Author Topic: How would I use Valium as a crossover while tapering off Clonazepam?  (Read 565 times)

[Buddie]

Re: How would I use Valium as a crossover while tapering off Clonazepam?
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 09:02:41 pm »
Previously you said you didnt want to undo all the hard work you had done to reduce klonopin. Adding 5 mg valium is essentially the same thing as going back to 0.5 mg klonopin. If that is what you want to do, that's your decision, but you should do it with all of the information. Valium is easier to taper because it is less potent, but it is still a benzo that needs to be tapered with all of the associated challenges. I dont think of it as reducing the klonopin in half, since you are replacing it with an alternative at the same time.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Or should I take 0.25 mgs of Valium with 0.25 mg's of "C"? I am not comfortable reducing the Clonazepam in half all at once. That's too much for me. I need to stabilize right now. I just need some sort of a plan or my pdoc will start taking control of my taper and I don't want that. He doesn't have a clue as to tapering... he just hands out scripts and gets mad when I don't want to take them.

Here is a plan similar to what you described above. I tried to simplify it as much as I could. The plan substitutes C with V in equal amounts. (.20mg of V is not really that small an amount.)Without up dosing you can substitute the V in .20 increments until you find out if the V will work for you or not. You can always "hold" at the "first day" dose of .24mg C/.20mgV & just see how you feel then increase V as you see fit, then begin taper when you are ready. btw- this plan can be tweaked anyway, any time you want :thumbsup:

Using the liquid has several advantages. You will not have to deal with "cutting pills" & you will also be taking more consistent doses & also see if the V will actually help you with sleep.

I followed  a person on here a few years ago who was on C for years & had insomnia issues. This person substituted just enough V to help with sleep & then began taper with the C first then tackled the V last. So really it boils down to whatever works best for you. You can only try.....

With this first part of this plan a (25 days)you will not be cutting or up dosing, just substituting with a reasonable amount of V. You can show this to your doctor, then hold as long as necessary at what ever level works. When you are ready, proceed with your taper according to how you are feeling.

Hope this is plan is sufficient enough to get your doctor on board!  :smitten:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:34:16 am by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Or should I take 0.25 mgs of Valium with 0.25 mg's of "C"? I am not comfortable reducing the Clonazepam in half all at once. That's too much for me. I need to stabilize right now. I just need some sort of a plan or my pdoc will start taking control of my taper and I don't want that. He doesn't have a clue as to tapering... he just hands out scripts and gets mad when I don't want to take them.

Here is a plan similar to what you described above. I tried to simplify it as much as I could. The plan substitutes C with V in equal amounts. (.20mg of V is not really that small an amount.)Without up dosing you can substitute the V in .20 increments until you find out if the V will work for you or not. You can always "hold" at the "first day" dose of .24mg C/.20mgV & just see how you feel then increase V as you see fit, then begin taper when you are ready. btw- this plan can be tweaked anyway, any time you want :thumbsup:

Using the liquid has several advantages. You will not have to deal with "cutting pills" & you will also be taking more consistent doses & also see if the V will actually help you with sleep.

I followed  a person on here a few years ago who was on C for years & had insomnia issues. This person substituted just enough V to help with sleep & then began taper with the C first then tackled the V last. So really it boils down to whatever works best for you. You can only try.....

With this first part of this plan a (25 days)you will not be cutting or up dosing, just substituting with a reasonable amount of V. You can show this to your doctor, then hold as long as necessary at what ever level works. When you are ready, proceed with your taper according to how you are feeling.

Everything you said here and did for me is just amazing. I'm truly tearing up as I read this.  For once... this all makes perfect sense and you even broke it down into my language. I think you are right about starting small and tweeking to what works for me. In all honesty I couldn't feel much worse then I feel today and I'm at the point of isolating, not eating and no wanting to be around anyone.  Sleep deprivation and me don't like each other. So I'm not sure if the cross-over will work but at this point I'm willing to try anything to get some relief and I'm going to try small to see what works or if it works.  If not then I don't know what I'm going to do because I cannot stay like I am right now. I am concerned with what my pdoc is going to say when he sees me tomorrow because there is no hiding my tiredness and look of fatigue. He isn't on board with me tapering because he likes to push meds. Long story... I am hoping all goes well tomorrow. I truly appreciate your help so very much. Thank you [...].  :smitten: :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

Previously you said you didnt want to undo all the hard work you had done to reduce klonopin. Adding 5 mg valium is essentially the same thing as going back to 0.5 mg klonopin. If that is what you want to do, that's your decision, but you should do it with all of the information. Valium is easier to taper because it is less potent, but it is still a benzo that needs to be tapered with all of the associated challenges. I dont think of it as reducing the klonopin in half, since you are replacing it with an alternative at the same time.

Yah... I can see now how 5 mg's of "V" is possibly too much. I didn't really understand that when I posted my message. This is all new to me and I've never taken Diazepam. I'm going to start small on the Valium as y'all suggest and see if I can get relief.  Thanks for all your help and for taking your time to reply. Blessings.  :smitten:

[Buddie]

Just to clarify? Is it 20 mg's of Valium, 0.20 mgs or 2 mgs. I'm confused and I don't know how much Valium to start with?

[Buddie]

Just to clarify? Is it 20 mg's of Valium, 0.20 mgs or 2 mgs. I'm confused and I don't know how much Valium to start with?

It is .20mg to start increasing by .20mg increments. Start with .20mgs increasing as necessary.

I revised the chart again:

[Buddie]

The Dr. wouldn't give me the Valium to do the Ashton Manual taper. He gave me Gabapentin I took one last night and mind felt "fried". I was up all night crying. I dontt know what is wrong with me.  :'(