Please tell me how cut Valium pill

[Fa...]

Hi. I am starting the Aston protocol to go from 1.5 Kolonopin per day to Valium and then down hopefully to nothing. I was prescribed .5 mg Kolonopin pills and 10 mg Valium pills. Looking ahead I see Dr Aston has stages of 10 mg Valium and 5 mg Valium. I can cut to the 5 mg Valium easily because the pull is scored, but Dr. Aston then has Stages of 8 mg, 6 mg, 4 mg, etc. of Valium. How on earth do I cut the Valium pill precisely for that?

Please let me know. Thank you very much. 

Actually, I looked back at Dr Aston’s Chapter 2 on how to withdraw and the tapering schedule she has and I learned that Valium comes in 10 mg, 5mg and 2 mg and that the 2 mg is scored. So with the 5mg and 2 mg ( which can be cut to 1 mg and then all the way to .25 mg if necessary by cutting in one-half again),  I shouldn’t have to crush the pills to create the different mg of Valiums that she requires to all the way down.

I also learned that there is a liquid titration kit sold in Great Britain that has been proven very helpful But I read it is not yet sold in the US. I saw on You Tube a demonstration of liquid titration by I am going to go this route for now.

Thank you much!!

That's a good decision. I also think liquid is the best way to taper, it worked very well for me. I'm dry cutting now because I intend to stay a long time at 0.25mg to taper off another med.

Thank you. I did read that even under the Aston protocol that when I get to a very low dose of Valium liquid titration may be necessary because jumping off can be very difficult.

Can you get 2 mg valium pills from your doctor? That will make the transition and tapering easier.

Have you tried tapering the klonopin directly at all? That works well for many people rather than troubling with the crossover. Since 1.5 mg K is equivalent to about 30mg V, you might want to reduce your K dose first before crossing over anyway.

:thumbsup:

JKS

Also, to the extent that you can, dont project forward to whether the end will be difficult. Think of it as starting out on a long journey (after 20 years of meds, it might take a while) but you can take it one step at a time and you will get there.

JKS

Thank you JustKeepSwmming. Everything you say here is very helpful. My psychiatrist was not familiar with the Ashton protocol and after reading everything on it that I provided he referred me to an “addiction psychiatrist.”  I am meeting this new doctor on. Sunday. This new doctor told me he is very familiar with the Ashton protocol “but has found a better way.”  Once I hear what he has to say I will update everyone. Thank you again.

Hi Faithspot,

I'm sitting on 1.25mgs Valium and finely dusting away particles with an emery board, daily.  :D.  I swear I become symptomatic even at this level, and good to know Dr. Ashton believes long slow taper at tail end too.  Thought it might be all in my head.  ;D

I have to keep revising in my head the notion of slow. 

Dee

You need to find a doc/psych willing to prescribe Valium in several dosage levels.  The 2mgs will be essential at later stages. I jumped when I got to 1mg (I went from 1mg each night for two weeks to 1 mg every other night for two weeks, and then jumped completely).

I don't think I was getting a therapeutic benefit at that point; it was more than anxiety over jumping off that made me nervous.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of scale is best for cutting 10 mg valium down to 1 mg? 

I'm going to try this after having a BAD reaction tapering from .25 klon to .125 klon.  There was no way to reduce the dose more slowly with a limited number of .5 tablets. 

How low in weight does an effective scale need to go?  Need to know before trying to buy a scale. 

I'd also love to hear from anyone else who has used a similar taper method.