Schedule please

[Ti...]

Please can someone give me a schedule for 5% reduction from 1 mg valium . Dry cut, every three weeks.  Very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Hi Tina3 :smitten:

Why do you prefer Dry cut? How are you going to dry cut? How to weigh minuscule amount of tablets? If you have a doubt go to the Help section in here.

You can also via that link select the application and apply your own parameters. If need help, do not hesitate.

Wish you a good start.

:hug:

Thank you for responding to my post.  I’m actually on 2 mg valium.  I want to taper off 1 mg and remain on 1 mg for a while.  If I taper 0.125mg every three weeks would that be ok.  I tried to taper

.25 mg every two weeks, got down to 1.25.mg.  Felt terrible. Had to go back up to 2 mg.  I really

feel lost.  Doctor no help.  Was told to take a little bit off pill every two weeks.  I really prefer to dry cut.  I’m 79 and could really use your help.  What do you think of the emery board taper?  Not to sure how to do that.  I would probably scrape once everyday for two weeks, then twice a day for two weeks, etc.

Hi Tina,

I'm down to <1.25mg by using an emery board. 

I bought a packet of cheap emery boards from the $2 Shop and began my taper.  I figured the lighter I filed, the *safer* I would be in keeping to the rule of cutting by 5-10% of my of last dose. 

Jim Hawke is right in saying that you won't be able to weigh how much you file away, and for me it was a case of trial and error, which can be a drawback. 

I take my emery board and mark a 1" line on it to keep my swipes within parameter. 

I increase by 1-2 swipes each month because I don't want to go too fast.  So, same number of swipes each day for one month, then next month increase by 1-2 swipes.  I'm doing 2 swipes. 

Best rule cut small and hold longer and why I give a month between cuts. 

Please PM me Tina with any questions because I know how confusing this process can be and we are all frightened of getting it wrong. 

I'm pretty much a novice too Tina but more than happy to share my experience. 

Dee  :smitten:

Hi Tina3  :smitten:

If I taper 0.125mg every three weeks would that be ok

As you are today with 2mg of Valium, this cut is about 6.25%/3 weeks. This is equivalent to 4% every 14 days. This is even lower than the general recommendations to reduce between 5 and 10% every 10, 14 days.

While you can certainly continue with this pace if you wish, I would like to highlight the fact that you are doing what we call Cut-and-Hold. With this approach you cut and wait, few days or few weeks, until you stabilize before cutting again. The other solution would be to cut smaller but on a daily basis so your daily dose decreases day after day. Compared to the Cut-and-Hold method the daily reduction method is less prone to symptoms.

To do a dry cut, some people use the swipe method but most buddies use a precision gram scale (USD 20 from Amazon) to weigh out the needed quantity. To facilitate the task, they use to prepare a batch of several (Ex: 10) tablets and reduce them to powder with a pestle and mortar. When they need their dose, they just weigh out the right quantity by means of that same gram scale.

Hope I partially answered your questions.

Wish you a good start and a smooth journey towards a full recovery.

Hi Dee,  thank you for responding to my post.  Does it matter what type or color emery board is? 

Did you use the same one for the month or change once in the while.  How are your symptoms

doing this method of withdrawal.  Sorry so many questions.  I will see my Doctor in two weeks and see what he thinks.  If I start this method and have a question I’ll pm you.  Tina

Hi Jim,  thanks again for getting back to me.  I have to figure out what’s the easiest method for me to

taper.  I wii talk to my Doctor and tell him about the methods you suggested.  Here’s hoping he

will consider helping me with one.  I appreciate your help very much.  Tina

Hi Tina,

No, it makes no matter what colour board you use, just that they are all of the same gauge.  Mine come in a pack of about 12, all of the same gauge.  Different colours. 

Mine are those cheap Chinese ones and measure about 8" long which allows me to rule off 8 individual measures.  There is enough space within one of the 1" measure to re-use a few times, and a good idea to keep your original board as an example of your first cut to keep it as consistent as possible. 

This is the problem Tina, there is no real consistency and hope this doesn't come back to bite me on the bum. 

After the first 1" measure is 'full' I can either turf it out or move down the board to the next measure.  I chuck them out after first use and have quite a few boards hanging around.  :)

It is so difficult to describe symptoms Tina as they change with the wind.  Some days are worse than others and am still experiencing DR, nausea, anxiety, tinnitus, slight tremor, fatigue, back and neck pain, interrupted sleep, absolutely no motivation, tender breasts, tingly and weak in legs, GI, and my ears ache sometimes, no appetite.  They are manageable (a relative term) but unpleasant.  Uncertainty and fear don't help. 

