Anti histaminic and ivermectin set back??

[Wa...]

Hello everyone

So ive been clean for one year now.. 

The other day i was prescribed a dose of ivermectin ( for parasites ) and two days of anti histamine because i got a pretty bad skin allergie due to bed bugs.. my body was swelling up..itching etc.. anyway since then ive been experiencing horrible fatigue and extreme dissociation and confusion ( like who am i and what am i doing here type of confusion). Cant  snap out of it. Its been a week now since i took those drugs.

Anyone else experienced this? Anti histamines and this ivermectin causing such a bad set back ??

Thanks to all

• 2 years later...

I think it is most like the antihistamine as they are negative modulators of GABA.  The Ivermectin should not cause any problems alone.

klonkar

[9b...]
I had to take albenza which i think is the same drug class as ivermectin and I had  confusion. I was on the floor crying and didn’t know why. 

I think it is most like the antihistamine as they are negative modulators of GABA.  The Ivermectin should not cause any problems alone.

klonkar

Antihistamines are not negative regulators of GABA. They are negative regulators of histamine. More precisely histamine receptor antagonists.

[80...]

klonkar

Antihistamines are not negative regulators of GABA. They are negative regulators of histamine. More precisely histamine receptor antagonists.

Thank you. People post not knowing what they are talking about.

Maugham 1:  I should have written that antihistamines are antagonists of GABA.  Histamines are positive modulators of GABA so I wasn't thinking clearly when I said negative modulator and I apologize.  My point is that antihistamines, specifically baby Benadryl, affected me badly while I was still on a Rx of benzos and, now, almost two years post jumping off Clonazepam.  I try to steer clear of anything that is a GABA antagonist. 

Here is a link addressing my point.  This post clearly states that antihistamines have a antagonist affect on not only the benzo receptor sites but GABA sites as well.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6108979/

Klonkar

Maugham 1:  I should have written that antihistamines are antagonists of GABA.  Histamines are positive modulators of GABA so I wasn't thinking clearly when I said negative modulator and I apologize.  My point is that histamines, specifically baby Benadryl, affected me badly while I was still on a Rx of benzos and, now, almost two years post jumping off Clonazepam.  I try to steer clear of anything that is a GABA antagonist. 

Here is a link addressing my point.  This post clearly states that antihistamines have a antagonist affect on not only the benzo receptor sites but GABA sites as well.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6108979/

Klonkar

It's still unclear to me what you mean. You mention "histamines", but I only know of one histamine: histamine.

I'm sorry benadryl affected you negatively. As with any drug, some people are affected negatively by them.

I don't know how this is connected, but I noticed one fact: during my withdrawal, one of the many symptoms I have is this itching. And on those nights when I drank the antihistamine pill, I had severe mental symptoms for the next 2 days and 2 nights.

Oke what about using less potent natural antihistamines such as garlic and nettle thee?

So far it seems fine to use them in my benzo withdrawal. But im not sure if they ramp up my systoms the next day as im naturally in the process of my brain adjusting to a cut. Inconclusive but seemed fine.

Anyone got a take on this? Also are all antihistamine pills a no go while you are on benzo?

Got them laying in my medicne capnet fintended for one of the withdrawal symptons but am very hastitent to use them ever.

Oke what about using less potent natural antihistamines such as garlic and nettle thee?

So far it seems fine to use them in my benzo withdrawal. But im not sure if they ramp up my systoms the next day as im naturally in the process of my brain adjusting to a cut. Inconclusive but seemed fine.

Anyone got a take on this? Also are all antihistamine pills a no go while you are on benzo?

Got them laying in my medicne capnet fintended for one of the withdrawal symptons but am very hastitent to use them ever.

Nettle is not an antihistamine. It is the opposite, it actually contains histamine.

Nettle is not an antihistamine. It is the opposite, it actually contains histamine.

The hairs on the leaves are high in histamine, you have to cook it to destroy the hairs and histamine. It has been touted as having anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory properties, but research is weak, though people use it for this purpose, typically making a tea with it. Also, you have no idea how much anti-histamine you are getting, some companies make capsules using freeze dried nettle, but again it's debatable as to it's effectiveness.

I'll just stick to my Claritan, hasn't bothered my W/D, and it's a regulated product, unlike the nettle.

Older antihistamines have CNS properties, newer ones don't have the sedation effect. As for the study Klonkar posted, many use the sedating properties of older anti-histamines, including Benadryl, to get sleep during benzo W/D, for many they are effective and don't interfere with W/D. Walrus1969 did not mention which anti-histamine. While the Benzo Information Coalition website is outdated on some things, anti-histamines are not on the list of items of concern. The wide use of them discussed on the Insomnia board show most have no issues using them.

As you said:

As with any drug, some people are affected negatively by them.

Oke, thanks for the info that is very helpful!

Ive got prevalin cetrizine 10mg but ive been scared to use it. is this one okey to use?

Oke, thanks for the info that is very helpful!

Ive got prevalin cetrizine 10mg but ive been scared to use it. is this one okey to use?

Do you mean Cetirizine (sold under brand name Zyrtec in the US). It's a 2nd generation antihistamine like the Claritin I use. In the US, it comes in 5 mg and 10 mg. I would suggest you try cutting one in half, and see how you feel. Very few people on this board experience issues with anti-histamines. The vast majority use the older ones for sleep. Cetirizine is a newer one, so drowsiness isn't an issue. No one can predict whether it will cause problems for you. That's why I suggest you try 5 mg first. It's half life is between  6.5–10 hours, so even if it isn't agreeable with you, most of it will have been eliminated by the following day (24 hours later).

Wonderful tip! thank you, ill save this for when I feel the need to try it because of an allergic symptom or because of a benzo w/d symptom.

yeah Cetirizine only here in the netherlands it is sold under the brand prevalin.

• 4 months later...

My research says Ivermectin is a Gaba positive modulator of GABA.  I took it for 14 days and felt wonderful, but when I came off it, it was hell.  It took me a while to feel better.  I didn't realize what was happening when I took it but wanted to start another course the other day and looked it up.  I wouldn't take it again for the world.

Also, I stay as far away from histamines as possible, even try to keep to a low histamine diet.  Histamines means glutamate and for me that is not a good thing.  We all know about MSG!! 

Just my thoughts,

Klonkar

Klonkar, I had to take albendazole for a week for a parasitic worm infection.  I have been having a resurgence in wd sx rivaling acute. 

However, I also had to take doxycycline, an antibiotic, so that could have done it too.  I finished the ab two weeks ago and the antiparasitic one week ago.  No signs of sx abating. 

Finally I've been taking an antihistamine every other day to sleep but that doesn't seem to be working. I might have to cut that out to try to let my cns settle. 

All this is very hard.

• 4 months later...

My research says Ivermectin is a Gaba positive modulator of GABA.  I took it for 14 days and felt wonderful, but when I came off it, it was hell.  It took me a while to feel better.  I didn't realize what was happening when I took it but wanted to start another course the other day and looked it up.  I wouldn't take it again for the world.

Also, I stay as far away from histamines as possible, even try to keep to a low histamine diet.  Histamines means glutamate and for me that is not a good thing.  We all know about MSG!! 

Just my thoughts,

Klonkar

Are you feeling better now days?