How would I use Valium as a crossover while tapering off Clonazepam?

[Ra...]

Raqeul:

This is just my opinion.

You mention you have had a lot of life stress and it sounds like you had a tremendous loss in your fiancee. I would say don't discount how much life stress can throw a wrench into a taper. And grief is just very very hard. Life stress can really be very difficult. I just went through a period of nonstop nauses for two months due to a job change--I have changed jobs every two to three years without difficulty, but doing it while tapering was nearly impossible. And I was holding during this time.

If I were you, rather than switching anything up I would think about holding (and updosing and holding if you need to). While I applaud your determination to get off the drugs, this may not be the right time in your life to keep cutting through symptoms and hoping for the best. There is a long hold support group on BB; you may want to check it out. I'd also be hesitant to switch to valium during this time. See if you can get stable on the klonopin somehow. It is really hard in times like what you are going through to figure out what is the benzo taper and what is normal reaction to grief and other life stress. Good luck and take good care of yourself.

So I looked at your signature. Are you currently taking Remeron and what exactly are you tapering from? Im NOT going to updose cause I'm at 0.25 and I am NOT going back to 0.5 after doing a very time consuming titration taper. No way! I am not going to waste another six months of my life. Everyone is telling me to do something different. Some say Valium cross-over others say no. Some say melatonin or CBD oil and others say no. The internet says things work on one web-site and on another there's contraindications.  I'm so confused. When the rubber hits the road I have to do what works best for me and right now I'm going to hold. I'm going to cut my 0.5 mg pills in half and hold for awhile. Then I will move on but if I wait until my life is not stressful I'll be waiting forever because my life is always stressful and I'm always going through something.  It's been like that for two decades and it's called "life". It's whatever. I'm thinking that posting here is making it worse.  :'(

So I looked at your signature. Are you currently taking Remeron and what exactly are you tapering from? Im NOT going to updose cause I'm at 0.25 and I am NOT going back to 0.5 after doing a very time consuming titration taper. No way! I am not going to waste another six months of my life. Everyone is telling me to do something different. Some say Valium cross-over others say no. Some say melatonin or CBD oil and others say no. The internet says things work on one web-site and on another there's contraindications.  I'm so confused. When the rubber hits the road I have to do what works best for me and right now I'm going to hold. I'm going to cut my 0.5 mg pills in half and hold for awhile. Then I will move on but if I wait until my life is not stressful I'll be waiting forever because my life is always stressful and I'm always going through something.  It's been like that for two decades and it's called "life". It's whatever. I'm thinking that posting here is making it worse.  :'(

Hey there-

As confusing as it may be, always try to stick with your gut feeling when making difficult decisions. It is so true that there are many contradictions on the internet. This is probably due to the fact that this process in not a linear process. What has worked for one may not necessarily work for another. Only you know what is best for you. I would say to get a SOLID back-up, alternative plan that you are comfortable with. Then, after your "hold" you will have the option of continuing your taper how ever you see fit. Whether it be with klonopin or with Valium or even with a combo of both (yes, I have seen this done successfully) btw, the Valium should give you sleep if that is what you are looking for. All options are open to you. What ever method(s) you do decide to go with, we are here for you to help you implement whatever strategy you choose to move forward with...let us know  :thumbsup:

Thanks. I am trying to understand how to cross-over to Valium so I can sleep. I only take 0.25 mg's of Clonazepam and I have severe insomnia. I want to take the Valium so I can sleep but I do not know how much to start with while on my Clonazepam. Everyone is giving me different amounts. I don't want to take too much but need enough to sleep while going through this taper. I'm doing a water titration at the rate of 10 percent a month. It's slow but I want it that way. I'm holding right now for two months at 0.25 mg's.  I only take Clonazepam... no other meds at all. Thank you!  :smitten:

I'm not advocating for what to do, but I think it is important to understand that the whole basis of the ashton protocol is that even though valium isnt the exact same as other drugs (varies from person to person) it is similar enough that it is a suitable replacement.

Imagine you didnt want to eat butter anymore, you could replace it with the equivalent quantity of olive oil. Different name but serves essentially the same purpose.

I found klonopin and valium to be even more similar than butter and olive oil. I also got such immediate relief from insomnia with my first 0.125 to 2.5 mg transition that I wouldnt have wanted to do it more gradually.

Take care,

JKS

Hi :smitten:

I hate to confess it but I'm very hesitant while reading the positions of both NJstrength and JustKeepSwimming. They proposed different approaches: hold with NJstrength and crossover with Valium with JustKeepSwimming and while I like both of them I'm not sure which direction would best suit RaquelRocks.

I'm hesitant because I'm personally against the introduction of a new beast in my organism as I don't know how my body will react to it. Will it be a welcome or will it be a fight? And the same question comes over and over again: is one benzo not harmful enough? >:( . Unfortunately I also happened to read stories, and they are frequent, where switching to Valium turned people sick.

