Heart flutters

[lp...]

Hi just wondering anyone has experianced heart flutters i've been getting them a little more lately now that i'm toward the end of my taper. How I can describe them is a flutter in the middle of my chest where the sturnum is.....a couple months ago I had tons of ekg's echocardiogram and heart was in normal rythm.......I think my anxiety is just up more lately with ending tapering I also have chest and throat tightness lately very annoying feeling, but the heart flutters freak me out sometimes and they a only last a few seconds when one comes on.......Any insite would would be comforting....

I get them all the time, even pre benzo. I used ephedra when I was younger and ended up in the er with symptoms of heart attack and stroke, was diagnosed with arrhythmia, and after that I always noticed them. I think I always had them but I became sensitized.

Being on benzo's makes one very sensitive to your body and its functions.  I went to a cardiologist and had the complete run over, my heart is very healthy now! The arrhythmias are completely gone and my heart STILL flutters LOL. I read that most fluttering is actually muscle contractions in the chest.

Cardiologist told me that Benzo's can cause heart palps and flutters. I know I had them long before ever taking a benzo. They were very scary when I first started feeling them when I was like 19 but as the years go by I'm used to them as being a normal occasional thing.

If you have met with the doctor and had an EKG and echo cardiagram they would let you know if there was anything to be concerned about. I know when i had some of those test done a while back I was concerned about my bank account!

Deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, and white noise machine help to calm some of my anxiety which helps with the fluttering.

i have them, too.  i was in the ER twice two weeks ago with heart palpitations.  they ran tests and caught them.  the doctor said it was an extra heart beat or PVC.  he said i could take beta blockers if they really bothered me but i didn't have to.  i didn't take the med. since i'm afraid to take any meds.

if you had the tests run and they say your heart is normal, then the PVCs are just an annoyance...that is what i was told.  my palpitations have decreased a lot since i got that news which leads me to believe it is anxiety related.

also, i was in my 4th week post-benzo when i went to the ER, so it could have been the withdrawals causing them, too.

i hope you are feeling better soon.

Me too. Having them a lot plus chest tightness.  I have heart issues but nothing that can cause damage.  Within the last month I have asked and had 6 ekgs, 1 echo stress and 24 hour holter.  All was normal except 44 PVC's and Cardiologist said every one gets them and average is 400-500 a day.  Again I only had 44.  I also feel my pulse elevated to 80-100 when I am laying down thinking about it.  HORRIBLE>  If you would like to talk maybe it would make both of us feel better.  I went to the ER three times and they chalked it up to Ativan or Anxiety.

thanks you guys very reasuring that i'm not the only one having these and yes they are an annoyance when I get one or two on occation....And yes Jill I agree if you want to talk we can do that it sounds like you and I have alot in common with are fears and also 80-100 isn't too bad try like over 100-115 that freaks me out  :-\.....feel free to message me or somthing

I hate when that happens...especially when your heart flutters and you miss a breath at the same time...psych told me that's typical anxiety, I have had it for years...I too was hooked up to the 24hour heart monitor and told my heart is fine. It's anxiety...my middle name. ;)

Going to try and get to bed now but I will email you tomorrow to see how you are doing.  Crossing my fingers for both of us. Actually wishing EVERYONE a speedy recovery.

How are you doing today?  I was doing pretty well now I exerted myself and my palpitation came back.  Not convinced it's not my heart.

Hey Jill my anxiety level is just through the roof for the past week......I know i had a heart flutter yesturday and woke up last night with raceing heat, not fun i'm trying to get these anxiety thoughts out of my head.....annoying.....so do u get a few heart flutters through out the day or once per day ect especially when ur anxious.....

