Book Ideas During Taper?

[Se...]

Anyone? I need new books to read while my family fixates on the television.

Since my benzo journey began, I've read "Tao Te Ching" multiple times, and I'm just about finished with the "wisdom" books in the bible.

I like books with age old wisdom, but I would be open to just about anything.

Somewhere here I saw a post (that I cannot find anymore) where someone mentioned a book about the mechanics of anxiety.  Something like that might be interesting.

Or even something that takes my mind off of this situation instead.

Thanks for your ideas.

Since my benzo journey began, I've read "Tao Te Ching" multiple times, and I'm just about finished with the "wisdom" books in the bible.

Somewhere here I saw a post (that I cannot find anymore) where someone mentioned a book about the mechanics of anxiety.  Something like that might be interesting.

Thanks for your ideas.

[/quote

"Wherever You Go, There You Are , Spiritual

Game of Thrones, totally take your mind into another world

Great Idea. Thanks!

I received both "Wherever You Go, There You Are", and "Full Catastrophe Living" today. Look like good reads.

Great Idea. Thanks!

I received both "Wherever You Go, There You Are", and "Full Catastrophe Living" today. Look like good reads.

Wherever You Go, There You Are is really good, I have Full Catastrophe Living, but it and I discovered bb at same time.  So I stalk bb off and on all day, but I like to read something that takes my mind off all this crap at night right before I go to sleep :)

[03...]

SeekingHope,

The best book I've read in recovery, so far, is Love, Medicine and Miracles by Bernie Siegel. It inspired me so much.

Best wishes,

Lara

A Return to Love, based on a Course in Miracles.  I have read that book by Marianne Williamson at least 5 times.  Especially for people struggling with low self-esteem which is a new topic on the board recently. 

I like the ideas so far. I think books that like those mentioned are very helpful.

I also think there is value in books which take the mind off of this situation are good too. I'm just drawing a blank as far as that goes.

I like the ideas so far. I think books that like those mentioned are very helpful.

I also think there is value in books which take the mind off of this situation are good too. I'm just drawing a blank as far as that goes.

Ok here goes

The three books in the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo

You gotta try Game of Thrones  :tickedoff:

All kinds of books about Henry the Eighth and his wives.  It fascinated me , he chased Ann Boylyn 6 years and cut her head off in 3 after he married her :idiot:

What type of fiction do u like, I've read my whole life....

The Outlander series

I recently read that reading fiction can help to encourage neurogenesis/neuroplasticity.

Im honestly not sure how to respond to what fiction I like. I usually have no time for reading so... hmm. Now I have plenty of time and am drawing a blank. Most of the time when I do read I like ancient life-wisdom (tao te ching, etc.).

I've read all of the Hobbit/LOTR books and love them. I'm drawing a blank. Maybe I should just visit a bookstore.

What can of books do u like?  I'm a reader, I could recommend almost any subject if I just know what u like :)

Thanks for your ideas.

When Things Fall Apart

Pema Chödron

I recently read that reading fiction can help to encourage neurogenesis/neuroplasticity.

Im honestly not sure how to respond to what fiction I like. I usually have no time for reading so... hmm. Now I have plenty of time and am drawing a blank. Most of the time when I do read I like ancient life-wisdom (tao te ching, etc.).

I've read all of the Hobbit/LOTR books and love them. I'm drawing a blank. Maybe I should just visit a bookstore.

That's a great idea and gets u out and about.....

I’m enjoying listening to  Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘When We Were Orphans’ atm

Before that I listened to ‘Reamde’ by Neal Stephenson.

When I can bear to touch paper and get in a position comfortable enough I am reading ‘Phone’ by Will Self which is the last one in a trilogy written in a high modernist style. The first one ‘Umbrella’ blew me away. He is such a clever bugger.

I can recommend just about anything by JoJo Moyes -- her books are almost always highly readable and easy to get lost in -- plus two books by Graeme Simsion: "The Rosie Effect" and the follow-up to it, "The Rosie Project". Also, I loved Trevor Noah's book, "Born A Crime". Excellent!

I’m enjoying listening to  Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘When We Were Orphans’ atm

Before that I listened to ‘Reamde’ by Neal Stephenson.

When I can bear to touch paper and get in a position comfortable enough I am reading ‘Phone’ by Will Self which is the last one in a trilogy written in a high modernist style. The first one ‘Umbrella’ blew me away. He is such a clever bugger.

Authors just fascinate me...how do they have the imaginations to build new worlds with different species and plots , it's all too much for my brain :laugh:

I've been reading The Dresden Files and I highly recommend the series! It's not a difficult read at all, so a marvelous distraction that doesn't strain my attention span or concentration as much. Jim Butcher's world is complex, his story captivating.

If you're into fantasy like Lord of the Rings, then I recommend Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. The series takes months to finish with each book over 500 pages.

Also if you haven't read Kurt Vonnegut's works, he's one of my favorite authors. Same dark, dry sense of humor worked into some fantastic story. Slaughterhouse Five is the one most people know because it's taught in schools, but Cat's Cradle is my personal favorite. He also put out short stories.

For something a little more out there, you might try The Waves by Virginia Woolf. She was experimenting with form and structure, and crafted gorgeous imagery with poetic rhythm.