What's the longest you've been without sleep?

[Ni...]

Insomnia has caught up on me, i was sleeping ok with 4 to 7 hours but last night i had no sleep at all!

Everytime i doze off i get woken up by an adrenalin surge. I'm exhausted, i've been awake now for 30 hours.

I hope this is not the new normal!

ANyone else with the same problem? Not even 10 minutes of sleep? How many hours have you been awake?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Th...]

• [Ni...]

• [So...]

• [al...]

That was my normal without benzo tapering!!

Which is why I was on benzos (and am).

Frankly don't know that I will get off them.

But from being on the forums a little bit, it seems many people get insomnia only when tapering off-- and it passes.  So I hope that is your situation!

But I know how miserable it feels; you're not alone there.

Insomnia has caught up on me, i was sleeping ok with 4 to 7 hours but last night i had no sleep at all!

Everytime i doze off i get woken up by an adrenalin surge. I'm exhausted, i've been awake now for 30 hours.

I hope this is not the new normal!

ANyone else with the same problem? Not even 10 minutes of sleep? How many hours have you been awake?

Nick,

Insomnia sucks, but what you are describing is pretty normal during a taper, after you jump or if you go cold turkey.  I would routinely go for 72 and sometimes 96 hours without any sleep.  I did that at least 10 or 12 times during my recovery.  It is no fun at all but survivable.  You will begin to heal after you are off the drugs.  Sleep will return.  It just takes a lot of time, and in most cases more time that most people would like so they end up going on another Rx drug or back on Benzos.  Drugs are a dead end road as you eventually will reach a point where the drug is ineffective at the current dose (tolerance) and then you will need to up dose to get the same effect.  I would avoid all other Rx drugs to help you sleep, but you have to decide what is right for you. 

Lack of sleep will not kill you, your body will get all the sleep it needs before that can happen.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Thank you Barbara.

ThEwAy2, 72 to 96 hours without sleep.... that will drive me insane! After 48 hours i start to hallucinate with an incoherent speech.

I've tried all the non-rx herbs etc. Some do work but not for this crazy insomnia so i want to give mirtazapine a try, just a low dose to help me sleep during the acute phase. I know mirtazapine needs to be tapered too, but i need to be somewhat functional to do basic work.

Nick,

Maybe put a signature on your account so people know what you are on, if you are tapering, etc.

I tried Mirt low dose, didn't really help me at all so I quit taking it after a few weeks.  Just be aware that it can have its own WD as well.

Benzos and other drugs that affect the brain are the worst.  :tickedoff:

You'll get past this.  Everyone is a lot stronger than they think they are.  I never thought I could go that long without sleep, but I did and I even went to work a lot of times with no sleep for 3 days in a row.  Siggy used to do the same thing.  Others have had it much worse.  MTfan went an entire month with only 2 or 3 brief sleep periods during that whole time.  I really did not hallucinate without much sleep.  My brain was way too wired and jacked up by the benzos, but I did a cold turkey too.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hey you guys and ladies:

Insomnia and anxiety are my worse symptoms also. I am in the middle of it right now. Nick I understand exactly what you are going through. The longest I have been without sleep has been three days; the most recent about a month a month ago was two days, and I though I was going to die. I don't know how to counsel you in regards to the Mirtazepine; I have never tried it before. I am pretty sure it has it's own w/d, such as some supplements as I have recently found out.

My story with insomnia is kind of long, but my story with Ativan started in 2014.In my late twenties I developed m first bouts of insomnia and anxiety (was going through a lot of stress). Was living in a new town, no friends; all I could think of was going to the ER (3); and this how I ended seen a psychiatrist who were quick to label me as Bipolar. Never gave me a benzo though. However, the drugs that they put me on gave me so many side effects. Back then my children were small; somehow, with God's grace and miracle (this is all I can think of) I got the courage to quit the drugs. Luckily I never went through horrible withdrawals like now. After this period, I was able to live a productive, healthy life, no sleep issues for years. So I can attest pretty much of what TheWay 2 about 'toughing it out' and that adding more drugs will only prolong the recovery. It worked for me then.

