Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 4946 times)

[Buddie]

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 11:06:36 am »
The Coffee Trader

David Liss, historical novel
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 06:49:13 am »
"Will I Ever Be Good Enough?" by Karyl McBride, PhD. Excellent book. Lots of tears and difficult emotions.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 11:23:01 am »
The new Dan Brown book, "Origins."

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 12:53:12 pm »
Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community by Robert D. Putnam

very good :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 01:36:51 pm »
Trying to read ‘A Country Road, A Tree’ by Jo Baker a novel based on Samuel Becketts war years.

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 01:59:03 pm »
Trying to read ‘A Country Road, A Tree’ by Jo Baker a novel based on Samuel Becketts war years.

That's cool. I read "Molloy" by Beckett and it was...sort of weird. It switched tone and style pretty dramatically halfway through, which was a relief, since the first part was not all that good. This was really my only experience with Beckett. I'm not sure if this was one of his worse novels (I kind of [...] so)? I'm not a huge fan of experimental fiction, so I haven't really gone back.

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 02:41:47 pm »
Doctor Sleep by [...] King! 😂😂😂Fantastic book!

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 04:00:20 pm »

That's cool. I read "Molloy" by Beckett and it was...sort of weird. It switched tone and style pretty dramatically halfway through, which was a relief, since the first part was not all that good. This was really my only experience with Beckett. I'm not sure if this was one of his worse novels (I kind of [...] so)? I'm not a huge fan of experimental fiction, so I haven't really gone back.

You might enjoy the production of Beckett’s short piece ‘Not I’ on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LDwfKxr-M

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 05:07:22 pm »

You might enjoy the production of Beckett’s short piece ‘Not I’ on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LDwfKxr-M

I think Beckett is an author who I enjoy reading critical interpretations of more than I actually enjoy his works themselves. They often seem a bit grating and obnoxiously equivocal. I'm not really sure what the voice in that play is going on about. And I found I had a hard time paying attention after a couple minutes. What do you think Beckett was trying to say with that piece?

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 05:37:13 pm »
Doctor Sleep by [...] King! 😂😂😂Fantastic book!

I read it many years ago, enjoyed it.... :)