We sleep more than we know

[Th...]

Another reason maybe I don't like to sleep is because Time goes by TOO FAST during days anymore, I slept maybe 5 poor hours got up at 7am and its 1pm now, 6 hours already and dont feel like it...probably why I dont sleep good cause I always want to stay up longer to do things because time during the day is not enough

Mark,

I think almost everyone wished he/she had more time.  Being anxious for things can keep you awake.  Normally, I day don't advocate taking anything, but you might want to consider Ashwagandha?  It is a natural herb that is supposed to be as effective as Ativan for reducing stress and depression as well as helping you to sleep.  It doesn't work for everyone though.  Here is a link to a nice read on it.  https://nootropicsexpert.com/ashwagandha/

Below are some more links on the benefits of Ashwagandha for sleep:

https://lifespa.com/5-reasons-use-ashwagandha-sleep/

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/sleep-issues/ashwagandha-for-better-sleep/

https://www.curejoy.com/content/ashwagandha-for-insomnia-and-dosage-for-better-sleep/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/479454-does-ashwagandha-help-you-sleep/

Here is one place to buy Ashwagandha from:

https://store.draxe.com/products/ashwagandha-capsules?rs_oid_rd=483115101609471&utm_campaign=20180409_engagers_aa_caps&utm_medium=email&utm_source=promo+blast

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Helpful article. Thanks for sharing it. I think this is what most of us experience and it's maddening. But it also explains how we're able to keep living our lives-working, exercising, functioning at all, when it seems we're getting no sleep, or very little.

What is maddening to me is that after doing a slow DLMT for eleven months, my sleep pattern now is worse than when I was tapering. I average 3 hours of broken sleep daily since I have jumped. I must sleep somewhat deeply, I remember my dreams; then I microsleep probably don't know anymore. I don't have trouble falling asleep, is staying asleep the challenge. I cannot get off bed and do other things until sleepy again. I just stay in bed and pray, listen to guided meditation and then I fall asleep. Usually this last phase is the best and wake up somewhat refreshed. I am able to function somewhat, but it is taking its toll on my health. I am developing headaches that I don't know if it is from the lack of sleep or from withdrawal or both. I just pray, pray, and pray for healing. I cannot work anymore like I used to or exercise. My anxiety sometimes tries to trick me with some burning skin on and off; but I try not to focus on that. Do breathing exercises and it helps. This is so disconcerting for me because I had never been on z-drugs for years, so I was hoping my sleep would return quicker or better. How to cope? I am trying to accept my reality the best I can. I am afraid to take another supplement, but sometimes is just so tempting. I am trying Unisom every third day or so to assure some sleep. I don't know what else to do. I found this website with some good articles on insomnia, I hope you find them useful as well:

https://www.drdeborahmd.com/solutions-insomnia-updated

What is maddening to me is that after doing a slow DLMT for eleven months, my sleep pattern now is worse than when I was tapering. I average 3 hours of broken sleep daily since I have jumped. I must sleep somewhat deeply, I remember my dreams; then I microsleep probably don't know anymore. I don't have trouble falling asleep, is staying asleep the challenge. I cannot get off bed and do other things until sleepy again. I just stay in bed and pray, listen to guided meditation and then I fall asleep. Usually this last phase is the best and wake up somewhat refreshed. I am able to function somewhat, but it is taking its toll on my health. I am developing headaches that I don't know if it is from the lack of sleep or from withdrawal or both. I just pray, pray, and pray for healing. I cannot work anymore like I used to or exercise. My anxiety sometimes tries to trick me with some burning skin on and off; but I try not to focus on that. Do breathing exercises and it helps. This is so disconcerting for me because I had never been on z-drugs for years, so I was hoping my sleep would return quicker or better. How to cope? I am trying to accept my reality the best I can. I am afraid to take another supplement, but sometimes is just so tempting. I am trying Unisom every third day or so to assure some sleep. I don't know what else to do. I found this website with some good articles on insomnia, I hope you find them useful as well:

https://www.drdeborahmd.com/solutions-insomnia-updated

Solyluna,

Sorry you are suffering so badly.  I will offer this from my experience and the experience of others.  What typically works for those going through non-Benzo WD insomnia, typically will not work for those going through Benzo WD insomnia?  I would advise not to Google insomnia related things as that usually only makes it worse?  Even those that have "natural" type insomnia not caused by WD highly recommend that you stay off of insomnia sites.  Perhaps something might work for you from those sites, but I doubt it.  Most of what they recommend "sleep hygiene" type stuff typically DOES NOT apply to a brain chemistry that has been altered by Benzos.

