Am I withdrawing?

[su...]

Under my Dr's orders I have been taking .5 mg ativan 2X a day for almost three years. About 2 months ago I started having an array of symptoms headaches, body shakes, Sleep issues, loss of appetite, nausea and dry heaving, feeling like I'm going insane. I've had many tests performed and all are normal. I asked my Dr on my last visit if I could be going through interdose withdrawal. She said absolutely not and that it's become ineffective so begin weaning off.I'm terrified I feel so bad I was sure I had a brain tumor. The MRI proved I didn't.I guess I need to know can withdrawal symptoms occur after three years even though I haven't ever changed my dose?

Hello sunrise 365 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community, you will get plenty of support here. It sounds like you have hit tolerance level, as I did.  Tolerance  develops with regular use, the original dose of the drug has progressively less effect and a higher dose is required to obtain the original effect.

Benzodiazepines should be tapered slowly. The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Yes, that could very likely be tolerance withdrawal (when you are taking the same dose but still getting withdrawal symptoms).  This is very common.  There are people who were on them 10 years plus and suddenly had the same thing happen.

Thank you. My Dr is very adamant that this isn't the case. I know my body and I knew that's what was happening. I took her the Ashton manual crossover taper schedule with valium. She barely looked at it and said there was something else wrong with me. So after all the tests were done and nothing is wrong with me she stumped lol. I want to scream you got me into this so give me some valium so I can at least function. I'm a little concerned about adding valium but everything I've read said it's the best option. Thank you so much for your response.