Ativan to Klonopin (ATTN: Beeper)

[an...]

Hello BB,

I'm currently on 0.40625 mg of Ativan once daily. In the recent past, I'm feeling like it may be leaving me high and dry with panic-like symptoms that begin about 11-12 hours after I take the dose. I must also mention however that I'm on 18.75 mg of Paxil and have been on it for almost 15 years with several unsuccessful attempts at tapering.

In 2010, I had an issue with sleep so I was prescribed Ativan then had a tough time tapering off of it so I switched to Klonopin (doctor does not approve of Valium). Is it reasonable for me to do a switch, again? I remember being on this forum during a part those two tough years and Beeper was the one giving me assistance along the way. Beeper, are you still around?

Hi anona,

I dont think Beeper is around much these days- but could pop in to surprise us!

I found that repeat tapers were more difficult than the previous ones, but that's not always the case. I hope that once you are off this next time it will be your last time with benzos as there is always the risk that the taper becomes more challenging.

Have you tried direct tapering the ativan? It looks like yes based on your current dose. You could continue that, or it would be reasonable to try crossing gradually to klonopin with your doctors support. I have heard from other ativan takers that it can have a nasty rebound effect like you are describing.

Regarding the paxil- I also tapered an ssri (lexapro) and when I was learning about that I remember that paxil was a short half life and some people cross to zoloft to taper paxil. Please double check that idea as it has been a while and I might have the drug names mixed up.

I wouldnt try tapering both at the same time! I did the SSRI first as I hadnt been on it as long, but either way works.

:thumbsup:

JKS

Hi JKS and thank you for the reply.

Benzodiazepines are an absolute last resort for me. I have only been on them once before, from 2010 - 2012 and hadn't touched them in 5.5 years until February of this year.

I'm currently tapering directly from Ativan but darn, most days seem and feel tough due to the symptoms. I have switched from Ativan to Klonopin in the past however this time, my starting dose was lower and I'm not sure what the equivalent of Klonopin is for the amount of Ativan I'm currently taking. Would anyone be able to help me figure this out? I have tried entering my numbers in online Benzo coverting calculators but the answer comes out to 0.

About Paxil--I didn't know it was/is possible to cross over to something with a longer half-life?! I will have to look further into this as soon as I complete the Benzo taper.

BEEPER? Please chime in!

Hi JKS and thank you for the reply.

Benzodiazepines are an absolute last resort for me. I have only been on them once before, from 2010 - 2012 and hadn't touched them in 5.5 years until February of this year.

I'm currently tapering directly from Ativan but darn, most days seem and feel tough due to the symptoms. I have switched from Ativan to Klonopin in the past however this time, my starting dose was lower and I'm not sure what the equivalent of Klonopin is for the amount of Ativan I'm currently taking. Would anyone be able to help me figure this out? I have tried entering my numbers in online Benzo coverting calculators but the answer comes out to 0.

About Paxil--I didn't know it was/is possible to cross over to something with a longer half-life?! I will have to look further into this as soon as I complete the Benzo taper.

BEEPER? Please chime in!

0.40625 of Ativan =  .203125 of Klonopin

Thank you, Bella!

Were you able to get the equivalency using an online converter?

Hi anona-

No..I just used simple math. Klonopin 2 times as strong as Ativan. So you would need 1/2 the amount of Klonopin to be equivalent.

The math would be: Ativan /2 = Klonopin so: 0.40625mg of A / 2 =  .203125mg of K

Hello BB,

I'm currently on 0.40625 mg of Ativan once daily. In the recent past, I'm feeling like it may be leaving me high and dry with panic-like symptoms that begin about 11-12 hours after I take the dose. I must also mention however that I'm on 18.75 mg of Paxil and have been on it for almost 15 years with several unsuccessful attempts at tapering.

In 2010, I had an issue with sleep so I was prescribed Ativan then had a tough time tapering off of it so I switched to Klonopin (doctor does not approve of Valium). Is it reasonable for me to do a switch, again? I remember being on this forum during a part those two tough years and Beeper was the one giving me assistance along the way. Beeper, are you still around?

Klonopin/Clonazepam is never intended to use longer then two weeks for severe panic disorder or seizures. I'm on "C" right now... tapering and the drug has caused me a multitude of problems.  I personally wouldn't even consider that drug unless it was a LAST resort!  :thumbsup::smitten:

My symptoms seem to present themselves in a non-linear fashion--sometimes mild while other times moderate. Since the start of this topic, I'm still continuing to taper from Ativan. Depending on how strong the symptoms become as the taper progresses, I may or may not make the switch to Klonopin.

All Benzos are bad news whether we're talking about Ativan or Klonopin and all of them are difficult to discontinue. :o