need titration schedule

[le...]

I have tried twice to get off klonopin and it hasn't worked (TERRIBLE withdrawal).  I thought about trying the cross-over to Valium, but this seems more doable and less nerve-wracking.

My info:

1.  I'm taking .25 mg a day once per day.

2.  I have .5 mg pills, but can probably get the .25 mg klonopin wafers if necessary.

3.  I'm planning to get a 100 ml cylinder (having a scientist for a husband is finally coming in handy...)

4.  I think that I will reduce 1 ml per day, but if you have a better idea, I'm all for it. 

I'd like to start this as soon as possible (perhaps this Saturday 5/22/10). 

This is amazingly helpful, earlier today before I found this site, I was imagining having to take a leave from my job to get off of this stuff. 

Thanks,

Levine

Hi levine

Using .5mgK and mixing with 100ml of liquid, I would reduce 4ml/day for the first 40ml, then I would reduce 2ml for the next 30ml and finish with 1ml/day for the balance. This would be a conservative

reduction adjusting rate of cut for size of reduced dose. You would be off the klonopin in about 55 days. If you feel good keep on cutting and don't down shift, if your symptoms become intolerable hold a couple of days and maybe cut even slower.

Hope this helps!

Teakettle

Thank you so much Teakettle!  I talked to my doctor and she wants me to do a cross-taper with Valium and not titration.  I was all set for titration, but I'm going to trust her...

Unfortunately, her equivalency ideas are different from what I read in the Ashton Manual.  She seems to think that 2 mg of Valium is equivalent to .25 mg Klonopin.  According to the Ashton manual, .25 mg is equivalent to 5 mg of Valium.  I need to make my own schedule.  Does this sound right?  I'm going from .25 mg Klonopin once per day.

Week 1: .125 mg Klon + 2.5 mg Valium

Week 2: 5 mg Valium

Then, I'll dose down between .5 mg and 1 mg per week. 

Thank you an incredible amount for your help!!!

Hi levine

Doctors are human and are not always correct! According to Ashton and every other medical source I have looked at .25mgk=5mg valium. Maybe you could help the good Doctor by providing a copy of the Ashton equivalency tables?

Hey what ever you do you will heal! I am at .25mgK today and will take at least 50 days to complete my titration.

As a standard disclaimer we always say work with your doctor!

Regardless of how you taper you will have 100% of my and every other Buddies support levine!

Teakettle

levine.  its funny your doctor wants to switch you to valium from clono.

If you were on xanax or another really short half life drug, and were taking large amounts of it , this would make sense, but clono , in itself , has a reasonably long half life ,and many here have gotten off this drug ( me included)  by doing 10% per week with very little problems.

Second thing is..... as far as daily dosages, you are on a relatively low dose, so you do not have that far to go to be benzo free.

by all means if you trust your doctor,and you feel comfortable with her approach , make the switch,  but as tea says .25 mg. of k equals 5 mg. of valium, so just have her double check this for you.

What ever means you take to get off , we will support you and be here to help you thru.

st

Hi Softtail,

I think that my psych isn't exactly sure what to do with me.  She's being nice about this, but I'm pretty sure has never had to deal with anyone having this much trouble getting off klonopin.  I know my dose is pretty low, but my body is not agreeing.  I went from .5 to .25 with absolutely no problems.  But from .25 to .125 I became incredibly agonizingly sick.  I'm trying to take the mindset of many people on this board that slow and steady and eventually done is the best approach (as opposed to rushing off the meds and getting sick).  As long as I don't have bad withdrawals when I cross-taper I'll be glad to be able to go slowly off the valium since the pills are so much smaller. 

I'm so glad I found this site!  I've never been one to post on a forum (I'm usually just a lurker), but it's just so amazing to find that so many people are going through or have gone through the same agony as me.  And to find so many people that came out the other end benzo free!!

All the support so far has been so helpful.

Levine