Should I stay with the doctor who prescribed me the benzo I got addicted to?

[Da...]

I have a question for the group.  My Primary care physician was the one who prescribed me the Klonopin that I became addicted to.  He has been my doctor for around 15 years and I became addicted while under his care.  I never abused the drug and only took it as prescribed.  The first symptoms of my addiction were increased anxiety.  I reported this to him and at first he increased my dosage.  When my anxiety got worse he, in my opinion, "panicked" and said he couldn't treat me anymore because he was a only a GP and that I couldn't book appointments with him to treat anxiety.  He said I would have to see a psychiatrist.  I feel like he kicked me to the curb.  I had to find a psychiatrist in order to keep my klonopin prescription going. 

When I got out of rehab, three years ago, I no longer visited him regularly.  I am a diabetic and need regular monitoring so I sought treatment from my endocrinologist, who was treating me for a different issue.  My insurance changed this year and now the endocrinologist is no longer in my network.  My old GP, also treats diabetes but I'm reluctant to go back to him.  I have resentment towards him although I never have spoken to him my resentments and how I feel he didn't treat me correctly when I became addicted to Klonopin (while under his care.)  I was thinking that I could go see him and tell him that I think he treated me badly, or I could just move on and find another provider.  What do you think?  I do have 15 years of history with this doctor.  Do I owe him this or is it just my own sense of guilt brought on by my lingering benzo symptoms?  I started making an appointment with a new Internist, who would become my new GP, and I started feeling guilty about leaving my old GP, like I'm breaking up with him or something.  Is that strange?

One thing I failed to mention.  I used to drink a lot of alcohol and my doctor always used to express concern about it.  He felt it was my biggest health risk and it probably was.  I was not an alcoholic but I would say I was a problem drinker.  He feels that my drinking was responsible for why I got addicted to klonopin so quickly.  I was only taking it "as needed" and not daily; that is, until I realized I was addicted (because of my increased anxiety, especially when I tried to stop taking the klonopin.)

Thanks.

I have a question for the group.  My Primary care physician was the one who prescribed me the Klonopin that I became addicted to.  He has been my doctor for around 15 years and I became addicted while under his care.  I never abused the drug and only took it as prescribed.  The first symptoms of my addiction were increased anxiety.  I reported this to him and at first he increased my dosage.  When my anxiety got worse he, in my opinion, "panicked" and said he couldn't treat me anymore because he was a only a GP and that I couldn't book appointments with him to treat anxiety.  He said I would have to see a psychiatrist.  I feel like he kicked me to the curb.  I had to find a psychiatrist in order to keep my klonopin prescription going. 

Only you can decide.  He treated you horribly, shame on him....but it happens more than u might think.  The Dr that addicts u, dumps u when u need them most.  If u can get past what he did and respect his opinion , and u want to see him, then see him, otherwise find a new Dr. :)

When I got out of rehab, three years ago, I no longer visited him regularly.  I am a diabetic and need regular monitoring so I sought treatment from my endocrinologist, who was treating me for a different issue.  My insurance changed this year and now the endocrinologist is no longer in my network.  My old GP, also treats diabetes but I'm reluctant to go back to him.  I have resentment towards him although I never have spoken to him my resentments and how I feel he didn't treat me correctly when I became addicted to Klonopin (while under his care.)  I was thinking that I could go see him and tell him that I think he treated me badly, or I could just move on and find another provider.  What do you think?  I do have 15 years of history with this doctor.  Do I owe him this or is it just my own sense of guilt brought on by my lingering benzo symptoms?  I started making an appointment with a new Internist, who would become my new GP, and I started feeling guilty about leaving my old GP, like I'm breaking up with him or something.  Is that strange?

One thing I failed to mention.  I used to drink a lot of alcohol and my doctor always used to express concern about it.  He felt it was my biggest health risk and it probably was.  I was not an alcoholic but I would say I was a problem drinker.  He feels that my drinking was responsible for why I got addicted to klonopin so quickly.  I was only taking it "as needed" and not daily; that is, until I realized I was addicted (because of my increased anxiety, especially when I tried to stop taking the klonopin.)

Thanks.

That's is a good question where is Dave.  No really it is a good question I should be considering a new doctor myself.  My doctor never warned me now he is acting as if he is covering his ass.  When I say that I'm still in withdrawal 60 day out he said that I wasn't on benzos that long and it was a low dose (2+) years between 1.5mg a day Xanax and then 2 mg Klonopin for 8 months.  I say bull!  There must have been a big crack down on Benzo doctors in PA and now he's worried.  He had been a great doctor until this.  I am beginning to feel betrayed.  At least it seams like my BP is settling down at 2 months that is my main concern.  However still have erratic sleeping pattern getting between 2 and some nights 7 hours.  Also really hypochondriac-est off and on.

TY Where's Dave.

• 4 weeks later...
Dave here.  I did finally go see a new doctor.  He's an internist.  I'm hoping he can help me get into better physical shape.  Since my c/t detox (3 years ago) my physical health has steadily gone down the tubes.  I have diabetes and I've really been struggling to keep my blood sugar at a good level.  I also feel bloated all the time, especially my stomach.  I feel extremely tired and it's like I've been in a long wave.  I think part of my problem is the gabapentin I'm taking.  My detox doctor put me on it (thanks doc) and now I'm trying to taper off of it.  I think it's responsible for most of my w/d symptoms now.  Anyway, I hope this new doc can help fix me up. 

Hi

As I am reading your story it seems like you didn’t addicted to it you just create dependency which is completely expected when it comes to thease drugs and for benzo you  need to take them every day while you are on them if a doctor prescribe it to you “as needed” in my opinion this doctor Doesn’t know how they work because benzo doesn’t work like that if you take them for 5 days straight and stop taking them for 2 or 3 days you r going to go through tolerance withrawal and that’s why you were experiencing anxiety symptoms between the doses dependency happen with benzo less than a week and it’s nothing to do with your drinking problem or addiction cause addiction is out of control drug use you only use it as he prescribe it to you I am sorry you are going through this i think you better change him to a different doctor hope you feel better soon