I get them a few times a day plus chest pressure almost all day.  I have had palps for years but only got them 2 or 3 times every 6 months so no big deal.  This is scaring me.  Yes, I get the racing heart while sleeping.  It's horrible.  I think it's because w/d from Ativan causes heightened anxiety which in turn causes the heart stuff.  I am trying to believe all of the Drs that said my heart was fine.  NOT WORKING FOR ME>

Hey Jill you and I sound so much alike lets try to meet in chat one day so we can talk....ya the chest tightness is soo annoying and then to add to the anxiouty you et heart palp, flutters ect...ugh.....an endlescycle

Well been off 12 days now YAY!!!!!!!!!!  Heart is still making me think I have angina.  Dr's are not happy since I won't accept the diagnosis of all is normal.  LPTC01 would love to chat. 

Two weeks off and haven't had a major attack again so that's good.  I spoke online to a retired Cardiologist who graduated from Harvard.  He said my BOWELS or reflux could be causing the palpitations and that with all of the heart tests I have 95% accuracy about no heart problems from now until 7 years is pretty accurate from the tests.  I still am having a hard time from believing it especially every time I exert myself I get a palp.  I am monitoring my blood pressure obssesively.  It's pretty damn low so that scares me too

Hey JIll Congrats on being 2 weeks off thats a huge accomplishment....You know i've had ons of heart tests too and my doctors said my heart  is super healthy and they have done all the tests for me, but I'm  like you still have in the back of my mind what if they missed somthing especially when I feel a heart flutter here or there especial if it's a stonger one ugh....I havn't had any for a few days and i'm trying to stay calm....I think it's are anxiety and withdrawl telling us the doctors missed somthing and I researched online tons and tons of people get heart flutters worse then my case and there hearts are fine after tests.....I was wondering that about the reflux causeing them cause I get a lot of acid refux somtimes and I read they can even be esaphagus spams not heart flutters which are mistaken alot for....I saw your email got erased wanna send it to my in a message and we can email or chat or somthing...

Take Care Jill try to stay calm and not let the anxiety get to us easier said then done....I take my blood preasure through out the day too what is yours

I was thinking the same thing about the reflux.  I asked a Cardiologist online from Harvard and he said reflux and/or IBS can cause this by putting pressure on the diaphram.  My blood pressure is 106/65 or 60 which is pretty low.

ya thats alittle low, but now too bad....I'm sure it goes back when u walk around or get anxious....i love it when minie gets like that cause it usually haapnes when i'm relaxed...

Hi lptc01 and Jillp

I had heart palps and flutters all the way through my withdrawal and even since.  I too have PVCs and they certainly get worse if I am anxious.  All quite normal, so I can now actually tell when I'm anxious.  As well as feeling the tense muscles I certainly can feel the PVCs.  That's when the relaxation techniques and deep breating come into action.  The heart beats thousands of times a day and as my cardio says, it's impossible for it to maintain a perfect rhythm 100% of the time - apparently even the most healthy heart doesn't.

The heart flutters used to worry me more - the medicos could never actually catch them on any EKGs which didn't help.  However I now know that many people get them in withdrawal so I don't stress too much about them and they happen very infrequently now.  We all seem to have one area we focus on during withdrawal, for me it was my heart (there is a history of heart problems on my father's side of the family), for some people it is an old injury the flares up again, or the area of the body where there was a surgery, or GI problems - the list goes on and on.  Seems with the heightened state of our central nervous system this type of over-reaction comes with withdrawal. 

Just a little warning about the BP trap I got myself into.  My BP was raised during the worst of my withdrawal and I was taking readings all the time.  It was making me more anxious.  In the end my psychotherapist told me to throw my BP monitor away - I never did, but I forced myself to stop taking readings all the time.  The more I saw the BP was raised the more anxious I became.

thanks LB for shareing your experiance with the flutters and blood preasure....Yes I take mine everday and it gets alittle high at times especially when i'm anxious....Ya and i've always gotten the flutters on occatrion for years, but more frequently during my taper and some are kinda strong and so it scares the you know what out of me.....I don't think I could throw away my monitor, but not a bad idea....