Sleep Types

[Se...]

I thought I would try to describe the different types of nights I've experienced over the last 2+ months of tapering.

I've been noticing changes in my sleep lately. These days I'm having more of the nights consistent with points 3/4/5 below. I've even had 2 nights consistent with point 6 in the last week.

1. Zero sleep; these nights are characterized by being fully awake and aware of everything and though I am tired, unable to fall into any kind of sleep. I experienced this mostly in the very beginning.

2. Intermittent microsleep; On these nights I lay in bed and start to feel myself falling to sleep but never really "switch" into an unconscious state. I realize afterward that I was dreaming during times when I felt like I was not asleep. Tossing and turning.

3. Some sleep with microsleep after early waking; on these nights I am able to cross into an unconscious sleep phase but then wake up after a couple hours and end up in intermittent microsleep until morning with tossing and turning.

4. Some sleep with less conscious dozing; on these nights I cross into sleep and though I wake up early, I then remain in a drowsy state with dozing and awakenings. I do not feel totally aware or wired and less tossing and turning.

5. Sleep for 4-5+ hours. on these nights I cross into sleep and though I wake up early, I then remain in a drowsy state with dozing and awakenings. I do not feel totally aware or wired and less tossing and turning.

6. Sleep for 6+ hours. On these nights I feel almost like myself the next day.

Nice list.  I think a lot of us have been through most of these.  It might get worse for awhile after you are off? But it will get better.  Good luck. :thumbsup:

This describes me pretty well. I've spent quite a bit of time stuck at point 5 with 4-5 hours sleep (with mostly brief wake ups every 60-90 minutes) followed by less conscious dozing for 1-3 hours. Still, I'm so grateful to be getting that much. Nights are my favorite time of day even with the challenge. It's such a delicious feeling to be able to get drowsy at all after so long of not experiencing that.

I hope your sleep stays manageable. Keep up the good work!

Well, I was pretty excited last week with my sleep improvement.. but this week is not going the same so far.

I've reached 1.5mg diazepam in my daily micro taper and have no other symptoms yet, but sleep trouble has come back with a vengeance and I have been unable to sleep for the last 3 nights. Last night was a "type 1" night, and I finally gave in at 2am and took a vistaril which gave me about 3-4hrs before the alarm went off.

On one hand, I could stay at 1.5mg, but if Im suffering at this point, what is the difference if I keep going with my micro taper and suffer? At least there is a light at the end of the taper if i stick to the plan.

It's a bit of a spirit crusher. So good last week, so difficult now.

Well, I was pretty excited last week with my sleep improvement.. but this week is not going the same so far.

I've reached 1.5mg diazepam in my daily micro taper and have no other symptoms yet, but sleep trouble has come back with a vengeance and I have been unable to sleep for the last 3 nights. Last night was a "type 1" night, and I finally gave in at 2am and took a vistaril which gave me about 3-4hrs before the alarm went off.

On one hand, I could stay at 1.5mg, but if Im suffering at this point, what is the difference if I keep going with my micro taper and suffer? At least there is a light at the end of the taper if i stick to the plan.

It's a bit of a spirit crusher. So good last week, so difficult now.

How long before your taper is finished?  Insomnia is no fun, but it should even out given enough time.  If you don't think the 1.5mg is helping and since Valium has a really long half life for most people, like 200 hours or something, maybe just jump off now?  Just a thought.  Although things could get worse?  Not sure.  I did not taper.  I did a Cold Turkey. 

Lack of sleep is probably one of the most universal symptoms of Benzo WD.  It will get better after you are completely off the Valium, but will most likely be UP and DOWN for a long time.

Generally speaking, the shorter the amount of time on Benzos, the shorter the WD?  You were not on very long, so hopefully your sleep will return sooner?  It is all a guessing game though, but you will get through this.  Hang in there! 

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have the same questions about jumping sooner or tapering faster. Im seeing a therapist and he agrees with me that the longer you sit in your taper = the longer you are on the drug and the more issues it creates in the long run. However I see so many posts here where people jumped earlier/faster and had problems and it scares me.

Sleep has been my number one problem through this journey. My 'great week' last week was only having some sleep for 4 out of 7 days and it was quite literally the best I've experienced since February. I dont know why some of us are hit harder with this particular symptom than others. It's just really hard. It makes everything else worse.

