exhaustion and exercise

[jo...]

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and first time I've posted.  I'm six months out CT off of 1-2 mg. of Ativan.  Along with many miserable symptoms, I'm having trouble being able to exercise.  If I do a gym class which includes light weights I find myself for days after not feeling well.  Also, does this extreme exhaustion get better.  Would appreciate any insights.

Hi joy,

Unfortunately this was true for me, exercise in the first 6 months after I C/T'd was impossible.  But it's not all bad news.  Slowly after that I was able to start exercising, I'm 11.5 months out now and exercise regularly.  But there's a qualifier to that: I still get revved up really bad after exercise sometimes, but other times I feel ok, there's no rhyme reason for this, that's just how it is.  Right now I'm in a horrible wave for 3 days, partly due to intense exercise.  My problem is I don't know how to exercise lightly, I usually go full throttle, sometimes I'm ok afterwards, but sometimes I have to pay heavy price for days.  You will be able to exercise again without getting revved up after, but for now I would stick to light exercise and then build up from there.  Wishing you the best of luck!

Hi Ginger  127,

Its very interesting that my real name is Ginger.  Thank you so much for that encouragement about exercise. I like you,  don't really know how to do light exercising.  Before tolerance set in I was an avid gym rat and enjoyed kickboxing, bar bell classes and the like.  Its been very hard for me to be as sedentary as I've had to be through the last 2-3 years of tolerance and then withdrawal.  It really helps to know this will get better.  Do you have any insight on the extreme exhaustion that seems to ebb and flow?  This is such a gift to have someone respond to me about my questions.  Thank you for your care and generosity.  Joy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and first time I've posted.  I'm six months out CT off of 1-2 mg. of Ativan.  Along with many miserable symptoms, I'm having trouble being able to exercise.  If I do a gym class which includes light weights I find myself for days after not feeling well.  Also, does this extreme exhaustion get better.  Would appreciate any insights.

hello hello

Yes the extreme exhaustion lifts. My energy levels started to return around the year mark (felt like regaining a superpower, so good). I regained that spring in the step energy feeling over the 8-10 month period post CT. That's the good news. The not so good news is the exercise is still out of reach for the most part. I, like ginger tend to push myself but even if i dont push myself, its usually a toin coss when going to the gym. A toin coss with days to weeks of misery in the balance so its quite the disincentive to going to the gym. I mean I can go, its just you have to be so gentle it doesnt really feel like a workout, more like a light stroll around the gym playing with stuff. Not at all what I was used to in my training pre benzos. That whole "push yourself" energy at the gym works against you a bit I find.