But things are improving Tina and feel more stable.  I think it's going to take a while, but I don't care. 

I could relate so well when you said you had suffered a nervous breakdown, and am so sorry as have felt same myself. 

I am considering using a scale Tina but for the time being I am going to continue dusting away with my emery board.  It was good to read the calculations Jim made for you and that you are well within the recommendations.    :thumbsup:

Dee

Hi Dee,  so sorry to hear you are dealing with such difficult symptoms.  Thanks for all the information

about the Emory board and how to use it.  You’ve been a great help.  Wishing you a smooth and full

recovery.  You take care, Tina

Hi Jim,  I don’t know if I did this correct.  0.125 off of 1 mg.  I am on 2 mg valium

1mg a.m. dose

pm dose 0.875 mg, 0.750mg, 0.625, 0.500, 0.375,  0.250mg, O.125,  Eash dose two to three weeks.  I don’t know if this is correct.  Thanks for your help.

Hi Tina3,

.125 mg over 2 mg is 6.25%. If you hold the cut for 2 weeks then it will be 6.25%/14 days and it falls into the recommended range of 5%-10% every 10-14 days.

Now imagine after a while you arrive to 1 mg. The cut of .125 mg now will be done over 1 mg. That is 12%/14 days, the double of the initial rate. Going down further, this rate can only increase.

So to minimize withdrawal symptoms it would be best to reduce.125 mg/14 days for the first 1 mg. For the second trunk of 1 mg, reduce .0625 mg/14 days.

Hope I answered your question.

Have a good start!

PS: Have you thought about a daily reduction instead of a reduction by 2-3 weeks?

Dear Jim,  I’m a little confused, in reply #4 you mentioned .125 is a 6.25%/3 weeks - 4%/2 weeks.

Is 6.25%2 or 3 weeks?  I really could use your help, could you please give me a schedule for when I’m ready to do the last 1mg valium.  That would be 0.625mg/14 days.  I thought by tapering slowly

3 weeks was best when down to a low dose.  I’m very anxious because my last taper was .25mg

every two weeks.  By the time I reached 1.25mg I had to go back up to 2mg.  I just talked to my Dr

and he feels that daily reduction will be to difficult for me.  I really appreciate your thoughtfulness in

helping me .  Tina  😊

In my msg #4 I wrote:

this cut is about 6.25%/3 weeks. This is equivalent to 4% every 14 days.

I confirm that .125 mg over 2 mg is 6.25%. If this cut is hold for 2 weeks, then the reduction rate is 6.25%/14 days and it is within the general recommended reduction speed. Should you decide to hold for 21 days instead, then the EQUIVALENT reduction rate to 6.25%/21 days would be 4.2%/14 days.

You will have to decide by yourself whether to hold a same dose for 2 or 3 weeks. If you wish to go cautious then 3 weeks will give your body more time to adapt to the cut.

I just talked to my Dr and he feels that daily reduction will be to difficult for me.

I fear he has not realized that the daily cut will NOT be .125 mg but .125/21 (3 weeks) = .042 mg to remove day after day from your daily dose.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I am on 2mg valium, 1mg AM - 1mg PM.  I was only going to taper the PM dose only.  I started 1 swipe May 1 until the 11 of May on the PM dose.  I decided to taper the AM dose as well.  I’m still only swiping once,  Do you think I should start 2 swipes.?  My Dr says 1 swipe a month.  I think that’s a little to slow.  What do you recommend?  I do know liquid titration is not for me.

I was wondering if you would be able  to calculate the approximate time I might be able to jump.

As your swipe by strength and length of the gesture might be different from Dee's swipe, if you are able to provide me with the number of swipes that reduce the 2 mg tablet to half then I'll try to give you the estimates on the quantity you are currently reducing per day and how long your taper will probably last.

I’m on 2 mg valium.  I take 1 mg twice a day.

I counted the swipes on 1mg,  I got almost 150 swipes. Does that sound like a lot.  Maybe I’m pressing to light.  I’ve decided to add 2 swipes every two weeks.  I swipe twice a day.  I started May 1, 2018.  2 swipes for two weeks, just started 4 swipes that I will do for two weeks, then 6 swipes, etc.  what do you think of that schedule?  Is it to fast or to slow.