On the other side Valium is known as able to provide sedation by calming the brain and nerves. It could help in this case RaquelRocks to sleep. If she can sleep then during the sleep time the CNS will have the chance to carry on its healing work without the stress from the conscious thoughts while awake.

Chewing my nails :idiot:

I am tapering from klonopin, started at 1 mg and down to .37 mg. I added remeron because I could not sleep and was vomiting all the time, which is not conducive to holding down a job, which I am committed to doing (plus I have to work). I have incorporated one long hold into my taper (and an updose) last year as I was having crazy amounts of anxiety after having the flu and bronchitis necessitating antibiotics and two courses of steroids. I think that totally messed me up; it's unfortunate I lost the time but if I hadn't updosed and held I would not have been able to continue.

I have been holding my current dose since mid February in anticipation of a job change I made earlier this month; I will begin cutting again slowly this week. I take 15 mg of remeron daily; I sleep well usually and get sick to my stomach much more infrequently. My most troublesome symptom is nausea.

Yes, things are always stressful but some times are more stressful than others, at least that is what I have found. I tried to taper while my father was dying but that for me was a dumb decision. My long hold corresponded to the months leading up to sending my first son to college, which worked out because I was very stressed then.

I personally am tapering slow to remain functional, I don't care how long it takes if I am mostly living my life. Different things work for different people. There is unfortunately no one right answer. I am also a long term user and burdened with insomnia my whole life so this has been a challenge for me. I truly hope you find your way.

Hi :smitten:

I hate to confess it but I'm very hesitant while reading the positions of both NJstrength and JustKeepSwimming. They proposed different approaches: hold with NJstrength and crossover with Valium with JustKeepSwimming and while I like both of them I'm not sure which direction would best suit RaquelRocks.

I'm hesitant because I'm personally against the introduction of a new beast in my organism as I don't know how my body will react to it. Will it be a welcome or will it be a fight? And the same question comes over and over again: is one benzo not harmful enough? >:( . Unfortunately I also happened to read stories, and they are frequent, where switching to Valium turned people sick.

On the other side Valium is known as able to provide sedation by calming the brain and nerves. It could help in this case RaquelRocks to sleep. If she can sleep then during the sleep time the CNS will have the chance to carry on its healing work without the stress from the conscious thoughts while awake.

Chewing my nails :idiot:

Haha Jim... chewing on your nails!!  :laugh: Thank you for messaging. I know... right? I was totally against doing the cross-over a year ago when the doc actually gave me a script for Valium. I didn't know what I was doing at that point so I never took them... in fact I returned them to my pdoc so he didn't think I was taking them.  Anyway my dilemma is this. I have been tapering for six months (water  titration) with great success and taking nothing but the Clonazepam. I've only recently tried Benadryl because it used to help me sleep. When I tried it a week ago it didn't work... in fact it made me itch. Going without sleep is ruining my life. So I can continue on this road of suffering while I watch my life fall apart and do nothing or I can try Melatonin, Valerian, Unisom etc.  All the research I have done shows me that even on OTC meds and supplements I could develop bad side effects or they could make my taper worse. So then no matter what I do I could possibly end up with a bad result like losing my job, getting another illness because of sleep deprivation, etc or having bad reactions to even natural sleep alternatives. Or... I can try to do the Valium (small dose) suggested by Heather Ashton and see how it goes. No solution or choice is going to be perfect so there is no great result. And with that realization I have to ask myself what works for me? What works best for my lifestyle? At this point in time I'm going to try the Valium. If it doesn't work I'll have to re-think this and pursue a different route. I'm only on 0.25 mg's of C... I take no other meds consistently so I'm pretty close to being med free... I'm running into a problem and have to find a solution.  I'm not going to updose on Clonazepam. So I have to keep trying, keep looking for a solution.  ???

I am tapering from klonopin, started at 1 mg and down to .37 mg. I added remeron because I could not sleep and was vomiting all the time, which is not conducive to holding down a job, which I am committed to doing (plus I have to work). I have incorporated one long hold into my taper (and an updose) last year as I was having crazy amounts of anxiety after having the flu and bronchitis necessitating antibiotics and two courses of steroids. I think that totally messed me up; it's unfortunate I lost the time but if I hadn't updosed and held I would not have been able to continue.

I have been holding my current dose since mid February in anticipation of a job change I made earlier this month; I will begin cutting again slowly this week. I take 15 mg of remeron daily; I sleep well usually and get sick to my stomach much more infrequently. My most troublesome symptom is nausea.

Yes, things are always stressful but some times are more stressful than others, at least that is what I have found. I tried to taper while my father was dying but that for me was a dumb decision. My long hold corresponded to the months leading up to sending my first son to college, which worked out because I was very stressed then.

