Hello

[Be...]

Hi. In January of 2014 I was prescribed Xanax and then Clonazepam by my primary care physician for anxiety related to a difficult job situation I was going through. I stayed on them for more than just 2-4 weeks. I started seeing a psychiatrist for my medication needs in the fall of 2014 and at that time we started a slow-ish taper. This led to a hypomanic episode (I have been diagnosed with GAD and depression, and am not bi-polar). So, we decided to stop the taper and continue a dose of 1mg clonazepam 2x/day.

Since then I changed psychiatrists and we started a slow taper of clonazepam in January 2017 (my dad suddenly dying in 2016 made me delay another taper). Things were going pretty good with the taper, except the depression that started shortly after, but the hypomanic symptoms were not there. I was down to .25/mg 2x/day in December, but then, as I was walking into work on a Sunday morning, someone jumped out of a car and stole my purse. So, I increased my dose of Clonazepam because of the extreme anxiety I experienced. 

From Dec-March I increased my dose again, sometimes as much as 2mg/day. I wasn't consistent with the dose. At my psychiatrist appointment in March 2018 I wanted to start tapering again and thought I could do .25mg 2x/day again. I WAS WRONG. The dose was waaaaay too low.

I started having terrible withdrawl symptoms: Abdominal pain, sore eyes, tightness in chest, decreased libido, anxiety, depression, insomnia, restlessness, loss of memory, derealisation, irratability, and low motivation/apathy. Now, I convinced my psychiatrist to use the Ashton Manual's taper method. We are following Schedule 5: Withdrawal from clonazepam 1.5mg daily with substitution of diazepam. I've been taking morning, afternoon, and evening doses (instead of taking either all of my dose in the morning sometimes or twice per day).

This dosage is working very well for me. I am no longer having the terrible withdrawal symptoms. I am upset that I had to start again at a higher dose, but I guess that is what happens when you increase your dose after a taper.

You might be wondering why I wanted to do the diazepam substitution when I was just tapering off the clonazepam in 2017. Well, even though I was down to .25mg/2x daily, it wasn't a perfect taper. When I would start to feel the bad withdrawal symptoms start I would take an extra pill now and then. I know the best plan for me is to continue going down very slowly, but I wanted to be able to get to a dosage lower than .25mg of clonazepam and diazepam will let me do this. Plus, the half-life is longer too.

Tomorrow I start stage 2 of the taper - morning .5 clonazepam, afternoon .5 clonazepam, and evening 10mg diazepam.

Whoops, I just read that I just needed a few lines in this intro to ensure that I am not a spammer. Oh well.

Hello BANWTS :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community, you will get plenty of support here.  I am so pleased you have started your substitution taper, its great you have your psychiatrists support.  You are making a great decision!  I am so sorry for the loss of your father suddenly, it must have been a very traumatic time for you. The symptoms you describe are common in withdrawal, they are temporary, it does get better

The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable. I am pleased you are familiar with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  As well as tapering and withdrawal information it includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

Substitution Taper Plans   

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita