Author Topic: Your experience with the Ashton Protocol  (Read 452 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Your experience with the Ashton Protocol
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 12:05:11 am »
I switched klonopin to Librium based my doctor's advice instead of valium. So there are options available in case you don't want proceed with valium. Well, this non an advice...
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 03:41:21 pm »
I found cutting small pieces on a predictable basis to be a successful way to taper (see the way I finally did it in my signature). As long as you are steadily decreasing your dose, you are doing it right. Try not to think too much about day to day changes, or focus on symptoms and that will help you get through it.
Take care,
[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 09:49:32 pm »
[...] - I am also very interested in hearing what your addiction psychiatrist has to say.

[...] - I also have only taken Klonopin, but one of the reasons I started the substitution taper that Dr. Ashton recommends is because I can taper down to a much lower dose equivalent.  In the US the lowest dosage of Klonopin (I take the generic Clonazepam) that is available via my insurance is 0.5 mg, which Ashton says is equivalent of 10 mg of Valium (Diazepam). I can get Valium in 2mg pills, which means I can split that in half and end up at an equivalent of 0.05mg of Klonpin, vs. 0.25 mg of Klonopin. From prior experience with tapers, I think this will be very important for me and is the main reason why I wanted to start the substitution taper.

I am very new to this community, and I know there are different methods I could try (water titration?) to be able to take lower dosages than .25 mg of klonopin, but I don't think I would be very successful at that. Cutting a pill in half is as much as I'm going to do. It's a shame that the manufacturers of these medications don't make them available in smaller doses, but that's why we need to work on raising awareness about the many negative issues with benzos.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 01:15:01 pm »
Ok. So I finally met with the new “Addiction Psychiatrist” on Sunday. Prior to our meeting he had me read “Brain in Balance” by Dr. Fred Von Stieff. It was written in 2011 and  Dr. Stieff has detoxed 40,000 patients in his career. Dr. Kieff and my Addiction Psychiatrist believe  that the Ashton Protocol is unnecessarily  slow and often leaves long protracted withdrawal symptoms that are largely avoided by this new approach.

I am currently taking 1.5 mg of Kolonopin, but have been taking this med for more than 20 years. My new doctor projects that I should be completely detoxed from Kolonopin within one month and have little to no withdrawal  after that.

I am not advocating one detox method over another. Many different methods work. But, I am going this “ new and improved” route. I plan to start in a week or two once I finish up with a few personal and professional items.

I will post the results of my experience in June or July  sometime when I am hopefully free of this horrid drug.

If you are interested in this new approach, I recommend you buy “Brain in Balsnce” on Amazon (the Kindle edition is $9.00) and find a doctor that knows it well. You must take multiple meds for four weeks to detox in one month. It completely avoids Valium or any other Benzo.

All the best!

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 03:00:00 pm »
Ok. So I finally met with the new “Addiction Psychiatrist” on Sunday. Prior to our meeting he had me read “Brain in Balance” by Dr. Fred Von Stieff. It was written in 2011 and  Dr. Stieff has detoxed 40,000 patients in his career. Dr. Kieff and my Addiction Psychiatrist believe  that the Ashton Protocol is unnecessarily  slow and often leaves long protracted withdrawal symptoms that are largely avoided by this new approach.

I am currently taking 1.5 mg of Kolonopin, but have been taking this med for more than 20 years. My new doctor projects that I should be completely detoxed from Kolonopin within one month and have little to no withdrawal  after that.

I am not advocating one detox method over another. Many different methods work. But, I am going this “ new and improved” route. I plan to start in a week or two once I finish up with a few personal and professional items.

I will post the results of my experience in June or July  sometime when I am hopefully free of this horrid drug.

If you are interested in this new approach, I recommend you buy “Brain in Balsnce” on Amazon (the Kindle edition is $9.00) and find a doctor that knows it well. You must take multiple meds for four weeks to detox in one month. It completely avoids Valium or any other Benzo.

All the best!

Good luck with it all [...].  I eagerly await you experience with this method and will get the book to see what they are proposing.  And listen to [...] before you embark on this quest with this doc....
[...]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:20:04 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 03:04:15 pm »
[...]- it is true that many people can withdraw quickly from benzos without problems. There are also many people who can’t. Besides a rapid withdrawal what is this doctor proposing to do? Add another med? Supplements? Amino acids? All of these have had poor results with many members of our community. I am worried that if you have a rapid withdrawal and reinstate it will set you up for a more difficult taper in the future (that happened to me). Long withdrawal symptoms are not a result of the Ashton taper, they are a result of benzodiazepine use. Please seriously reconsider. In the absence of any other information I am concerned about this approach.
Take care,
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 08:50:43 pm »
[...]: may I ask, what does this method mean in the real world ?

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 11:38:46 am »

All the best!

What meds is he suggesting? Are they meds or supplements?  Dang not meaning to be negative but that is a super fast taper from the amount of Benzo you are taking. One month? Really?  I pray that all goes well for you but now I'm super curious as to this method and I thought you were going to share it with us.  :-\

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 07:29:31 pm »

All the best!

He may have detoxed 40,000 people but how long did he follow them up after the detox for? If they had minimal sxs's over the first year then he'd be a millionaire. Loads of detox clinics can claim the same. A lot of their victims reinstate or worse suffer for years. This sounds too good to be true so therefore probably is. I hope I'm wrong.
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 07:35:06 pm »
I think it was too fast for me.