Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

fermented food during tapering

[M2...]

Hi guys ,

I just started tapering Ativan 0.5 mg twice a day . i have bad acid reflux .  cant eat anything .I  also started eat fermented food like sourdough bread and sourkrauts  and fish .I 'v heard those are not good

last night i ha really bad heart racing . should i stop them . please help ?

I have only heard positive things about fermented foods. They a very good for the gut health. some people may not be aware of the mind/gut connection. About 95% of serotonin is formed in the gut. I don't think it would cause your heart symptoms.  :)

Hi Peace flower ,

but I have heard that they have high histamine level which is not good during tapering .

That's true and I think one must have an intolerance to histamine.

I am not sure really. I do have an immune compromised gut due to Crohn's disease and some fermented foods are good for me.

[9d...]

Hi Peace flower ,

but I have heard that they have high histamine level which is not good during tapering .

I found this problem however once I took Quercetin to control the mast cells releasing the histamine

things settled and I am back to some of the food that were causing the high histamine problems.

Listen to your body.

:smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
I would stay away from fermented foods for now due to their high histamine. Have you tried Gastrex for acid reflux; it is from Standard Process. I have mild gastritis and I just started taking it again. The first time was two years ago when I had gastritis again due to a medication. It worked wonders on me then. I had to take with an Okra Pepsin as well. I learned this through a functional medicine doctor. Having acid reflux is no fun. Have you tried aloe vera juice. I am drinking veggie alkaline juice every day with cabbage and it helps tremendously. Diet is of utmost important. Try to eat small meals and drink some water.