Health Anxiety Support Offered

[An...]

I am a long term sufferer of health anxiety. I am just right about recovered and in the healing process but my biggest fear is my heart and the rate going up when I am frightened by something, not necessarily anxiety. I am concerned how this may affect my tapering process.

My health anxiety started after I began to experience panic attacks, which I no longer get thankfully. Once I realized many of the physical symptoms that were strange due to panic attacks and generalized anxiety, the health anxiety lessened. I can try my best and help with any questions and of you have that may suffer from health anxiety as well as panic attacks and hopefully this support group will take off and members can share tips and experiences.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have had health anxiety my entire life which led me to take Xanax and it’s withrawal but my main issues right now is mostly withrawal

I certainly have health anxiety.  I always think I will die in my sleep.  Some nights are better than others.  I think my heart will stop beating in my sleep and I will not wake up.  I obsess about it.  I don't share this easily, and I think this thread is a great idea.  I hope more people will come in and share their experiences regarding this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have health anxiety and it mostly involves my heart. I have a benign arrhythmia, heart skips beats and speeds up. I take a beta blocker for it. Dr.  says it won't hurt me but it terrifies me. I have always obsessed and worried about it. Actually this is the first time I'm posting this about myself. I haven't mentioned it in other posts.

Trish

Hi:

My health anxiety started when I was misdiagnosed as having Bipolar II and I was prescribed psych meds that made me sick as a dog. One of them was Ativan (had never been on benzos ever). I was so stupid and naive to trust the doc and big pharma. Eventually I had the courage to C/T the drugs; I had to reinstate the Ativan to do a slow taper. I am seven months off, and my worse symptom right now is 'benzo belly' related IBS. I hope it is related. I have been suffering with it for the last three months. It has gotten somewhat better with probiotics, Fodmap diet, peppermint oil, magnesium, and miralax. This ordeal has led me to see three GI doc, and Monday I am going to a new one for testing (I hope). I have developed this health anxiety that I have something seriously wrong with my GI system. I have started talk therapy recently which I hope I can learn come CBT. Yoga and meditation work great for me. I am managing to sleep and control the anxiety. If it weren't for the GI issue, I would say I am 80% healed (So I hope I don't come with something new because I am ready to pursue some goals that I put on hold for too long). I found a website called: Anxietybc.com

I truly recommend it. Keeping a diary also helps me and watching some videos, especially the ones from The Reach Approach. Just breath!

[ce...]

I haven't posted in a long time but I have terrible health anxiety. I have been diagnosed with smoldering multiple myeloma and so every symptom now freaks me out because I'm afraid it's the cancer. I actually did really well tapering off three drugs - Celexa, Wellbutrin, and Klonopin- but I kept, and still keep, having horrific panic attacks and so my occasional dose of Xanax became a bit more than occasional. I'm not sure what to do with myself. There is no cure for myeloma and I find myself swinging between hope and panic and despair.

This is hard to admit because I'm afraid I'll be judged poorly for giving in to the panic and taking the Xanax but the cancer sometimes terrifies me. And on top of that both my mother-in-law AND father-in-law just died within five months of each other and my cat has what appears to be asthma and lung cancer.

It's been a real struggle and I'm frustrated and sad because I was doing pretty well after getting off the klonopin but the past year has absolutely sucked.

I'm sorry I'm not being very supportive but to everyone out there, struggling and suffering, you're definitely not alone.

I don't believe anyone on this forum can judge you. We are not walking in your shoes, and we support no matter what decisions you make. I am sorry you are going through so much, and I understand exactly your feelings of hope, panic, and despair. I recently started counseling for my health anxiety, and I hope I can learn a thing or two to help me cope with it. Have you tried counseling, meditation, praying? Definitely you are not alone, just seek God and surrender all of your suffering to Him.

Best wishes!

[ce...]

I don't believe anyone on this forum can judge you. We are not walking in your shoes, and we support no matter what decisions you make. I am sorry you are going through so much, and I understand exactly your feelings of hope, panic, and despair. I recently started counseling for my health anxiety, and I hope I can learn a thing or two to help me cope with it. Have you tried counseling, meditation, praying? Definitely you are not alone, just seek God and surrender all of your suffering to Him.

Best wishes!

Solutions, thank you for responding. I have had a psychiatrist for years but he retired and we never discussed the health anxiety because it was relatively recent but I have found a myeloma support group which is helpful. Maybe, though, I need a counselor.

I do meditate and pray but not nearly enough, but I believe I will make an effort to do better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello On the Way HOme:

How are you feeling lately? I can understand how terrifying can be to have an condition such a multiple myeloma. Hope you have good docs and resources. I am going to counseling which is helping; but for my panic attacks I am relying solely on breathing techniques, guided meditation/relaxation, and yoga. For awhile I thought I was going to reinstate but I held up. I am glad I haven't done it. Also, have you tried essential oils? I diffuse lavender all day at home, and inhale wild orange when I have too much anxiety and it truly helps me.

Peace, healing, and love!

• 3 weeks later...