Addiction after Only Two Weeks of Ativan Use (2mg daily)

[Ch...]

Hi there,

I'm a 29 year old male with a history of Anxiety.

So I was prescribed 30 1mg tablets a few weeks ago for an ongoing anxiety disorder. I went through them over a two week period (approx 2mg a day). They were prescribed to see me through until I saw a psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist gave me a plan of attack for my anxiety (which is quite severe) involving Prozac at a gradual increase dosage up to 40mg. So I stopped taking Ativan 3 days ago on his advice as he said because I was only on it for two weeks and didn't need to taper.

The last two nights have been rough to say the least, sleeping 2-3 hours per night and experiencing constant anxiety through each day and an elevated heart rate, lack of appetite and muscle tension. I rang the psychiatrist yesterday to discuss this with him.

He said he's never seen an addiction after such a short period of use. This obviously didn't help my anxiety but I was appreciative of him being frank. He has put me on a valium taper. This consists of 3 days at 15mg, 2-3 weeks of 10mg and then 3 or so weeks of 5mg then see how so feel.

From what I can gather this is a relatively short taper but I wasn't on Ativan for too long.

My problem is that now I'm on day 3 of 15mg of valium and I'm still not feeling right. I got a good sleep a few nights ago but last night was rough and I had some really messed up dreams that woke me up and left me in a semi conscious state until I came out of it and got a couple of hours of sleep. I have very little appetite and I woke up yesterday morning with tinnitus.

I keep thinking that it might also be Prozac causing some of these symptoms but I can't be sure. I'm doubtful because I got put on Prozac when I was 18 for a few months to no ill effects.

Basically I'm freaking out because I've been reading the horror stories of benzo withdrawal and I don't want to be on this stuff for life. It's so frustrating as I only uses it for two weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, Chineoh.

It is generally not necessary to taper after two weeks of using a benzodiazepine, so your psychiatrist was correct in that regard.  One doesn't want to stay on a benzodiazepine any longer than necessary in order to avoid deepening any dependency that is starting, so I'll give you some links to get started posting to the wider membership.

General Taper Plans 

Withdrawal Support 

We recommend looking at The Ashton Manual by Dr. C. Heather Ashton.  It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations on the reasons for their existence.

Please take the time to Create a Signature (pertinent drug and taper history). This will allow members to see where you are in the process so that they can better support you.

Take care,

Challis  :)

Welcome!

I feel your psychiatrist has done the best thing with the Valium taper too.In theory, two weeks is not considered an addiction l I wonder if perhaps you are super sensitive to these type of drugs and that is why it hasn't effected you so badly? Maybe the 'word' isn't addiction ? It's just how your system tolerates them and that would be the reason you are having such a rough time reducing in amount.

Goodness, imagine how it would be if you were on for longer. Stick with it ... withdrawing off these little pills is not easy . Keep going with your plan and know that what you talk about regarding the physical and emotional side effects you are experiencing are all part of the taper. You are probably not going to 'feel right' for some time .. just stick with it .. you'll be pleased you did..

Have a look under support groups ( I'm clueless in how to post a link!) and you'll see specific threads dealing with Ativan and Valium withdrawal .. all the best BB