Alprazolam Dependency

[Ha...]

Hello.

I joined BenzoBuddies for moral support during my planned taper and for other peoples experiences and knowledge about how I could attempt to taper. Before my tapering I would like experiences and suggestions regarding switching over to something with a longer half-life to decrease interdose withdrawal. My English is fairly good but far from perfect, since it's not my main language. I'm on Alprazolam since 2015 (3 years), give or take a year.

My starting dose was, I believe, 1 mg/day. Tolerance has gradually pushed the dose up to the current 9-10 mg/day to not get withdrawal symptoms, spread out over the day.

I started daily Alprazolam for medical reasons due to a severe mental trauma at that time, not to "try and get high". Did not fully understand what I was getting into.

I have not yet started any taper and I hope for good and easy to understand support and advices on BenzoBuddies for switching over to something with a longer half-life and after that begin tapering down that substance.

Hi Handlo :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies.

We are glad that you have found our community, you will get plenty of support.  Nothing wrong with your English its very good.  I am sorry for the mental trauma you went through, that's quite a high dose you are on!.  Many of us did not understand what we were getting into with benzos. The information and support that you get here is immensely important whilst going through withdrawal.

The general tapering guidelines are to cut the daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days. You can alter the schedule according to how you are feeling. The aim is to keep any withdrawal symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

Substitution Taper Plans   

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Welcome, Handlo :)

I too think your English is fine, so don't worry about that.  You'll be able to find all the information you need to start your taper here, and lots of support from other buddies.  I hope you can take the time to study the taper methods and think about what might work best for you.  Asking questions here while you're doing that should help you figure things out as you go. 

My mother is tapering from Xanax as well, so I sympathize with your situation.  See you on the boards and my best wishes to you. 

delta1