Sleep was my worst symptom too.  I totally agree with your statement as to why some of us get hit harder than others...just doesn't seem fair!  I am 20 months off and still get crappy sleep nights 2-4 times per month on average.  Although it is way better than it was just over a year ago.  I went 10 months with pretty decent sleep most of the time and then got hit by a month long wave at 18 months off.  I had 4 zero nights during that wave and a bunch of 2-3 hour nights.  It was sorta freaking me out, but it evened out now and I have had pretty decent sleep since...at least no more zero nights.

It's nice you found a Therapist that understands tapering and WD.  Those are rare!  I guess jumping early is a personal call.  If the amount you will take over the next 6 weeks will give you some type of relief, then it is a good thing.  If the dose is so low that it isn't making any difference, then it might be time to jump?  You have to decide.  My understanding of tapers is that they allow your body to "heal" a little bit but more importantly, reduce the WD symptoms.  If taking 1.5mg and down is not reducing your symptoms, then it might be time? 

This whole WD thing is so non-linear.  No rhyme or reason or pattern for most people.  I think I had my best sleep month last November.  Although I do get so tired sometimes now that I fall asleep in a chair or laying on the couch. :thumbsup:  It seems like most "normal" people fight against or don't like being tired.  I like it when I am tired!  :thumbsup:

After you are done with your taper, you might enter into "acute" WD.  That is usually a 30-60 day period of intense WD symptoms and insomnia.  Again, it varies from person to person.  Just letting you know so that if the insomnia gets bad, you are not tempted to take another Benzo?  You will get through this.  Stay positive and keep believing!

I have the same questions about jumping sooner or tapering faster. Im seeing a therapist and he agrees with me that the longer you sit in your taper = the longer you are on the drug and the more issues it creates in the long run. However I see so many posts here where people jumped earlier/faster and had problems and it scares me.

Sleep has been my number one problem through this journey. My 'great week' last week was only having some sleep for 4 out of 7 days and it was quite literally the best I've experienced since February. I dont know why some of us are hit harder with this particular symptom than others. It's just really hard. It makes everything else worse.

I agree. I just stopped taking my benzo because my perscription ran out. I had my first night with nothing and I just laid awake all night. Today I am a zombie.

I agree. I just stopped taking my benzo because my perscription ran out. I had my first night with nothing and I just laid awake all night. Today I am a zombie.

I can completely understand, karenpug. ;) I'm just grateful that so far many of the daytime symptoms I had in the beginning have been at bay... but the insomnia.... oh man. I wonder every day if and when it will end. You are definitely not alone.

I can completely understand, karenpug. ;) I'm just grateful that so far many of the daytime symptoms I had in the beginning have been at bay... but the insomnia.... oh man. I wonder every day if and when it will end. You are definitely not alone.

Hello. I had 66 hours with no sleep, but then I had one hour of sleep, then no more after that.  Anyway I feel like really horrible jet lag like when you go to Asia and have a 36 hour layover.  I am hoping on this fourth night I can crash. The weird thing is that you tell like your close friend what you are going through and your mom, and they are like take herbs or melatonin or have a glass of wine and you will sleep good. They have no idea that it is not that you dont want to sleep but your brain won't actually sleep because you are in acute withdrawal. No one really believes you can go 60-70 hours without sleep.  :tickedoff:

I had a weird one last night.

I went to the bedroom as usual 30m before my wife, laid down just before she came in, and at one point I was wondering when she would finally come to bed and then realized it was dark, she was lying next to me asleep, and 45m had passed. I had been sleeping without realizing it.

Then I turned toward the wall, and after some time (unknown amount), I became aware of myself in an wake-like state, but my body was still sleep-breathing and I was totally physically relaxed, so I just stayed like that and eventually drifted off again.

Next thing I knew I was in a wake-like state again (unknown amount of time passed - maybe 2-3hrs or 4? Wishful thinking?) and I turned toward my wife. After that I more or less drifted in and out out of lighter sleep, semi-unconscious, waking up at least 4 more times until the alarm went off at 7am.

Most people would call that a bad night... but for me, this was pretty good.

I dont feel tired today or as messed up as I usually do when I dont sleep so I just take it as a positive and write it off as a night that I 'slept' and am glad for it.

Great attitude, Seeking Hope. Look for the bright spots and it makes the hard stuff easier to bear. The more I focus on what sleep I get, not what sleep I miss or the quality, the better I do.