For example, keeping the room dark and cool could help a little...but I highly doubt it would add a few hours to your sleep.  You are not sleeping because your Gaba receptors are down-regulated.  They don't function like the Gaba receptors of those that never took Benzos.  Gaba makes you calm and relaxed.  Glutamate makes you active and alert.  Right now your body is under the control of Glutamate.  It will slowly even out over time. 

The best thing you can do, if you are able, is to accept your crappy sleep and live as normally as possible.  For some it takes a long time for decent sleep to return.  I am 20 months off and slept last night from 9:00 pm to 1:30 am then was wide awake from 1:30 am to 3:45 am then fall back to sleep until 5:00 am.  Some nights I wake up at least 10 times but can usually fall back to sleep.  Your sleep will recover on its own schedule and timeline and unfortunately no one knows when that will be.

You will get through this. You have made it this far.  Keep going.  You are almost 5 months off and for most that is still very early.  Many don't start to feel or sleep better until somewhere between month 12 - 18.  You will get there.  I promise!  :thumbsup: 

Thank you TheWay2 for your encouragement. I know for right now it is hard to think into the future, but I do try to visualize me feeling healed. Now a new symptom has emerged which is head pressure almost every day. I have resorted to put an ice pack on my head or neck and it helps some. I am trying to stay away from advil since it messes my stomach, did you have this symptom and how did you deal with it?

Solyluna,

Actually not thinking into the future is a good idea.  It is also a good idea not to dwell on the past, before Benzos.  Why?  Because then you miss the opportunity to live in the present even though you probably don't want to when you are in the thick of WD?  I often found myself thinking about the times before I was on Benzos and how nice life was or I fixated on how great life would be after I was mostly or completely healed.  Neither one of those options really helps you deal with the present.  To speak plainly, WD sucks.  No question about it.  It's how we deal with it that makes all the difference in the world.  I was terrible at dealing with it for about the first 6 months.  Then I finally learned (or got tired of fighting) to accept my situation and live as "normally" as possible given the crappy circumstances.  That went a long way toward helping me to recover.  It is not easy to do, especially when you have lots of symptoms on top of not sleeping well or at all! :tickedoff:

I never really had head pressure.  I had "brain zaps" for a few weeks during my acute WD that would kick in just as I was nodding off to sleep.  Was the worst.  Thankfully they went away pretty fast.  I did have neck, shoulder and back pain.  I just took hot showers when it got bad.  I didn't take anything for the pain as I read that NSAIDs and other pain killers literally destroy your gut bacteria and 85% of our immune system is in our gut.

Stay positive.  Eat Clean, drink as much water a day as you can, exercise if you can, keep praying, and be thankful for any sleep you get or when any symptoms fade.  You will make it through this.  It is a hard road, but you can do it!  God's speed to you for some relief and recovery with SXS and sleep! :thumbsup:

ThEWay2:

I know you advocate not to take anything, and I don't mean to put on the spot here. But I was reading a link on Point of Return supplements in which one of the buddies was asking if any had tried them and if it helped, and there is a message from you that you tried them and that they helped you. I guess then apparently they didn't help anymore and you stopped taking them? Do you think your withdrawal was worse because of this also?

ThEWay2:

I know you advocate not to take anything, and I don't mean to put on the spot here. But I was reading a link on Point of Return supplements in which one of the buddies was asking if any had tried them and if it helped, and there is a message from you that you tried them and that they helped you. I guess then apparently they didn't help anymore and you stopped taking them? Do you think your withdrawal was worse because of this also?

I don't advocate more Rx drugs.  Natural stuff is OK in my book.  It just never worked for me for sleep.  The Point of Return supplements were just fish oil, protein powder and tart cherry tablets for sleep.  None of this helped me sleep, but seemed to ease the anxiety and some of my other symptoms some?  It could have been the placebo effect too, not sure?

If you find something natural to sleep with, by all means, try it.  Nothing ever worked for me for more than a night or two so I was "forced" to take nothing.  I heard Ashwagandha works for some people?  Not sure.  Even OTC stuff a few times a week isn't a problem for most.  I advocate taking nothing, if you can do it, so you don't introduce something else into the mix that could potentially affect your recovery.  But you need to decide what is best for you.  Experiment.  I would just avoid any other Rx drug for sleep.

ThEway2:

Speaking of experimenting with supplements, you mentioned tart cherry juice and Omega 3's; how much would be appropriate to take?

I really don't think there is a set amount?  You can't OD on either one, but taking too much might affect your WD symptoms?  Maybe start with 500mg of Tart cherry or 1oz of the concentrated liquid and see what that does and build up from there.  I would take Extra Virgin Olive Oil capsules for Omega 3 fat intake.  I take 3-6 1000mg capsules a day or 3,000 - 6,000mgs.  You could start out with less and then build slowly and pay attention to any disturbance in your symptoms.

Good luck.