Stomach pain or benzo belly becoming too much

[DB...]

Please let me know what kind of stomach pain and location you have? Mine seems to be everywhere. Sometimes it's burning sometimes acute pain. Below my bellybutton above my bellybutton. Just below my ribs, left and right side. Right smak in the middle.

I've recently had an EGD, DR said I have mild gastritis. Hate to think what severe is like.

I have a lot of gas and bloating. Some area of my stomach are touch sensitive but not always. Most of the time when I stand up, it feels like a belt being tightened around my stomach and my muscles start tightening, like I'm bracing for a punch to the stomach.

Is this really benzo withdrawal? Or something more serious? I'm 73 from jump and am very concerned

Hey DB, I had a lot of stomach issues too when I first reduced my benzo dose. I'd bloat like crazy after eating and had severe pain/sensitivity (usually on the left side of my stomach or near my pelvis). That also included dizziness, food intolerances, and nausea/vomiting after meals sometimes (usually in the morning). I also had really bad constipation and gained about 20-25 pounds as well - it was horrible, so I really feel for you.

I did some testing as well - nothing more serious came up than an IBS diagnosis. I also eventually got tested for SIBO (which came back positive, and I think was the result of the benzos) and did some treatment for that.

The overwhelming likelihood is that it's a withdrawal symptom. Things gradually calmed down after several months and are a lot less severe a year or so later. I also eat a keto/low-carb diet much of the time, which helps with the bloating. The only thing that hasn't changed is the weight gain, but I'm hoping that I'll continue healing and my body will re-regulate itself soon.

Wow! I'm glad to hear you got some relief. It sounds like time is really the only thing that will heal us. Ugh!

Oh how i wished I could gain weight. I've lost over 20 lbs and have atrophy. I'm trying to eat enough calories but it's so painful. I've had nauseous feelings but haven't vomited.

My stools are loose and generally just 1 a day floating. So in that way it's not all bad. TMI... Sorry

My GI Dr has me on the FODMAP diet. For the most part I'm following, but it doesn't seem to help. I really need to learn to let go and forget about this stomach problem. Now, how do I do that?

Thanks for the reply it really helps.

I too am struggling with GI issues. I look pregnant and my stomach is hard and sore. I at times get terrible pain on my right side under my ribcage. Sometimes I have difficulty swallowing food, it feels like it gets stuck and feels so painful.

I have also gained 40 pounds over the course of the 6.5 years I have been on benzos. I remember gaining 15 pounds the first few years, then over the last few years I gained an additional 20 pounds when I C/O to the valium.

It really sucks. I notice that I do crave carbs a lot and if I don't eat on time, my anxiety and stomach pain go through the roof!

I have always wondered if it was SIBO, but I don't really want to treat it until after the benzos are out of my system.

I took all the tests about 10 months ago.  Said they found just a little inflammation.  I handed that Dr a list of my meds, xanax first on list, and asked him if any of my meds could be cause.......he looked and said NO :tickedoff:

I have also had a lot of trouble with my stomach during the first time. I thought I had stomach ulcer, but was too bad to seek medical care. (one must be healthy to be ill). Was very bad in my stomach, it was like black ink (excuse me). So I thought it was really bad. When it went over, it hurt more in the abdominal fat, so it was not in the stomach. But it has now passed, and my stomach is perfect!  :)

I have also had a lot of trouble with my stomach during the first time. I thought I had stomach ulcer, but was too bad to seek medical care. (one must be healthy to be ill). Was very bad in my stomach, it was like black ink (excuse me). So I thought it was really bad. When it went over, it hurt more in the abdominal fat, so it was not in the stomach. But it has now passed, and my stomach is perfect!  :)

Good for you translator 100! :)

My GI issues are back. Mine started way before benzos when I had an infection from H. pylori. I beat it. Then when I C/T a psych drug I developed food sesitivities and gastritis which I also beat after four months of treatment and dieting. I had lost a lot of weight. Then during my taper my stomach was doing okey until I post jumped. I think I aggravated it by taking some supplements. I am thinking about going back to the GI again. I just don't want to have an invasive study done with sedation. Mine feels more like reflux, some pain in the mouth of the stomach, some burning. I know I have moderate candidate, I don't know if this is the same as SIBO. I would like to have this checked out. I don't want to put on antibiotics either. Oh what to do what do??? So far I have to go back on an alkaline diet. I have stopped coffee and alcohol a long time ago which helps.

I feel for you. I'm doing the diet, but have been messing up a bit lately. It seem it's not as bad all the time now, but it's steel there. Sometimes worse than other times. Hope the best for you.

Hi guys, Some of you might wish to look up prucalopride, not the laxative side, but the 5-HT4 aspect, and its use in medicine and withdrawal syndromes.. It helps regulate peristalsis and upper spinchters.. NCBI has some studies etc..

-Just that I wish someone had dropped that name to me, way back when... I only needed 1/4 dose, for a few months... They were looking at surgery and bagging me..!!??

:)

This can be used for loose stool too? I read one study on serotonin 5-HT4 receptor, but it's is about constipation. Do you know if this would be okay if one isn't constipated?

This can be used for loose stool too? I read one study on serotonin 5-HT4 receptor, but it's is about constipation. Do you know if this would be okay if one isn't constipated?

That would be the question.. perhaps it would address the reason why the lose stool..??

For me, i didnt notice any softening effects, but it did increase transit time and overall function..

I could only tolerate low dose due to cramping...

A very complex subject... But if im ever told FODMAP by a gastro again... *#%@!!!

Im not promoting this med, or saying it WILL work... But it is the best pointer I have in a new direction for those that want to look into it themselves...

Best wishes...

Since we’re somewhat on the subject, chiming in to advise anyone reading this thread who’s experiencing severe constipation and bloating as a result of benzo withdrawal to avoid laxatives at all cost. I was so freaked out by the constipation and the weight gain that I started using them way too frequently. The temporary relief is nice, but it makes everything so much worse and you quickly become dependent on them.

I stopped completely about 5 months ago and combined with a low carb diet, am feeling much better, less bloated, and constipation isn’t really an issue for me anymore.

Since we’re somewhat on the subject, chiming in to advise anyone reading this thread who’s experiencing severe constipation and bloating as a result of benzo withdrawal to avoid laxatives at all cost. I was so freaked out by the constipation and the weight gain that I started using them way too frequently. The temporary relief is nice, but it makes everything so much worse and you quickly become dependent on them.

I stopped completely about 5 months ago and combined with a low carb diet, am feeling much better, less bloated, and constipation isn’t really an issue for me anymore.

Im glad this was Your experience, and you had a simple solution...

Sadly GI issues are as complex and varying as any other aspect of WD... People also have different histories, so it can get very 'take what fits, and leave the rest'...

My best..

:)

• 1 month later...
GI issues are very common. I take simethicone for the gas and it helps. It does not ramp up my symptoms at all. Its Gas X, you can buy it OTC.

I've had continual GI issues for the past few years and continue to do so. To the extent I had a colonoscopy which came up clear. The sedation didn't work due to my Valium addiction ...

I do sometimes take Buscopan when things are bad. I also have IBS which doesn't help. I put on a few stone in weight and had a 'benzo belly' but have been working on this over the past year and have lost 2.5 stone and have been exercising. My belly has gone down a lot.

Definitely benzo withdrwal.. it is painful and awful.. i was very gassy full of air no appetite either .. it felt like the flu it will pass and it can come back .. i just drank alot of water i did what I could..and sometimes cried but i new i was on my way , you are too .. 🌸