Just looking for advice

[Me...]

I've been on kl for almost 6 years now. I started at .5mg for panic attacks and am at 2.5mg per day to feel normal and really want to quit. I've been thinking of going in patient and suffering out a rapid detox because I don't feel I have much of a choice. I have a full time job so it's hard to just wean with the side affects. Any advice or has anyone been able to do this while working over 40 hours per week? I don't have the option of quitting and staying home, too many responsibilities.

Welcome to the forum! We're glad  to have you as a new member.  I'm someone who went through one with disastrous results, as have many others here, so please be aware inpatient detox was designed for alcohol and street drugs, NOT for benzo withdrawal. Long term benzo use changes one's brain chemistry and recovery/return to normal can take much longer than that from alcohol, and can continue long after the patient has no benzos in their system.  Almost all inpatient detoxes in the U.S. involve cold turkeying or very rapid detoxing, which can produce severe and very long lasting symptoms.  Tapering is a better option in almost all cases.

You'll find lots of information and support here.  Our members have been through all aspects of withdrawal, and you're likely to find  people who understand what you're going through.

For those who are starting a new taper, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days at first, and then adjusting the taper rate to suit your own needs.  One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper faster.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal, especially near the end of a taper and for a few months after discontinuing the medication.  First/only withdrawals after a slow taper tend to be easier than multiple reinstatements/withdrawals over time, which may make symptoms worse and longer lasting. The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, but there are many others. These are temporary and will go away in time.

Here are a few links you may find useful:

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal Please read the warning at the top of this board about "detox" and some of the posts on the board before considering this option.

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field. Section III explains and describes symptoms, and there is also a section with suggested taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

I have a job that requires me to drive alot. These are the 2 hardest things driving and working. I know it is difficult doing this while working. I have used up some of my vacation time. Here are some things that worked for me. I used CBD, 5 HTP, GABA and L Theanine. I also avoided all junk foods. Now I only eat food for nutrition. I have been off Xanax for little over couple weeks. It is tough, be strong and welcome to the forum.

If you have tried to taper and you know you have a lot of symptoms, I would not do inpatient.  While detox can be great for people who abuse high quantities, for those of us who have nervous system changes from taking them daily, a quick taper can leave us suffering long term.  Many of the people who have major issues over a year off of benzos either had to taper rapidly or went to detox.  I tapered off in 2 months from just 1mg klonopin, and it sent my system into shock.  I actually lost the ability to control my muscles and spent months in physical therapy.  Almost 18 months off, I still have major issues.  One doctor told me that a patient who has been taking them daily should always do a slow taper.  He couldn't believe the doctor cut my 1mg dose in half, and said this is likely what shocked my system.

Detox places do NOT prevent symptoms, their only concern is to get you off and make sure you don't seize.  While there have been a handful of cases of people who went do detox and were ok in a week or two, most people who go to detox spend several months completley non-functional and bedridden once they get out.  Many have even had grand mal seizures after leaving detox.

I've been on kl for almost 6 years now. I started at .5mg for panic attacks and am at 2.5mg per day to feel normal and really want to quit. I've been thinking of going in patient and suffering out a rapid detox because I don't feel I have much of a choice. I have a full time job so it's hard to just wean with the side affects. Any advice or has anyone been able to do this while working over 40 hours per week? I don't have the option of quitting and staying home, too many responsibilities.

Hey MD,

I've been successfully working full-time throughout my taper, withdrawal and recovery. I also kickbox and take other fitness classes 4 times a week. There have definitely been less ups than downs, but most aspects of my life have remained the same during my journey.

I do not recommend inpatient treatment for this. It's a different taper/withdrawal/recovery than alcohol or other drugs. I CTed off opiates in county jail in '04; it was a walk in the park compared to this. Seriously.  :o

I was on k for 9 years, up to 2.25mg/day at my highest dose, down to 1.5mg/day when I officially started tapering. My doctor realized she missed my having a medical marijuana card in my file, freaked out and stopped prescribing my k. I had 3 months worth to work with. I STILL have almost a half bottle of my last refill. I'm so proud of myself for taking matters in to my own hands.

What was best for me was a long, slow taper. I reduced .25mg every 2-3 months as I felt okay to step down further. My last step down was from .25mg/day to .125/mg/day, then I jumped. My taper wasn't that bad compared to others' stories I've read.

The first 3 months off were pretty hellish for me, but things have been letting up gradually since then. I'm still experiencing multiple symptoms, but it's manageable. I'm sure I've got a lot more gray hairs coming in, and sometimes burst into tears when too stressed, but I'm pretty much living my typical life, one day at a time.

I still hate driving, as it's my main anxiety trigger, but I make the best of it. I use my CBD vape pen; it takes the edge off.