The Itching Returns!

[Ma...]

Well I still take less then a half dose of Nyquil to sleep, yet just in the past few days my face arms and legs are itching like crazy, I had this for awhile a few months ago now its back in full force.....Don't know Whats going on anymore

Mark,

That is EXACTLY how WD works.  The symptoms Wax (increase) and Wane (decrease) over time.  Some symptoms may disappear for awhile only to return later.  New symptoms may develop later on during your WD.  WD is a guessing game at best, NOT a science.  It is unique to every person going through it.

What you are experiencing is completely "NORMAL" during Benzo WD.

It's been months since I took my last benzo dose and I still feel terrible! Maybe it's not withdrawal. Maybe I'm just sick?

It can be all too easy to get discouraged during withdrawal. Withdrawal is not over with just because you have taken your last dose. Your body needs time to put things right again. The further you move away from your last dose, the closer you get to feeling well again. Given time your symptoms will begin to lessen in intensity, and you will begin to have what are known in benzo circles as "windows". These are periods of time where you will feel very much like your old self. These windows can come and go, but they are a sure sign of good things to come!

However, of course you can suffer other medical problems during your benzodiazepine withdrawal or recovery. If you are in any doubt as to the cause of the of your symptoms, you should discuss these with your doctor.

Some days I feel so good, but then it seems the symptoms come right back. What does this mean?

Congratulations! You are healing! Healing from benzodiazepine use doesn't follow a straight line. Your brain needs time to begin to function properly without the added benzo. It is very common for people to express that they have periods where they feel they are moving "one step forward and two steps back". The important thing to remember is that you are moving forward towards healing. All of the symptoms are actually signs of just that! Your body and brain are doing what they need to do. Try to hold on to the thought that if you felt better before, you will again.

yeah I do hope, anyways last night I tried a night with no Nyquil, 3am till 9:30am I slept but I woke up like almost every hour, would have been nice to just stay asleep but sadly I couldnt

yeah I do hope, anyways last night I tried a night with no Nyquil, 3am till 9:30am I slept but I woke up like almost every hour, would have been nice to just stay asleep but sadly I couldnt

I wanted to pass along two points about the use of Nyquil. First, be aware that if you use it often enough, for a long enough period of time, that it will stop helping you achieve sleep. Secondly, if you are using Nyquil for just sleep. Stop. It has a lot of added medicine that you do not need and that are hard on your body, specifically the liver. Find the active ingredient that assists sleep, most likely Diphenhydramine, and use just that. Or, research Zyquil and consider using that.

Broken sleep is VERY COMMON during recovery and even afterwards.  I still wake up a lot too and yes it would be nice to sleep for longer periods of time without waking up.  Some nights I wake up 10 times or more.  It is just part of the wonderful WD and recovery experience.  It will slowly get better, but remember it will be UP and DOWN.  You could go for a long time only waking up a few times a night only to be hit with days or weeks of waking up 5 - 10 times per night. 

Also, agree completely with Overwatch's concern about Nyquil, I would opt for zzzquil as that only has one active ingredient (The active ingredient in ZzzQuil is diphenhydramine HCl, an antihistamine that is a nighttime sleep-aid) and not extra stuff for pain.  I would also not take it every night. Maybe a few times per week and then slowly get off of that too.  Anytime you introduce something "artificial" to help sleep with, it is bound to have consequences in the long run.

I should Rephrase my Nywuil statement, I take Nyquil Cough for my nighttime cough, that one does not have the liver damaging stuff in it as Pain Relieveing Nyquil

I should Rephrase my Nywuil statement, I take Nyquil Cough for my nighttime cough, that one does not have the liver damaging stuff in it as Pain Relieveing Nyquil

Not to split hairs, but it does have alcohol in it. And alcohol has been known to trigger symptoms in some people. Admittedly, I don't know if that small amount could, but it's noteworthy nevertheless.

yeah it does but I think he meant the pain/fever reducer part that has a chemical in it that causes liver issues, the all cough brand has alchohol in it but not that chemical that hurts your liver

I itch most days, but still have not gotten a back scratcher to put by my bed. I'm not going to try taking anything for this. Why add fuel to the fire.