Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2171 times)

[Buddie]

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2019, 03:04:15 pm »
You made a great decision to read The Game of Thrones for your first fantasy books.
Thanks for sharing!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2019, 07:20:18 am »
I can't remember if I mentioned this here:

Orphan X, Gregg Hurwitz

I'm more than 1/2 was through the first book. The main character, Even, is trained basically as a young hit man from around the age of 12, then walks away while still fairly young, goes underground, and works for himself as kind of a modern day "Equalizer". That ended way back in 89, but the idea keeps being reborn. This is set pretty much in the present, and it's been pretty good. Some cliches, but I'm continuing it. Available from Audible, and the reader is Scott Brick, Golden Voice.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2019, 07:26:54 am »
Orphan X, Gregg Hurwitz. I'm listening on Audible. Scott Brick is the reader. It's a more modern "Equalizer" type story, but the main character is younger, and it's set in our time.

"Equalizer" like the show in the 80's? Loved that show if that's it.
Yup! I just wrote more about the book, forgetting that I had written before. It gets pretty complicated, because Even gets involved with a young mother and her son, also in trying to protect a couple women and at this point has people after him. I'll let you know what I think of it when I finish. Scott Brick in an insanely good reader, adds a lot to the story.

[Buddie]

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2019, 12:57:39 am »
Orphan X, Gregg Hurwitz. I'm listening on Audible. Scott Brick is the reader. It's a more modern "Equalizer" type story, but the main character is younger, and it's set in our time.

"Equalizer" like the show in the 80's? Loved that show if that's it.
Yup! I just wrote more about the book, forgetting that I had written before. It gets pretty complicated, because Even gets involved with a young mother and her son, also in trying to protect a couple women and at this point has people after him. I'll let you know what I think of it when I finish. Scott Brick in an insanely good reader, adds a lot to the story.

Cool. I loved Edward Woodward.

Iíve never listened to an audiobook. Maybe Iíll try it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2019, 03:22:11 pm »

It's a new way of "reading". I don't read books any more because I don't have reading glasses. I wear 3 way progressives, and I love them for doing most things, but I hate them for reading. I used to buy readers, because that's all I needed, and with them you just buy the magnification you want and you can bring books in as close as you wish. I find reading books to be a huge strain now because progressives just suck for close up. But I need them in my work because while teaching I'm continually changing from close up to computer and piano distance to long distance.

Also, I'm on my computer SO much, writing music, editing it, so I want a change. Listening to books is amazing. I do it in bed, whenever I have trouble sleeping, and while running. I usually have several books going at the same time.

[Buddie]

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2019, 03:44:23 pm »

It's a new way of "reading". I don't read books any more because I don't have reading glasses. I wear 3 way progressives, and I love them for doing most things, but I hate them for reading. I used to buy readers, because that's all I needed, and with them you just buy the magnification you want and you can bring books in as close as you wish. I find reading books to be a huge strain now because progressives just suck for close up. But I need them in my work because while teaching I'm continually changing from close up to computer and piano distance to long distance.

Also, I'm on my computer SO much, writing music, editing it, so I want a change. Listening to books is amazing. I do it in bed, whenever I have trouble sleeping, and while running. I usually have several books going at the same time.

Same. I generally have several books that Iím reading at the same time. Iíve had my new glasses for a week & while Iím used to my regular ones, Iím not withe sunglasses. I he lenses are curved around the sides and something ainít working yet. If I look at my phone, for instance, it looks stretched and bulging in the middle. Itís driving me crazy.

[Buddie]

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2019, 08:04:07 am »
I'm now on Nowhere Man, the second book in the Orphan X series.

[Buddie]

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2019, 01:13:31 pm »
Trauma And Recovery by Judith Herman. I still have Stranger In A Strange Land open. I read the letter for the first time in the 9th grade. Read it twice back then.

[Buddie]

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2019, 04:57:59 pm »
This is a great thread. Iím wondering, though, if thereís an older thread for mostly positive books. Any ideas? Or some kind of master list a buddy ever created?

[Buddie]

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2019, 04:58:55 pm »
The Bible,  Eusebius and Josephus.