I personally am tapering slow to remain functional, I don't care how long it takes if I am mostly living my life. Different things work for different people. There is unfortunately no one right answer. I am also a long term user and burdened with insomnia my whole life so this has been a challenge for me. I truly hope you find your way.

Another option would be to gradually replace one with the other. Maybe try this gradual substitution for a week then hold & see how you feel as JKS suggests.

Here is a guide that gradually replaces the Clonazapam with the Valium using all liquid.  :thumbsup:

Click on image

3FhN5nP.png

Bella, would I be using the 1ml tuberculin syringe for this method with 25mls of solution?  Thank you!

Thank you and sorry that at times my responses appear as rude.  I am really not a rude person but lack of sleep changes me.  I am just not going to reinstate the med.  I've worked very hard on the titration which is time consuming and difficult.  Not going back to the beginning.  I figure that no road on this taper is going to be easy but I do know that I cannot deal with no sleep and that is NOT an option for me.  So I need to figure out how to get sleep and what path is the best for me and my particular situation.  I do appreciate everyone's suggestions as I realize everyone is trying to help.  I just gather the suggestions...look them over and decide which ones work and which ones don't.  This is a personal struggle even though we all are here for the same reason...to get off these hellish pills!  :tickedoff: Have a great week and much luck on your own journey.  Thank you so much. :thumbsup::smitten:

I dont think I have ever seen a cross titration to valium recommended before. Here is my concern with that:

Maybe valium will help, maybe it wont. If you try crossing over half your dose (for most people I would recommend 1/4 to 1/3 at a time.... but I was thinking you were taking a fraction of a pill and that was your smallest) then you will know pretty quickly how it feels for you. If you do it very gradually it will take longer to feel what is happening and if you decide you dont like it, longer to unwind it. Maybe since you do have the liquid set up going on, you could try 0.1875 mg clonazepam and 1.25 mg valium as a starting point. It's a middle ground between crossing half at once and titrating slowly. You would then stay there for a few days, taking the same combination once a day every day and see how you feel. If you just hate the valium (I think it is unlikely, but maybe) you can go right back to 0.25 mg C and you havent lost much time.

My preference would still be to go to 0.125 mg C and 2.5 mg valium, just b/c it seems like it might helps with sleep. You get to choose RR!

JKS

I dont think I have ever seen a cross titration to valium recommended before. Here is my concern with that:

Maybe valium will help, maybe it wont. If you try crossing over half your dose (for most people I would recommend 1/4 to 1/3 at a time.... but I was thinking you were taking a fraction of a pill and that was your smallest) then you will know pretty quickly how it feels for you. If you do it very gradually it will take longer to feel what is happening and if you decide you dont like it, longer to unwind it. Maybe since you do have the liquid set up going on, you could try 0.1875 mg clonazepam and 1.25 mg valium as a starting point. It's a middle ground between crossing half at once and titrating slowly. You would then stay there for a few days, taking the same combination once a day every day and see how you feel. If you just hate the valium (I think it is unlikely, but maybe) you can go right back to 0.25 mg C and you havent lost much time.

My preference would still be to go to 0.125 mg C and 2.5 mg valium, just b/c it seems like it might helps with sleep. You get to choose RR!

JKS

I'm thinking of holding at 0.25 mg's of "C" for a couple months and adding 5 mg's of Valium to  stabilize in order to get sleep and then while being on the steady amount of Valium in pill form... titrating off the 0.25 mg's of  clonazepam at a faster rate since I will be taking Valium.  Then once done with the "C"... I would follow the Ashton Manual in Schedule 3 where it decreases the Valium by 1mg every two weeks or maybe even slower depending on how I feel.  I need something for this Insomnia. I cannot do this. I have an appt with my Pdoc tomorrow morning and he is going to want a plan.  So I have today to figure this out. I'm figuring at the rate I'm looking at I could be finished with the taper in 6-months instead of a year.  ::)

JKS

Or should I take 0.25 mgs of Valium with 0.25 mg's of "C"? I am not comfortable reducing the Clonazepam in half all at once. That's too much for me. I need to stabilize right now. I just need some sort of a plan or my pdoc will start taking control of my taper and I don't want that. He doesn't have a clue as to tapering... he just hands out scripts and gets mad when I don't want to take them.

I agree with your thinking to keep the klonopin the same and add in a small amount of valium. I personally would not reduce the klonopin in half.

Also, it is always better to change one thing at a time to see what is causing what. This also allows you to right away see if the valium is working for sedation; if not, you can move on.

Previously you said you didnt want to undo all the hard work you had done to reduce klonopin. Adding 5 mg valium is essentially the same thing as going back to 0.5 mg klonopin. If that is what you want to do, that's your decision, but you should do it with all of the information. Valium is easier to taper because it is less potent, but it is still a benzo that needs to be tapered with all of the associated challenges. I dont think of it as reducing the klonopin in half, since you are replacing it with an alternative at the same time.

