• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mo...]

• [az...]

• [Da...]

• [se...]

How about P.J. Harvey?

As much as I am tempted to say that PJ Harvey is or was “too extreme” possibly for me, and that I’m not attracted to “darker things,” I know that she is flipping everything inside out about the world’s perspective on women in this video. It really is artful, the contrast and the pain of being human and being female... and all the stereotypes we are tied to and how impossible everything is for us, really.

It really is a good choice.

I come from a family of artists and I love and appreciate art, I don’t think this will ever change. People can be so quick to judge and often misunderstand art and artists, but I’m always going to love them I think. I’m always going to understand the suffering that goes in. It’s really special, artists of all kinds are really special and the arts are such an important part of being human. Feeling and examining emotions is important and powerful. It’s key to healing from systems that are broken and trying to break us.

I don’t know, it’s just given me a lot to think on. And as cheap as so many of the YouTube comments seem underneath “Black,” it’s still a gorgeous and powerful song and people respond to it. Who am I to judge their reactions?

These kinds of things are interesting for me to consider. I think I’ll always be in touch with that pain that causes me to be able to appreciate artwork and this is probably a good thing. Sort of wordy, but it’s an exploration of different forms of art I guess for me and the psyche and the role of emotional expression in life. And individuality. It’s helpful to examine the divided parts of ourselves, I feel. I don’t think “positivity” covers everything all the time, and so thanks for your contribution here yesterday. :)

It’s fascinating and expanding to share about music/art. A place where things don’t have to be solved... or in a category. Or look “nice.”

The Shelters - Rebel Heart

Tom Petty proteges.

Fun, lighthearted tune w/throwback sound!  Beatles/Byrds/Monkees...power-pop r./jangle-pop.  This particular song off their S/T debut is also a little reminiscent of The Rembrandts "Friends" theme song.  (& The Rembrants are VG+ beyond that tune.)  If ya like this, the whole release is all Winners!  Pick it up/help support newer, indie r. bands!  ;):thumbsup:

The Strokes - Hawaii

Cool - I never heard this & I'm big into The Strokes  :)  :D  ;D     

Thanks Cuz :) It's buried on one of their EPs. I hadn't heard it until long after it was released either. Lots of stuff around the internet from Julian Casablancas that is difficult to find any other place.

I like Wolf Parade and Spoon, so I will check out the Divine Fits. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm sure you've also heard of the Handsome Furs? Another spin off of Wolf Parade. They have some great music too:

Handsome Furs - Dead + Rural

Both have new releases scheduled in 2020.  I've already pre-ordered Wolf Parade "Thin Mind" 1/24/20.  I don't know exact date of Spoon.  The Strokes also have a new release scheduled for 2020...looking good!!  (At least, musically!  ;):thumbsup:

Thank you Cuz, I am torn still because I can’t seem to feel any longer that most secular music is fitting for me anymore... and it’s really not personal but I’m just feeling this all the way through feeling. Including PJ Harvey of course, just all of this world. Not that I feel holier than or better in some way, I just think I can’t fool myself anymore.

I will have this be my last song here, and let all these years of mixed up feelings go and so end with the song that feels like my theme. It’s less for attention than it is as a personal statement I need to see myself act on, because I heard “No” in my spirit before I posted the moon song.

🌿 Ain’t No Grave 🌿

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you Cuz, I am torn still because I can’t seem to feel any longer that most secular music is fitting for me anymore... and it’s really not personal but I’m just feeling this all the way through feeling. Including PJ Harvey of course, just all of this world. Not that I feel holier than or better in some way, I just think I can’t fool myself anymore.

I will have this be my last song here, and let all these years of mixed up feelings go and so end with the song that feels like my theme. It’s less for attention than it is as a personal statement I need to see myself act on, because I heard “No” in my spirit before I posted the moon song.

🌿 Ain’t No Grave 🌿

Anna Calvi - Hunter

8) 8) 8) 8)

Wickipedia: Anna Margaret Michelle Calvi (born 24 September 1980) is an English singer-songwriter and guitarist. Her accolades include three Mercury Prize nominations, one Brit Award nomination, and a European Border Breakers Award. She has been noted by some critics as a virtuoso guitarist,[3] as well as for her powerful, wide-ranging operatic contralto voice.

She's remarkable!

For a more stripped-back sound, this year (2020) she released a reimagining of Hunter, Hunted (March 2, 2020) w/guest vocalists incl. Courtney Barnett, Julia Holter & Charlotte Gainsbourg, review below:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/anna-calvi-hunted/

Meg Myers - Sorry

8) 8) 8) 8)

I liken as a mash-up of Kate Bush, Lorenna McKennitt, Chibi of The Birthday Massacre, Amy Lee of Evanescence, but her own sound!  Angelic/Demonic.  Soaring, dramatic.  She has a single of her cover of Kate Bush's *"Running Up That Hill".  Urge checking out her own material, 1st uploads; she's outstanding! 

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKNalVx3F5I - live performance Jimmy Kimmel - link doesn't seem to be working.

- music video, but warning: contains flashing images.

• 1 month later...

If anyone here ever wants some happy-go-lucky music (take oneself out of own head):

Teddy Thompson - In My Arms

R-2324962-1448393271-4968.jpeg.jpg

:)

:) :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The Radio Dept.

"I Don't Like It Like This"

Words fail me all the time

I don’t even feel like talking

still I go on and on

I’m dying here and you keep walking