When did you realise enough was enough?

[On...]

I'm sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place, but dealing with anxiety is how many of us got on benzos in the first place I assume.

When did you realise enough was enough, and you had to get off them? Asking because I'm struggling to "get ready" to taper.

[9e...]
For me, I think I knew something was seriously wrong when I almost got into a fist fight with some guy who had cut me off when I was riding my bicycle.  Unthinking (or rude) motorists cut bikers off all the time.  We just live with it and move on.  But I handled that one so poorly (for me).  I knew something was wrong and needed to be dealt with.

I just had this realization that I was not myself anymore, I became an entirely different person. I forgot my self worth, associated with bad people, drank and did drugs, stopped participating in the activities I was passionate about, etc. I used Klonopin as this mask to get rid of my anxiety, and it did but it did more damage than help. It’s a tough process, but it’s for the best and things will get better. Stay strong and take your time! You realizing that you need to taper is a big step alone, good luck with your journey!

For me, I wasn't getting any relief from anxiety. If anything I felt like I was constantly battling anxiety. It took tolerance hitting me straight on to realize my body was trying to give me signals that the medicine wasn't working anymore. Full blown tolerance was awful insomnia, major blood pressure problems, no appetite and nausea. I have lost 27 lbs. since the beginning of the year so far. These meds should've never been prescribed for long term use. Since tapering I have somewhat stabilized. Most days are decent with some small waves. I will be down to 1/2 of a .25mg xanax on Saturday. I wish you the best of luck on your taper!

I realized that the benzos and other meds did not help really. I suffered more from the side effects and the worst was loosing my fast brain, creativity and intelligence. I would rather live in anxiety 24 hours per day than being that robot again.

Next thing I noticed was that I felt addicted and any time I wanted to stop the meds, hell break out.

Also I had paradoxical reactions - not funny.

And the last point: I noticed a lot of male doctors gave benzos to women who were smarter and not easy to handle.  :laugh:

For me, I wasn't getting any relief from anxiety. If anything I felt like I was constantly battling anxiety. It took tolerance hitting me straight on to realize my body was trying to give me signals that the medicine wasn't working anymore. Full blown tolerance was awful insomnia, major blood pressure problems, no appetite and nausea. I have lost 27 lbs. since the beginning of the year so far. These meds should've never been prescribed for long term use. Since tapering I have somewhat stabilized. Most days are decent with some small waves. I will be down to 1/2 of a .25mg xanax on Saturday. I wish you the best of luck on your taper!

The push I needed, kind stranger! Thanks for sharing. This is me now. From Monday, my Diazepam taper starts. Hope I'll be as brave and determined as you! All the best wishes

I had enough, when I had severe anxiety, and night sweats. I definitely decided when I started stabbing, and was a madman in traffic. I was a 61 year old lady, who didn`t agree to lie behind another car! (otherwise I'm very careful).

Started also getting tingling, and shaking, in the neck and arms. Also became a completely different person, became angry with just everything. It was as my filter disappeared, which terrified me. Who had I been?

Benzo can work in an acute situation, but for my part, I got a lot of neurological, physical and mental problems. As a brain gymnastics, I read a whole new language, previously I considered myself as a hopeless case.

You are doing the right thing to stop Benzo, your best decision ever! :)

Only took it to manage pain and sleep anxiety post surgery. Took restoril and ativan but I quickly grew tolerant so it's not helping what it was meant to help.