My Introduction

[Fo...]

Hi there, I'm reaching out to Benzobuddies as there's not a lot of help and advice in my neck of the woods.  I've not been given a withdrawal programme.....it's just been left up to me.  I've unfortunately been prescribed benzos for the last 30 years for insomnia, anxiety and stress.  So I've decided to take it really slowly and come down in milligrams from up to 25mg.  I've done this by weighing a 5mg tablet and cutting it up and reducing 1mg of the weight of the tablet.  So far I've taken nearly 2 years.  I'm now down to 1/2mg of diazepam each night.  I think now my body is screaming out for it.  What concerns me most now is that every now and again my mind goes blank.....the other day I suddenly couldn't think how to remove my petrol cap on the car!!  Yes...it came back to me but alarmed me.  Is this one of the withdrawal symptoms?  I hope so!

Hello Forestgirl :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community, you will get plenty of support here.  That happened to me too, its quite common in withdrawal to forget things. I forgot how to cook and couldn’t do the simplest of tasks. These things will come back, it does get better, in the meantime do take extra care.

You are doing okay with your taper, the rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s perfectly okay to go at your own pace, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thankyou Magrita for your reply and for allowing me to join Benzobuddies.  I was so relieved to hear that you forgot how to do things as well.....it really worried me that my mind went blank and on other occasions felt confused.  That's the first time in two years that I've had a question answered....and it's such a relief.

Thanks so much for the support and I look forward to taking part on your site.

Hi there, I'm reaching out to Benzobuddies as there's not a lot of help and advice in my neck of the woods.  I've not been given a withdrawal programme.....it's just been left up to me.  I've unfortunately been prescribed benzos for the last 30 years for insomnia, anxiety and stress.  So I've decided to take it really slowly and come down in milligrams from up to 25mg.  I've done this by weighing a 5mg tablet and cutting it up and reducing 1mg of the weight of the tablet.  So far I've taken nearly 2 years.  I'm now down to 1/2mg of diazepam each night.  I think now my body is screaming out for it.  What concerns me most now is that every now and again my mind goes blank.....the other day I suddenly couldn't think how to remove my petrol cap on the car!!  Yes...it came back to me but alarmed me.  Is this one of the withdrawal symptoms?  I hope so!

Welcome Forestgirl! As Magrita said memory problems are a common symptom. I too experienced the same memory lapse on how to remove my petrol cap on my car. It was so frustrating. At one point I had to ask another customer if they would help me...at the time I was around 57. He looked quite puzzled and in disbelief.lol I still have some memory issues, but my memory has definitely improved. It is well worth the effort to get off these drugs. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Forestgirl....I received your message. Thank you for thinking about me. This journey of recovery is very lonely in a world that's in general far removed from the realities that hit people who are either in the process of tapering off of these drugs or who have managed to get off of them and remain off.

How are you doing? I hope you have made further progress in this strange process. I'm making slow progress. Never imagined myself in this fight in my life. So weird. Just glad it's getting further behind me with each passing day. :) There is life again on the other side.