Did benzo use cause your depression?

[Ba...]

I never even knew what depression felt like before benzo TW and withdrawal. I had experienced normal sadness due to loss of family and friends over the years but you can still experience pleasure and have positive thoughts during times of sadness. Depression on the other hand is totally different. It’s deep black and hopeless. Crippling actually. I asked a doctor why benzos cause depression a few weeks ago and he told me that they actually do quite the opposite. He told me they make you feel calm happy and relaxed. That dude ain’t got a clue. Any one else never had depression til benzos?

Yes, mine came together with benzos. Never felt anything like it before. Well, 6 months out and it seems energy comes slowly back.

I actually wonder sometimes if the depression during w/d actually causes the sleep disturbances that we experience (it is well supported that depression causes sleep disturbance), or if it's really the other way around and due to GABA receptors upregulating.

I belive the reason we victims can’t sleep is because our gaba receptors are down regulated and glutimate is running wild and out of check. I think.

I absolutely never experienced depression before my introduction to psych meds!  Yes, I'd been down before, grieved and had felt what I thought was "being depressed", but now that I've truly experienced depression from psych meds...it's a whole other animal.  I just had to start 15 mg Remeron due to the thoughts of suicide brought on during my Xanax taper.  Once I'm off these meds, I will NEVER touch another in my life!  Not will I let my loved ones.

I absolutely never experienced depression before my introduction to psych meds!  Yes, I'd been down before, grieved and had felt what I thought was "being depressed", but now that I've truly experienced depression from psych meds...it's a whole other animal.  I just had to start 15 mg Remeron due to the thoughts of suicide brought on during my Xanax taper.  Once I'm off these meds, I will NEVER touch another in my life!  Not will I let my loved ones.

I hope that Remeron helps u ok, we need u here :mybuddy:

I know many are against the use of other medicines during tapering, but I have been thinking about talking to the doctor about remeron myself. Ive seen some posts (not all) that had positive things to say about it. My sleep has not been as kind to me as others here and if it would help me sleep in order to keep my job and possibly help me get over the hump until w/d are done, it might be something to consider. I know I would have to taper off of it later, but as long as it's not a benzo taper I think I could survive now that I know how to do it.

I hope that Remeron helps u ok, we need u here :mybuddy:

I feel much better already.  That was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.  My psych didn't want to put me on anything new either, but we didn't have a choice.  From what I'm reading, Remeron should help during my taper too.

This is not depression. This is pure chemically-induced despair. I refuse to call this depression. People work and function and live and socialize with depression. They can be fully functional. This stuff wrecks lives.

This is not depression. This is pure chemically-induced despair. I refuse to call this depression. People work and function and live and socialize with depression. They can be fully functional. This stuff wrecks lives.

Well put.

Well put.

I completely sgree.  I tried to explain this to my psych, he doesn't get it.

What I am feeling is absolutely horrendous .Benxo killed my soul. Before benzo life was different .Life may not be perfect but never never did I get these morbid feelings. If one day was bad the next was better. But now it is becoming a pattern .Most of the days are filled with sadness. I am desperately trying to sort myself out .Despite being optimistic I do have to confess that there are times when I break down and cry. Where is that woman gone ? I tell God that I dont want anything from him but just give back my old self when I was so carefree and so involved with the greatest gift of God that is LIFE

I understand what everyone is saying here. I am 17 days off Klonopin. I felt suicidal at day 4 and 5, but that slowly went away. Now, I just feel so blah on a day-to-day basis. No anxiety has returned whatsoever, but I feel very sad, espeically today. I am wondering if this is going to fade or not. I truly hope this is not permanent. I don't want to start taking more medications though in the meantime.

I had and have chronic migraines off and on since I was 36.  I already knew what depression is, and now it is kind of the same.  If I am in a lot of pain for an extended period of time, I get depressed but as soon as the pain eases up, I am my old self again.  But the pain in my back can get me depressed believe me.    :(

[39...]

So true! This is *not* depression. We need a new word to distinguish it from depression.