Please, I really need help with an individual plan for Titration tapering

[...]

Hi,

I have been on 1.25 mg of the benzo clonazepam for just over two months and want to taper off. I want to do it slowly as I do not want to experience major withdrawals. I take .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the aft and .5 mg at night. I have never been on Benzos before so I do not know what to expect for withdrawals and if 2 months is a long time. I have watched the tritration videos on how to do it. Video 2 wasn't working for me. I would like an individual plan so I can do it safely and accurately. As far as dry cutting until I get all the material what should I do til then. I have both 1mg pills and .5 mg.

thank you so much,

L :thumbsup:

I forgot to say that I am taking 3 doses a day of clonazepam (.5 in am, .25 in aft, and .5 at night and want to start on May 19. I have to get a 100 ml tube and all other material. Do you know where you would get the 100 ml tube or how? Please let me know if you need more info from me.

:)

A lot of people get their cylinders online.  Some have gotten them from ebay; others from sciencestuff.com.  I'm sure you could google for other places.  Not sure where to look locally. 

You'll need to decide on a taper rate, such as, 1%/day which is about average.  You can always slow down or speed up later as needed.

Also, are your pills the .5mg strength or 1mg strength?

I think you will do great on titration, l668.  :thumbsup:

I have both right now. 5 mg and 1 mg. I just need someone to put something together for me so I can follow it as I am unclear how to taper off. i would like to go 1% per day.

Also how would I split the titration in to 3 does as I know you take out 1% per day of total but I split my does into 3 times a day.

Hi l668,

Generally, only members that have already tried and failed to cut their dose use titration. Others use it if they only have access to large dose pills (so are unable to make small enough cuts by pill-splitting).

What dose pills do you use? If you use 0.5mg Klonopin tablets (or can get a prescription for them), you probably will be fine making quarter-pill (0.125mg) reductions. Especially as you have been taking Klonopin for just eight weeks.

Titration is very useful, but overkill for many people.

Hi colin,

I have 69 .5 mg and 85 1 mg. So how dry cutting works is that I would cut each pill by a quarter every 7 to 10 days am i right. That would be a 10% cut right. Again I am taking 1.25 mg .5 in am .25 in aft and .5 at night. I would take my afternoon dose and cut it into a quarter of my .5 and the after my 7 to 10 days cut one of the .5 into a half for another 7 - 10 days and so on. Am I right? The trick part gets to cutting the 1 mg properly so i might have to go to triation then. I have been on clonazepm for just over 2 months. Is that a long time. i a little concerned about the withdrawal. How long would it take me to get off my benzos following this plan. I am terrible at math especially fractions.

I really appreciate your help. My doctor keeps wanting me to increase my dosage that is why she gave me the 1 mg but I want off. And every one else want to wean my too quickly.

Hi 1668

If I were you I would dry cut like Colin suggested using your .5mgK pill to cut .125mgK ever 1-2 weeks.

Once you are down to 1mgK I would begin Titration.

1. Obtain 100ml plastic graduated cylinder marked in 1ml gradations

2. Crush pill ( I cut up the pill on a 4"x4" piece of paper & then crush it with the blade of a knife, others use a pill crusher)

3. Fill graduated cylinder with liquid to 100ml mark (I use milk, suspends particles of pill well)

4. Pour 100ml of liquid into mixing bowl add crushed pill & stir well

5. Pour 100ml of mixture back in 100ml cylinder

6. Pour off # of ml to be reduced for day of mixture ( day 1 1ml, day 2 2ml, day 3 3ml *****)

7. Add additonal liquid to 100ml cylinder to 100ml mark

8. Pour 100ml of liquid into mixing bowl & stir well

9. Pour 100ml of mixture back in 100ml cylinder

10. Pour equal amounts of mixture for how ever many doses you want/day into small plastic containers with lids

11. store mixed liquid/benzo in plastic containers in refrigerator

12. Drink each container at time to take dose & enjoy!

For each reduction in dose you pour off 1ml additional liquid from the original mixture of your 1ml tab.

Day 1  pour off 1ml, day 2 pour off 2ml and so on.

If it gets rough you can slow down and stay at the same dose for two or more days. Maybe cut every other day.

If you cut 1ml/day=.01mgK you can taper off in 100 days.

When I got to .30mgK I slowed down to every other day cuts.

I have dry cut and am now using titration. The titration is superior as it allows you to make small .01mgK daily cuts which hit your body with less intensity than the larger weekly/biweekly dry cuts.

Also the doses are more accurate than dry cutting and you will be able to cut down to a very small amount like .01mgK before jumping.

Hope this helps 1668

Teakettle

Thanks Teakettle that helps.

When I get to the 1mgk and take out the amount of mg I am suppose to with tritraion. Can I spit it in two doses as I take on in the am and one in the pm and is 2 months on the pill going to give me signicant withdrawal.

Lisa

l668,

If you cut your dose by 0.125mg every 7-10 days, this probably will be fine. You adjust the frequency of cuts according to how you react.

You can switch to titration (if you should need it) at any stage during your withdrawal. However, it does tie you down to the kitchen, so I would avoid if possible. Honestly, the majority of people quit Klonopin by making 0.125mg (quarter-pill) cuts to to their 0.5mg pills, especially if (like you) they have not been on benzodiazpines for very long.

Thanks Colin,

I really appreciate all you help the problem is when i get to cutting my 1 mg pllls as the doctor has given these last time but I do have 68 .5 mg left so maybe next time I see her she will give me more .5 mg. :)

Hi,

Obviously, it would make sense to use up as many of the 1mg tablets while your dose is relatively high, and save as many as possible of the 0.5mg pills for later, when you dose is lower.

Do you think with only being on K for 2 months and tapering slowly that I will have intense withdrawal.

Lisa :o

Lisa,

In your shoes (after two months of use), and assuming that you have not already experienced particular difficulties withdrawing or when you've missed a single dose, I would aim to withdraw sooner rather than later. Although dependency can occur in as little as two weeks, this is at the extreme end of the scale. Additionally, to some degree at least, dependency is a gradual process, where length of use will influence/determin the depth of the dependency.

If I was you, I'd make a cut, and make new cuts as soon as I feel ready. At this stage, you certainly should not be thinking about a taper plan that will last many months. Many weeks, perhaps, but maybe just a few weeks! There is no way I can give you an exact figure, only my best ballpark estimate.

Hi,

Yeah, I would certainly aim for this in the first instance. If it goes well (and because you have taken Klonopin for a relatively short period of time), you might find you can make cuts even more regularly. You have been on benzodiazepines for much less time than most of our members.