Liquid taper: combine tablets with solution?

[Ji...]

Hi :smitten:

Solutions are made by dissolving tablets in alcohol, propylene glycol, milk,...Water is then added to make up the right volume. They can also be made as a suspension liquid by means of chemical products like Ora-Plus, SyrSpend...They can be prepared at home or by pharmacists. A compound liquid from pharmacist is usually a mixture of suspension agent and benzo.

The reactions from users vary upon ingestion of one or other type of solutions. From limited feedback I received and several readings, my interpretation is:

(Reference: only tablet: Positive +++)

- Dissolved with alcohol: Positive ++

- Dissolved with others (Eg: Milk): Positive + or Positive

- Suspended: Neutral

- Dissolved with water: Negative ---

When all of a sudden users switch from tablets to liquid, several scenarios can occur. Users might feel:

1. As usual, with no new withdrawal symptoms. This is the ideal and expected case.

2. Light withdrawal symptoms user usually associates to a slight dose reduction (5% to 10%)

3. So unsettling like when one stops cold turkey

The combination with tablets can come to rescue in case 2 and 3. Basically you divide by 4 or by 2 the adverse impact due to the introduction of liquid. You can for instance take 3/4 in tablets and the remaining of your dose in liquid to complete your daily dose. If you can only split your tablet to 2 then you'll take half of a tablet and the remaining in liquid to complete your dose. In this way you don't have to drink ALL in liquid with its rough effects. You will continue to have liquid-related adverse effects but now the effects will be limited by the lower volume of liquid you drink.

A different aspect is about the liquid being more expensive when prepared by pharmacist. The same bottle now lasts longer because you take tablets in parallele. Should you prepare by yourself your solution, then you will pass less time for the alchemist work as the need for liquid solution is now reduced, compensated by the tablets.

Provided users feel comfortable to split a tablet to 2 or 4, even with split parts not rigorously the same, combine tablets with solution can bring real benefits.

Your write-up doesn't mention manufactured  Rx liquid benzo solutions.  In the US, Rx liquid diazepam, lorazepam, and ativan are all available.  All use either alcohol or PG as a solvent.

Hi builder,

Thanks for your remark.

I have a doubt. Do you mean that there are also commercial Rx liquid benzo solutions besides the homebrew/pharmacy-prepared solution and that should be integrated in the previous write-up? If it was the case then I'm not sure where to insert it.

Your write-up doesn't mention manufactured  Rx liquid benzo solutions.  In the US, Rx liquid diazepam, lorazepam, and ativan are all available.  All use either alcohol or PG as a solvent.

Builder you are amazing! I've completed 50% of my taper because of your help! It's not without side effects but I feel accomplished! Thankyou for all your help!  :smitten::thumbsup:

I checked out the liquid valium online, and the dose increments only seem to be .5, e.g. 2mg twice a day or 2.5 mg twice a day.  I don't think it can be drawn up into a syringe for .25 or .10, for instance.  Pediatric liquid prescriptions can, but a doctor would have a hard time writing this for an adult.  It seems like homemade or compounding pharmacy would be an option for smaller daily dose cuts.

Hi builder,

Thanks for your remark.

I have a doubt. Do you mean that there are also commercial Rx liquid benzo solutions besides the homebrew/pharmacy-prepared solution and that should be integrated in the previous write-up? If it was the case then I'm not sure where to insert it.

There are commercial Rx liquid solutions available in the US for diazepam, lorazepam, and alprozalam.  There are actually 2 liquid diazepams, a PG based 1mg=1ml solution, and an alcohol based 5mg=1ml concentrate.  The lorazepam and alprozalam are both PG based.

And if your doc will write you a scrip for the liquid benzo, there is nothing easier and more reliable for tapering than Rx liquid.  (Its what I use)

I see I inadvertantly said "ativan" in my previous post.  It should have been alprozalam.

Builder you are amazing! I've completed 50% of my taper because of your help! It's not without side effects but I feel accomplished! Thankyou for all your help!  :smitten::thumbsup:

:thumbsup:  ;)

I checked out the liquid valium online, and the dose increments only seem to be .5, e.g. 2mg twice a day or 2.5 mg twice a day.  I don't think it can be drawn up into a syringe for .25 or .10, for instance.  Pediatric liquid prescriptions can, but a doctor would have a hard time writing this for an adult.  It seems like homemade or compounding pharmacy would be an option for smaller daily dose cuts.

You solve those issues by diluting the Rx liquid, just like you would with your homemade liquid solution.

Most folks dilute their Rx diazepam 9:1, so the diluted solution is .1mg per ml.

Can you tell me how you are doing your taper? I like your rate. Like are you dissolving .5 mg tablet in alcohol then diluting with water to 100 ml and decreasing by a certain amount of ml per day or week?

Thank you. I’m glad it’s working for you.