Xanax

[07...]

Started xanax full time just over 3 yrs ago. First dose was .5mg/ day which slowly became 4mg/day just before bed, always taken as prescribed. 5 weeks ago I became I'll with the flu and my world was flipped upside down, extreme anxiety/depression, shaking, insomnia, uncontrollable body temp. Xanax no longer did anything, increased to 6mg, nothing.... Two trips to ER just to be sent home. Immediately started tapering down, it was really the only move I had left, currently down to .75mg. Now am seeing pdoc and prescribed 225 effexor and 15mg remeron at night. I still am unable to work and cant do the things I want to, feels like my life is out of control now, no light at the end of the tunnel. Any thoughts would be appreciated. What happened to me???

Welcome to the board, you found the right place. What happened is just plain tolerance followed by withdrawal. The light at the end of the tunnel is there, we just cant open our eyes yet to see it. I am also starting Remeron but with now with Buspar. I believe you made the right choice going to a pdoc and following their advice. You should read the Ashton manual, and then re-read it every couple of weeks; it's the best guide and advice there is. Also use the search function on the board, you will find whatever you go through is normal and more importantly, temporary.

Hello 07569,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies, we're so glad you found the forum and joined.  What happened to you?  It appears as if through the years you constantly reached tolerance to the dose you started with requiring increasing the dose periodically. That is one of the dangers of these types of drugs.  It's hard to say what happened when you got the flu. Certainly, any illness can have a significant effect on the the central nervous system. 

I will tell you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but right now it's clouded by benzo withdrawal.  Your taper to .75mg was extremely fast from a high dose of xanax. For someone who has taken benzos long term, as you have, a slow taper is recommended to minimize withdrawal symptoms. I do understand your dilemma however, since the effects of xanax were no longer effective.

If it were me I'd hold at the present dose for a while to let my system adjust to the significant changes in doses that transpired over the past 5 weeks.  Once you've stabilized then the last bit of xanax can be tapered slowly.

Many of us had our lives and livelihoods interrupted by benzos or their withdrawal. The good thing is that this situation is temporary and will ease up, with time.  Benzo withdrawal takes a lot of patience while the nervous system recovers .

Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

You'll find many people who can relate to what you are experiencing.  As a peer support forum, we encourage each other through what can be a challenging process. But, it will get better, much better.  Please continue to ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans 

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I know my taper is going faster then recommended. I am actually frustrating my doc with how long I am taking though, why doesn't a psychiatrist understand the danger? I also have the feeling that I just wanna be done with it so the recovery can begin, I have 3 children that need me normal. I was warned about the addictiveness of benzos, I only wish it was explained as dependence. No ADs touch my condition even before benzos, xanax was truly my wonderdrug. I will continue to search for the true answer. Thank you.

Welcome

from another xanax user -- although much longer term that you.  :brickwall:

One of the paradoxes of this whole process is that getting off quickly doesn't mean that you will heal faster -- unfortunately it sometimes means the opposite.

So while I sure understand and had the same idea -- Get me off this stuff!! -- one year and a bit into the taper I realize that slowly is the way to stay functional for you kids and yourself.

I sped though the beginning of my taper (you can see that in my signature)  and felt like hell..... slowed down and now at a slow and steady pace can take care of most of my responsibilities.

Yup I loved Xanax too -- until it turned on me....

There's lots of info on this forum!

:) SS