Or should I take 0.25 mgs of Valium with 0.25 mg's of "C"? I am not comfortable reducing the Clonazepam in half all at once. That's too much for me. I need to stabilize right now. I just need some sort of a plan or my pdoc will start taking control of my taper and I don't want that. He doesn't have a clue as to tapering... he just hands out scripts and gets mad when I don't want to take them.

Here is a plan similar to what you described above. I tried to simplify it as much as I could. The plan substitutes C with V in equal amounts. (.20mg of V is not really that small an amount.)Without up dosing you can substitute the V in .20 increments until you find out if the V will work for you or not. You can always "hold" at the "first day" dose of .24mg C/.20mgV & just see how you feel then increase V as you see fit, then begin taper when you are ready. btw- this plan can be tweaked anyway, any time you want :thumbsup:

Using the liquid has several advantages. You will not have to deal with "cutting pills" & you will also be taking more consistent doses & also see if the V will actually help you with sleep.

I followed  a person on here a few years ago who was on C for years & had insomnia issues. This person substituted just enough V to help with sleep & then began taper with the C first then tackled the V last. So really it boils down to whatever works best for you. You can only try.....

With this first part of this plan a (25 days)you will not be cutting or up dosing, just substituting with a reasonable amount of V. You can show this to your doctor, then hold as long as necessary at what ever level works. When you are ready, proceed with your taper according to how you are feeling.

CHG4664.png

Hope this is plan is sufficient enough to get your doctor on board!  :smitten:

Here is a plan similar to what you described above. I tried to simplify it as much as I could. The plan substitutes C with V in equal amounts. (.20mg of V is not really that small an amount.)Without up dosing you can substitute the V in .20 increments until you find out if the V will work for you or not. You can always "hold" at the "first day" dose of .24mg C/.20mgV & just see how you feel then increase V as you see fit, then begin taper when you are ready. btw- this plan can be tweaked anyway, any time you want :thumbsup:

Using the liquid has several advantages. You will not have to deal with "cutting pills" & you will also be taking more consistent doses & also see if the V will actually help you with sleep.

I followed  a person on here a few years ago who was on C for years & had insomnia issues. This person substituted just enough V to help with sleep & then began taper with the C first then tackled the V last. So really it boils down to whatever works best for you. You can only try.....

With this first part of this plan a (25 days)you will not be cutting or up dosing, just substituting with a reasonable amount of V. You can show this to your doctor, then hold as long as necessary at what ever level works. When you are ready, proceed with your taper according to how you are feeling.

CHG4664.png

Everything you said here and did for me is just amazing. I'm truly tearing up as I read this.  For once... this all makes perfect sense and you even broke it down into my language. I think you are right about starting small and tweeking to what works for me. In all honesty I couldn't feel much worse then I feel today and I'm at the point of isolating, not eating and no wanting to be around anyone.  Sleep deprivation and me don't like each other. So I'm not sure if the cross-over will work but at this point I'm willing to try anything to get some relief and I'm going to try small to see what works or if it works.  If not then I don't know what I'm going to do because I cannot stay like I am right now. I am concerned with what my pdoc is going to say when he sees me tomorrow because there is no hiding my tiredness and look of fatigue. He isn't on board with me tapering because he likes to push meds. Long story... I am hoping all goes well tomorrow. I truly appreciate your help so very much. Thank you Bella.  :smitten::thumbsup:

Previously you said you didnt want to undo all the hard work you had done to reduce klonopin. Adding 5 mg valium is essentially the same thing as going back to 0.5 mg klonopin. If that is what you want to do, that's your decision, but you should do it with all of the information. Valium is easier to taper because it is less potent, but it is still a benzo that needs to be tapered with all of the associated challenges. I dont think of it as reducing the klonopin in half, since you are replacing it with an alternative at the same time.

Yah... I can see now how 5 mg's of "V" is possibly too much. I didn't really understand that when I posted my message. This is all new to me and I've never taken Diazepam. I'm going to start small on the Valium as y'all suggest and see if I can get relief.  Thanks for all your help and for taking your time to reply. Blessings.  :smitten:

CHG4664.png

Just to clarify? Is it 20 mg's of Valium, 0.20 mgs or 2 mgs. I'm confused and I don't know how much Valium to start with?

Just to clarify? Is it 20 mg's of Valium, 0.20 mgs or 2 mgs. I'm confused and I don't know how much Valium to start with?

It is .20mg to start increasing by .20mg increments. Start with .20mgs increasing as necessary.

I revised the chart again:

NJPBACX.png

The Dr. wouldn't give me the Valium to do the Ashton Manual taper. He gave me Gabapentin I took one last night and mind felt "fried". I was up all night crying. I dontt know what is wrong with me.  :'(