gentle yoga pose that's helpful for sciatic pain.

[Ma...]

• 2 weeks later...

That will be because it creates traction.

You can do another version in a Downward Dog if you can get into it.

You put anchor a strap to a door or rail or something and put it around your hips to add traction.

If you look up traction exercises for sciatica you will find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't checked this thread in a while. I talked to a physical therapist. Actually, I got a free consultation. Basically, I just wanted more input on how to heal this. She said I was on the right track. Stretching is the first step she said. Strengthening the muscles is the only way to heal she said. Especially around the hip area. I told her I don't have money for PT but she said she can teach me everything I need to know in two sessions. I'm healing so I don't think I will need PT. I mean I am doing PT, just by myself.

I didn't start healing until I started doing the stretches though. I discovered that tossing and turning while I sleep may have caused my hip to tilt. I sleep on my back but toward the end of the sleep cycle I transition to the side in an awkward position which can cause a pelvic tilt. A pelvic tilt can cause the piriformis muscle to spasm and irritate the sciatic nerve I think. But I do have some mild degeneration in my back. Not sure what is the exact cause but I'm dealing with it the best I can. The sciatica started full force around 3/20/18 and I think it is 80-90% healed.

What has helped alot is soaking in warm water before stretching in the morning. I also have this hand held Wahl massager which takes the knots out of my legs by gently vibrating. It also has a heating mechanism. I'm pretty sure being on gabapentin and baclofen makes my muscles more likely to spasm. Especially if I'm tapering. Not sure how much of a factor it is but it is slowing my taper progress substantially. Hopefully, it won't be a problem for me soon.

I hope you can sort it.

Since withdrawal my muscles simply won’t release and stretch properly.

No amount of trying to strengthen, stretch or massage them seems to make a difference.

I had terrible sciatica for 3 years before having to have surgery because a piece of disc broke off and got in the spinal canal. It was so painful I was peeing myself in bed because Zi couldn’t move.

The same pain returned once I was off the diazepam and I ended up in A&E.

So I really sympathise.

I was very unlucky. Most sciatica can be managed with the measures you are taking.