Informative cross post........

[...]

"Absurd misunderstandings of science often occur at benzo-sites. One that has caused unreasonable fear is that of the kindling effect.

The effect concerns stimulated seizure-effects in epilepsy.

Briefly stated, it is the effect of having extreme stimulation in one part of the brain followed by other locations "catching" the "flame". Yet the notion that kindling means the well-known tendency for subsequent benzo withdrawals to be worse than the last is being passed around as fact. No one is using citations or listing sources for this belief.

People in benzo communities need to research the literature. The fact that this term, kindling theory, has been given a totally different meaning is yet another example of the wild and sloppy intellect so common on the internet."

Here is a link to a fairly simple explanation of the real meaning: (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~eh597/kindle.htm)

Another one: (http://thecarlatreport.com/article/kindling-hypothesis-it-relevant-psychiatry)

JohnE

"Absurd misunderstandings of science often occur at benzo-sites. One that has caused unreasonable fear is that of the kindling effect.

The effect concerns stimulated seizure-effects in epilepsy.

Briefly stated, it is the effect of having extreme stimulation in one part of the brain followed by other locations "catching" the "flame". Yet the notion that kindling means the well-known tendency for subsequent benzo withdrawals to be worse than the last is being passed around as fact. No one is using citations or listing sources for this belief.

People in benzo communities need to research the literature. The fact that this term, kindling theory, has been given a totally different meaning is yet another example of the wild and sloppy intellect so common on the internet."

Here is a link to a fairly simple explanation of the real meaning: (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~eh597/kindle.htm)

Another one: (http://thecarlatreport.com/article/kindling-hypothesis-it-relevant-psychiatry)

JohnE

Hi John,

Will you please post a reference for your quote.

As far as I'm aware, only one member of BenzoBuddies has promoted "kindling" as described in the quote from your post. This member's comments were unwelcome, and he has been banned from this forum for scaremongering, amongst other reasons.

I too am unaware of any substantive evidence for subsequent withdrawals being worse than the initial withdrawal. I honestly do not know the point you are trying to make with your post. The quote does not describe the prevailing attitude at BenzoBuddies, or even a minority assertion made by our members.

Hi Colin

Well first of all Colin this cross post was not directed specifically at Benzo Buddies ( and perhaps I should not have posted it here) there are a lot of other benzo sites around (but I never visit them other than my little home site) and many of the people who post on them also post and/or read here. I found it interesting and thought others here might as well as a thing not understood can often be a source of fear and the more understanding one has hopefully the less fear they will experience. The original subject line read Fear Reducing Informative Cross Post. I decided to change it and let people experience whatever they might experience reading the articles for them self's.

Gayle is one person who immediately comes to mind who has brought up the kindling concept here on BB. I seem to recall others as well. Perhaps it was the fellow you banned. I don't know. This was certainly not intended as an attack on BB in any way please understand that.

You say: "Will you please post a reference for your quote."

I didn't post the site where this post originated ( if that is what you meant by posting a reference for you quote) because I didn't think you would want me to be mentioning another Benzo site on this site by name. ( I think you know which site I am referring to.) Of course if you want me to I will.

And please delete if you think this post and thread inappropriate. I have always held you and Benzo Buddies web site in high regard even though our paths to benzo freedom may have a somewhat different orientation.

Sincerely

JohnE