Sorry if this is TMI. But why have my periods stopped suddenly?

[He...]

It's the most bizarre thing. I haven't had a menstrual cycle for the last three months in a row and I've been in withdrawal for 9 months. I'm wondering if this is normal and if this is just one of the many areas of my body's biological clock that has been ravaged by withdrawal. It's frustrating not knowing if I should worry about this or not, I'm only 28 so there's no reason that my cycles should have stopped all of a sudden..

Its completely normal in withdrawal and is one of the side effects. Its just a sign that your body and menstrual cycle is trying to rebalance back to where it should be..ie what is normal to you prior benzos. I went to my G.P when it happened to me and they found absolutely nothing wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it at the moment..just eat well and try not to worry.

shania

Its completely normal in withdrawal and is one of the side effects. Its just a sign that your body and menstrual cycle is trying to rebalance back to where it should be..ie what is normal to you prior benzos. I went to my G.P when it happened to me and they found absolutely nothing wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it at the moment..just eat well and try not to worry.

shania

How many months did you go without having a cycle?

Hi Hellbutrin,

Totally normal.  I have had the same thing since c/t off Klonopin.  Even after I reinstated to do a taper, I have yet to have a cycle.  Now it’s spotting daily and my body feels like I’m in an “about to start” state daily.  I know many others who have not had their cycle for months.  It’s been 3 for me.

My periods have been so messed up. They were fantastic before xanax and Lexapro. Then during tolerance completely messed up. Sometimes I didn't get them, other times last 2 weeks. The same goes with withdrawal and recovery. This month seems to be the first normal month since 2001.

Add me to the group! I went into "crisis" in January (when all hell broke loose after temporarily stopping Ativan after a few weeks use) and also was prescribed Lexapro in January (hadn't put two and two together that it could be the Ativan use). That was the last time I had a cycle.  Go figure.

FakeItTillYoumakeit:

Sounds like it's all damage from the drugs.

I was wondering if you could say what you were tested for?

Did they check estrogen? Proestrogen? Fsh levels?

I am getting blood work in 2 weeks and would like to know what to ask foe exactly.

Thanks

I am not even sure. She just said she was checking my hormones. And they said "all your hormone levels are okay"  They were supposed to fax me the results so when they do I will tell you what's listed.

[00...]

So grateful to have found this thread. My cycles have been all over the place, with terrible PMDD features: severe anxiety & panic attacks, suicidal depression, rashes & peeling skin, shooting pain in one buttock, bad pelvic pain, bloating. Have just missed the second cycle within a 4-month stretch.

Thank you to everyone on this thread who has been reassuring. I've been so worried.

I hope others with skipped periods will add their anecdotes...

Got the fax. She tested:

Vitamin D

Hydroxy progesterone

FSH AND LH

ESTRADIOL

TSH

B12

My vitamin D is low. I need to get it up but it's hard because it effects my sleep when I take it but I know once my levels get up it should help with my sleep.

Fakeittillyoumakeit

Thank you for that information. Yeah. My vit D level was at a 15 and I have been told it's bec of the area I live in. No sun in the winter months, but I think the level plummeted bc of the drugs as I never had that issues before pills and I have lived in no sun Illinois winters all my life.

Bumping to keep towards the top. I still find it weird I haven't had a period in four months and I am neither pregnant not in menopause. How is that even possible if my hormones levels are "fine"?

After Googling more, I am going to call the culprit stress. I really don't want to go to yet another doctor to get ten tests done to find out everything is fine.

FakeIt,

I’m betting it’s trauma to the CNS.  Mine haven’t returned yet, since c/t 3 months ago.  This also happened to me once before last year, when my daddy passed away.  Didn’t have a period for two months. 

since the pituitary is severely impacted by withdrawal - there is almost always an impact on hormones.  are you having any hair loss because my guess is - aside from the severe stress - that your prolactin levels may have gone high-  that suppresses periods.  benzos suppress prolactin - once you go off - as the pituitary tries to heal - it can swing high for a period of time.  if you are also having sore breasts - its likely high prolactin . 

[00...]

SSR1975, this makes so much sense! It has really eased my mind. I'm pretty sure this is what's been going on with me.

Thank you for your post!

[67...]
Same happening here. It's withdrawal indeed. I never had such problem during my whole life.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody start yet?  Nothing yet for me.

Last period was January 26th.

Nothing yet for me either, I haven't had a normal period since December. I'm just hoping that they do eventually get back to normal. Does anyone know if there is a specific physiological reason that this happens to our bodies during withdrawal?

I had mine start April 17th and lasted 8 days.

I have felt pms the last 3 days. I think it's headed my way. The most normal cycle I have had in years. I am 1 months shy of the 3 year mark ct off benzos. Maybe things are healing. I feel awful tho right now. Feel like I am going to pass out. My bp is normal at 132/87and 81 heart rate with 99 oxygen level. My respiratory system and muscles feel sluggish tho. Really scary. I think it's all related.

Hope you don't mind a man entering here to give his opinion about this issue :-P

There is a large amount of GABA receptors in the hypothalamus and the pituitary gland. GABA helps to keep a balance between the hormones of the body. Thus, it mediates the hypothalamus' role in controlling the processes for sleeping, sexuality, hunger, and others.

Given that benzo withdrawal wrecks havoc with GABA receptors, it is just normal that it would also deregulate the hormonal production and balance.

Probably, you have a hormonal imbalance that keeps sending false signals to your brain, for example, that you're pregnant, and thus ordering the brain not to go on with the normal process of menstruation. 

Once the GABA receptors are healed, and they surely will, the internal system that controls that process will be back to normal.

Its the same case with those men who experience erectile dysfunction while on withdrawal.

So, don't worry about it. It will be normal sooner or later.

On the positive side, these symptoms are scary but at least they aren't painful :-P

I finally started today!!

Never thought I would be happy about starting my period but I am taking it as a sign of further healing.

Wooooot!!