj...]

• [Da...]

• [be...]

Trying to read ‘A Country Road, A Tree’ by Jo Baker a novel based on Samuel Becketts war years.

That's cool. I read "Molloy" by Beckett and it was...sort of weird. It switched tone and style pretty dramatically halfway through, which was a relief, since the first part was not all that good. This was really my only experience with Beckett. I'm not sure if this was one of his worse novels (I kind of hope so)? I'm not a huge fan of experimental fiction, so I haven't really gone back.

You might enjoy the production of Beckett’s short piece ‘Not I’ on YouTube

I think Beckett is an author who I enjoy reading critical interpretations of more than I actually enjoy his works themselves. They often seem a bit grating and obnoxiously equivocal. I'm not really sure what the voice in that play is going on about. And I found I had a hard time paying attention after a couple minutes. What do you think Beckett was trying to say with that piece?

[94...]

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King! 😂😂😂Fantastic book!

I read it many years ago, enjoyed it.... :)

👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

I think Beckett is an author who I enjoy reading critical interpretations of more than I actually enjoy his works themselves. They often seem a bit grating and obnoxiously equivocal. I'm not really sure what the voice in that play is going on about. And I found I had a hard time paying attention after a couple minutes. What do you think Beckett was trying to say with that piece?

I love it!

Recently on the BBC there was a documentary about woman with Tourettes who decided to perform it and thought Beckett intimately understood the disabled body. I get that from it. I also think there is some sort of trauma embedded in her story. I think it makes a great deal of sense.

It is about pain and suffering.

I love it!

Recently on the BBC there was a documentary about woman with Tourettes who decided to perform it and thought Beckett intimately understood the disabled body. I get that from it. I also think there is some sort of trauma embedded in her story. I think it makes a great deal of sense.

It is about pain and suffering.

That makes sense. I think I can feel her pain and suffering through my screen  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Bessel van der Kolk M.D. "The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma".

Description is available here.

I read it before I knew this was going to happen to me.  It's a great book and explains a lot about our lives effecting our bodies, unfortunately I haven't really thought it would be much help through this, this is just beyond the book.  It will help explain some of the reasoning we ended up on this poison.

[94...]

Bessel van der Kolk M.D. "The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma".

Description is available here.

YES! 👍🏻 I have that book in iBooks. I refer to it often. 🙌🏻

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just finished The Scottish Prisoner by Diana G

And started another English historical fiction book about The Normans.

Just in case I have always wondered why I enjoy that genre so much.  Now I know, Stut is marrying into my family  ;D  :smitten: :smitten:

"In The Realm of Hungry Ghosts" by Gabor Mate is excellent, if you don't mind reading about people even unluckier than you. It's by an addictions doctor who works in the downtown East Side of Vancouver.

Just a warning for those experiencing significant anxiety: some of the stories are pretty brutal.

Anyone else read this?

[94...]
“Death Grip” by Matt Samet Awesome book about Benzo withdrawal. Re-reading “Stranger In A Strange Land” by Robert Heinlen & “Saving Normal” by Allen Frances.

“Death Grip” by Matt Samet Awesome book about Benzo withdrawal. Re-reading “Stranger In A Strange Land” by Robert Heinlen & “Saving Normal” by Allen Frances.

I was halfway through "Death Grip" a couple months ago, but I stopped because it was too dark. Too intense while going through withdrawal. Like when he takes a bunch of Valium in Europe then experiences paradoxical agitation, I was like "God this guy is so f***ed". I didn't even want to know what happened to him because it made me feel physically ill to think about it.

[94...]

I was halfway through "Death Grip" a couple months ago, but I stopped because it was too dark. Too intense while going through withdrawal. Like when he takes a bunch of Valium in Europe then experiences paradoxical agitation, I was like "God this guy is so f***ed". I didn't even want to know what happened to him because it made me feel physically ill to think about it.

This book is VERY intense. Not for everyone going through withdrawal.

• 2 months later...
Listening to last 3 parts of Anthony Powell’s ‘Dance to the Music of Time’ - 12 book series split into 4 chunks on Audible. Excellent!