Utter Despair

[Rx...]

Utter, complete despair describes it a whole lot better.

People function with depression. They go to work and/or school and/or are still active in their lives. They can be very functional. When people are in utter despair, they simply lack the capacity to get better at that moment, and have very little control over their situation. So, the utter despair is a much better description for these intense mind/body states that seem impossible to get out of when a person can hardly even get out of their own home let alone do anything else.

Utter, complete despair describes it a whole lot better.

People function with depression. They go to work and/or school and/or are still active in their lives. They can be very functional. When people are in utter despair, they simply lack the capacity to get better at that moment, and have very little control over their situation. So, the utter despair is a much better description for these intense mind/body states that seem impossible to get out of when a person can hardly even get out of their own home let alone do anything else.

I certainly understand.  :-[  Yes, indeed.  Well put!

I have experienced depression before benzos, and benzo withdrawal depression is much worse. It has a different quality to it too, despair is an apt word. To me it feels like extreme grief, it’s as though all my loved ones had died and I just feel utterly empty, lost with no hope at all.

I have experienced depression before benzos, and benzo withdrawal depression is much worse. It has a different quality to it too, despair is an apt word. To me it feels like extreme grief, it’s as though all my loved ones had died and I just feel utterly empty, lost with no hope at all.

I hear you.  I'm so sorry to read of your despair too.  :-[

• 3 months later...
My depression lifted again for me (without pharmaceutical intervention, btw), just to touch base and give hope to all suffering utter despair here.  I'm keeping all suffering utter despair in my thoughts and best wishes.  It's so hard when you hit the utter despair level, I know.   

Utter despair.

I remember feeling good. Life great..not thst long ago.

Taper began and past two months my life it utterly untecognizable.

I go around the house feeling abject misery now. Wondering how this withdrawl altered my perception on my self. My home,my life,so fast..

Truly i feel utter despair.

Utter despair.

I remember feeling good. Life great..not thst long ago.

Taper began and past two months my life it utterly untecognizable.

I go around the house feeling abject misery now. Wondering how this withdrawl altered my perception on my self. My home,my life,so fast..

Truly i feel utter despair.

I never tapered, Marie, but that despair is horrible.  :-[  My sincere empathy to you.

Would you call it depression for you or does utter despair describe it better?

Depression seems to encompass a few "forms" - profound sadness, flattened self esteem, tinges of guilt, etc. and certainly despair, utter as it may be. I usually get into despair on a daily basis but varies in depth. What takes me from 0 to "ideations of the unmentionable" is guilt. That, for me is the crisis emotion. Comes from nowhere, leveling a "scorched earth" thing upon my mind. But depression is really ugly business in any form, courtesy of Benzos - UGH

Depression seems to encompass a few "forms" - profound sadness, flattened self esteem, tinges of guilt, etc. and certainly despair, utter as it may be. I usually get into despair on a daily basis but varies in depth. What takes me from 0 to "ideations of the unmentionable" is guilt. That, for me is the crisis emotion. Comes from nowhere, leveling a "scorched earth" thing upon my mind. But depression is really ugly business in any form, courtesy of Benzos - UGH

Despair on a daily basis is awful.  Been there.  You have my empathy.  And yes, I agree, depression is ugly in any form.  Regarding guilt, you seem like an incredibly kind and compassionate soul IMO, Catt, so I hope you can kick that guilt from nowhere to the curb where it belongs.

Despair on a daily basis is awful.  Been there.  You have my empathy.  And yes, I agree, depression is ugly in any form.  Regarding guilt, you seem like an incredibly kind and compassionate soul IMO, Catt, so I hope you can kick that guilt from nowhere to the curb where it belongs.

Thank you Rx. If someone else can it see where I cannot, perhaps there is some lost innocence within me, so long forgotten. I've got to cling to that to build hope on. It helps for me to think of guilt, depression etc. as personal emotions whereas I think of innocence, love, empathy as impersonal - off the radar of judgement!