Clinical studies of seizures from low dose weaning

[An...]

Is there any evidence that seizures can happen from low dose use of Klonopin used long term? I am going to begin tapering and was wondering based on personal experience or evidence of seizures. I'm new here so hope it's ok to post this here. Thanks

Is there any evidence that seizures can happen from low dose use of Klonopin used long term? I am going to begin tapering and was wondering based on personal experience or evidence of seizures. I'm new here so hope it's ok to post this here. Thanks

Not as far as I know, unless you suffer from a seizure disorder. Though, some people do not have their seizure disorder diagnosed, and surely a small number will develop a seizure disorder during their withdrawal of benzodiazepines. For this reason, it is always best to be somewhat cautious and highly advisable to consult with a doctor when planning a withdrawal.

Thank you for your reply. No never had a seizure or a history of epilepsy. I read discontinuing may possibly cause seizures and it concerned me. This is all new to me. Yes, I always consult with my doctor but it is more reassuring talking to people that went through this process first hand. My doctor is advising to cut a quarter of my .5 mg to start and I thought that may be a bit much to start after doing some research. Better to be cautious!

Thank you for your reply. No never had a seizure or a history of epilepsy. I read discontinuing may possibly cause seizures and it concerned me. This is all new to me. Yes, I always consult with my doctor but it is more reassuring talking to people that went through this process first hand. My doctor is advising to cut a quarter of my .5 mg to start and I thought that may be a bit much to start after doing some research. Better to be cautious!

That's how I quit Klonopin - a quarter of 0.5mg tablet cut at a time. Unless you have direct experince to the contrary, you will probably be able to manage cuts of that size without experiencing too many problems.

Good luck to you.

I tried a quarter in the past and it was rough but I was also experiencing panic attacks and high anxiety at the time and had to end the weaning. I am in a much better mind frame now. I probably could do the quarter but I'm going to play it safe and go a little slower so the anxiety doesn't creep up again. I'm going to call my doctor and get the ok to do so and I'll also mention my seizure concern just to have a clear head. Nice talking to you! Hope you are doing well yourself.