Has anyone tried 5-HTP for depression?

[...]

I can only speak for myself and from what I have read about other folks using 5-HTP.  In general it works for some people and not always for others. Their are so  many variables from A to Z such as is a person on a drug if so which one or how many drugs . Also any alcohol intake etc. Many things can affect the absorption of any nutrient including 5-HTP. 

It does work overnight it takes time as AD's do !  I can only suggest jumping on the net and do some research on it . The  only reason I took two short courses of K is because My depression was so bad that I had almost total insomnia and would have died if I had not taken the K which only drugged Me up for a few hours a night . I slowly and I mean slowly used various NON herabl supplements to get some sleep back so nothing is a cure all .Do Your homework and read up and if possible try to get an appointment with a natural physician ND if You will. IF none are in Your area then  their are books on the subject of natural treatments for depression . Good Luck !