- 150 swipes to complete 1 mg tablet means an average cut of 0.007 mg/swipe

- 2 new swipes/week added will reduce 2 x 0.007 mg = 0.014 mg/week that is equivalent to 0.028 mg/14 days.

- 0.028 mg over 2 mg daily is about 1.4%/14 days

Taking into consideration that the general recommendations are to reduce 5-10% every 10-14 days, your taper rate is LOW! If you wish then instead of 2 swipes added per week, you could increase up to 8. That will make a taper rate of about 5-6% every 10-14 days.

PS: Have you ever thought about doing a Liquid micro taper?

I’m on 4 swipes for 2 weeks on both doses,  I was going to add 2 swipes every(two weeks.) You mentioned instead of two swipes per (week) I could increase up to 8.  Do you mean after two weeks my next swipe wii be 4 plus 8 = 12 swipes for two weeks. then 20, 28 etc?  It seems like so much twice a day.

- Every swipe will reduce about 0.007 mg

- 2 swipes per 2 weeks will reduce 0.014 mg/14 days.

- 0.014 mg over 2 mg daily is about 0.7%/14 days

As the reduction is definitely low, you can try to increase the number of swipes from 2/2 weeks to 16/2 weeks. By cutting 0.112 mg/2 weeks (= 0.007 * 16) , it will be a reduction of 5.6%/14 days

Besides all the above calculations, I would warmly recommend you to abandon this method as there is no way to be accurate on the dose. I'd rather you have a try with the Liquid Taper where each day you just draw up the dose you need following a precise written schedule. Many buddies, math-haters included, have healed with this taper method. So will you.

If I decided to do that method, would water be ok?

If you can get your Valium medication in liquid then water will be fine. If you have only tablets then we MUST dissolve them first with Vodka (tiny quantity).

How would I know what mg I’m at because I have started the emery board taper.

You take the initial 2 mg and subtract the quantity that has been removed by the number of swipes of that moment. For example you decide to start Liquid Taper when you arrived to 20 swipes. The starting dose will be then 2 mg - 0.007 mg x 20 =  1.86 mg

I’m concerned that I don’t know how many mg I’m at.

You will have a schedule for your taper plan where there is the quantity of benzo you will ingest, the equivalent volume of solution (in blue) you will need to swallow that day. You will have the space to write down the date when the dose has been taken.

5RapfCz.png

PS: Provide support via PM is forbidden by BB rules. May I ask you to post directly in the forum thread? You can later PM me with the link if you wish.

Hi Jim,  so sorry, I didn’t know.  I wil post directly in the forum thread.

I might consider starting June 1, 2018.  Just one question for now.  This is my schedule of swiping for

May 1 to 31

1 swipe pm only for 10 days

2 swipes am & pm 10 days

4 swipes am & pm. 11 days

How many swipes for the month of May?

What mg will I start out with for the month of June?

Sorry I am very confused, not only am awful in math but have terrible brain fog.

You must get so many questions for help concerning tapering.  Thank you.

I’m keeping in touch with Dee. She has to see her Dr today.  Hope she’s ok.

Tina

This is my schedule of swiping for May 1 to 31

1 swipe pm only for 10 days

2 swipes am & pm 10 days

4 swipes am & pm. 11 days

How many swipes for the month of May?

The question might be interpreted a number of ways. Here is one.

1Ckd3Os.png

What mg will I start out with for the month of June?

1.944 mg

Sorry I am very confused, not only am awful in math but have terrible brain fog.

Well, that makes two :D

Hi Jim,

Will you make a schedule for me please.  What type of syringe do I need?  How do I make up the solution?  Sorry so many questions.  I hate it when I don’t know what I’m doing.  I’m really very confused on what to do.  Can I use milk instead of vodka?

I will be dosing twice a day.  I will stop swiping the end of May.  Hold a week or so, then start liquid taper.

Waiting to hear from Dee.  She wants us to work together with this liquid taper. 

Thanks for your help.

Tin, hugs

Tina, hugs

Hi Jim,

I’m going to pick up the syringes today.  Is it ok to use milk instead of vodka! 

Thanks,

Tina

Is it ok to use milk instead of vodka

Would you be able to obtain your medication in liquid? If yes then we won't need neither Vodka nor milk.

Jim, I can’t get valium in liquid form. 

Amazon has these syringes, before I order, are these what you requested

10 ml 10 cc oral medication syringe 1cc/1ml

Baca exact medication liquid syringe 1cc/1ml  4 pk

Tina

Hi Tina3,

I used a different model bought from a local pharmacy but both BAXA ExactaMed models seem OK to me.