Ashton lists herbs and supplements that are not good for withdrawal

[be...]

Good information-thank you for posting it!  I've had some setbacks from too much stress, dental work and from an antibiotic for an infection-even after being off benzos for 18 months.  Going to print this article out as a reminder for sure.

I see a lot of folks here using CBD to decrease their benzo use. If they can use CBD, why can't I use Valerian or Chamomile or Passionflower? In the end people will take what they think will help them :)

I think there is another thread discussing that. Also someone posted this link on the four phases of withdrawal. It’s just a link. People should use what they think will help them.

Most people that Dr. Ashton has treated in her clinic have been on benzodiazepines for years. I am not sure if she has clinical experience of treating people who have been on bzd's for months

There are many people who join this forum who have been on benzos for mere months, and for them, it's a completely different situation, and following Dr. Ashton guidelines on some of these supplements may not help them. If someone comes here and Valerian helps them get off of 2 month, 5mg/day valium use, all the power to them.

And I think, in this forum, we have to be mindful of people who come here with the short-term exposure to benzodiazepines, and we need to think outside of the box and see that they are in very different situations from ours.

But, I do agree with you that supplementation can backfire badly as well, and that this w-bad article you posted is actually very useful.

I'm looking at this list, and stuff I'd avoid like a plague from that list would be:

Phenibut, Baclofen, Alcohol, Picamilon, Kava, hormone therapies, Exhilarin.

Yes, that supplement Exhilarin does sound like a scam that should be avoided, but I doubt that anybody makes that anymore. I mean Ashwagandha and Holy Basil and bacopa and amla fruit and essential basil oils. Seems like too many things thrown together into one concoction. Not good. Reminds me of all these OTC cold remedies where they pack 6 ingredients and you only need one....

Pretty sure there is a website out there called SupplementBuddies, and they like their supplements and have their own list of compounds to avoid which include.

- Any medication whose generic name ends up with a -pam or a -lam

- Any medication whose name ends up in -ine (Fluoxetine, Olanzapine, Quetiapine, Paroxetine, Fluvoxamine)

- Any medication whose name contains anything in it indicating wellness (Effexor, Wellbutrin)

- Any il's (Anafranil, Tofranil, Elavil)

- Any -one (Buspirone, Trazadone....)

- Anything "lex" (Celexa, Lexapro)

- Anything with a "dumb" name such as Gabapentin/Neurontin/Morontin.....

- Any -prazole (Apiprazole, Brexpiprazole....)

[77...]
For me, these essential oil PAMs we have on soap and toothpaste tend to have a noticeable effect on me. Though, coffe helps balance things out. Though, i have this idea that hey have a noticeable effect even before the W/D. Companies put them on their products to make the consumer relax and feel good whenever they use it.

Guidelines and warnings are needed, but everybody is different.  What hurts one person may help another.  What helps one person may hurt another.  Of course, in many instances, warning in regards to supplements and medications apply to all.

[7d...]

Yes, that supplement Exhilarin does sound like a scam that should be avoided, but I doubt that anybody makes that anymore. I mean Ashwagandha and Holy Basil and bacopa and amla fruit and essential basil oils.

I did not know they were basil oils. I have tried Ashwagandha for relief. Amla fruit is also popular here as a dried and powdered stuff and I have had that too (more than I should have in a day).

OP's list forgot to include mint! peppermint is a potent source of gaba I think.

Yes, that supplement Exhilarin does sound like a scam that should be avoided, but I doubt that anybody makes that anymore. I mean Ashwagandha and Holy Basil and bacopa and amla fruit and essential basil oils.

I did not know they were basil oils. I have tried Ashwagandha for relief. Amla fruit is also popular here as a dried and powdered stuff and I have had that too (more than I should have in a day).

OP's list forgot to include mint! peppermint is a potent source of gaba I think.

Didn't realize that peppermint is a source of GABA. No wonder it historically helped my stomach. And the OP didn't actually create the list. She actually got it from w-bad.org site which is completely unrelated to this site and is an outside organization that promotes benzodiazepine awareness, and it is their list. You'd probably have to go to w-bad.org and contact them and ask them to add peppermint, etc. However, I do think that they require people to submit their name and email when contacting them.

Just wanted to check/get an opinion. I’ve been drinking chamomile/mint tea through my taper. As it says in my signature, I’m a fairly short term user. It doesn’t seem to have an immediately negative effect on me, but I don’t wanna risk things. Am I setting myself up for a fall having tea? Do I just stick to water? Or am I ok to have moderate amounts of tea given my use history?

Just wanted to check/get an opinion. I’ve been drinking chamomile/mint tea through my taper. As it says in my signature, I’m a fairly short term user. It doesn’t seem to have an immediately negative effect on me, but I don’t wanna risk things. Am I setting myself up for a fall having tea? Do I just stick to water? Or am I ok to have moderate amounts of tea given my use history?

Unless you are putting 10 tea bags in a 32 oz mug and drinking that per day, you are most likely fine  ;) A cup or two of chamomile tea a day should be pretty safe. It's a very safe herbal tea that is common and frequently consumed,

Ashton's list of things to be avoided include progesterone and estrogen.  I've been on hormone replacement therapy since 1998. I'm 65.  My OBGYN thinks I shouldn't discontinue my hormones during benzo withdrawal since it can be very stressful getting off of them.  I tend to agree.  I wonder if anyone else here has discontinued her hormone replacement therapy during withdrawal.  I'm afraid it will make it much worse and delay healing due to the emotional trauma.  Sort of like trying to taper an antidepressant while already in benzo withdrawal.

[dd...]

Ashton's list of things to be avoided include progesterone and estrogen.  I've been on hormone replacement therapy since 1998. I'm 65.  My OBGYN thinks I shouldn't discontinue my hormones during benzo withdrawal since it can be very stressful getting off of them.  I tend to agree.  I wonder if anyone else here has discontinued her hormone replacement therapy during withdrawal.  I'm afraid it will make it much worse and delay healing due to the emotional trauma.  Sort of like trying to taper an antidepressant while already in benzo withdrawal.

Guidelines and warnings are needed, but everybody is different. What hurts one person may help another.  What helps one person may hurt another.  Of course, in many instances, warning in regards to supplements and medications apply to all.

Listen to your own  body as we are all different.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:smitten:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi I have a question. I have a dentist appointment coming up. I know I have to get two crowns and I know I will probably have to get a tooth worked on or either pulled. What should I do about medication? If the put me on antibiotics or numb me up...is there something I need to tell them? I used Ativan for 4 1/2 months.