The second time around in 2014 I came another tough time in my life, and insomnia popped up again. Went to urgent care prescribed klonopin; took it for 15 days; then symptoms got worse. My GP suggested I went to a psychiatrist (from hell). I should have know better. She also labeled me as Bipolar (I asked for testing, more evaluations...there is none). I was so desperate I went ahead with her protocol, and then my story with benzos and other psychotic drugs began. My body could not take it. I asked to wean me off; she refused.

I c/t all of it. Hell. Had to find me another doc to help me with the DLMT. I found this time a functional medicine/holistic psychiatrist who was willing to help me without crossing over to anything. She helped get better from my GI issues at the beginning It's been four months since I jumped after a slow taper, and last night I also had surge of adrenaline with reflux and only slept maybe two hours. I have been taking a therapy of amino acids that have helped some, especially with the hypnic jerks that I have been suffering; but last nite came out of the blue. So, I guess what I trying to say is that supplements may or may not work for somebody. I am thinking maybe is prolonging my recovery this time. I am much older now (58); and luckily I am not working at the moment, I can't; but have a wonderful, supportive husband, and family. This time I made the decision to try a functional doctor and see what happens. I don't want to resort to any other  Rx drug. If it weren't for the Gi issue I have, the amino acids would help me better...I don't know anymore. I am scared to go cold turkey on them. I am taking it second by second. Ultimately I guess is our choices that we have to live up, and there shouldn't be any judgment about it. We are trying to survive the best we can. Nick whatever you do, wish you the best.

3 days.

Although very few hours for months.

Perhaps worse sometimes is when you get a string of decent night's sleep then are suddenly struck with 1/2 hour nights. It feels like going backwards and causes panic about what is to come.

My withdrawal experiences have taught me that reaching a state where you cannot sleep is not worth it. Not sleeping intensifies all symptoms, slows healing and causes a lot of suffering.

In my opinion it's far better on all levels to taper at a rate that preserves a certain amount of sleep (say 5+ hours). And if it goes lower, to hold until you reach this. I believe subjecting the body and mind to a huge impact of sleep deprivation ultimately causes slower healing and more suffering, so is not worth it. I suppose this is also in support of microtapering.

I can go 2-3 weeks at a time with no sleep...it's horrific

2-3 weeks really? You should be really sick and hallucinating a shit ton if your up that long

Wow, and there i thought i was having a rough time with insomnia.

My insomnia is caused by current traumatic events, and some rather extreme life-changing events that will happen the coming 6 months. I can't stop but think about the worst outcomes all day long, it's extreme worry and trying to cope with the unavoidable.

That's why i can't sleep.

Last night i fell asleep for 1 hour or so around 10pm out of pure exhaustion, then woke up at 11 with a crazy adrenaline rush, my whole body was on fire so i took 10mg propanalol and an anti-histamine, that did the trick. I was able to sleep until 6 or so.

Woke up with severe anxiety and racing thoughts.

Maybe i should stay on a benzo until all the problems have been dealt with, i fear i can't take it much longer and not that i want to, but i keep thinking about how easy suicide would be.

Wow, and there i thought i was having a rough time with insomnia.

My insomnia is caused by current traumatic events, and some rather extreme life-changing events that will happen the coming 6 months. I can't stop but think about the worst outcomes all day long, it's extreme worry and trying to cope with the unavoidable.

That's why i can't sleep.

Last night i fell asleep for 1 hour or so around 10pm out of pure exhaustion, then woke up at 11 with a crazy adrenaline rush, my whole body was on fire so i took 10mg propanalol and an anti-histamine, that did the trick. I was able to sleep until 6 or so.

Woke up with severe anxiety and racing thoughts.

Maybe i should stay on a benzo until all the problems have been dealt with, i fear i can't take it much longer and not that i want to, but i keep thinking about how easy suicide would be.

Nick, if you are off the Benzos I would not go back on them.  I don't know how long you were on, but they are an evil poison that are only designed for short term use...2-3 weeks Max.  They only create a litany or problems after that.  Many on this site wish they never would have starting taking them.  If you can get by with other non-benzo stuff, that would be a way better course of action.  Your sleeping issues will resolve as you already know why you are having them.  Meditation and CBT could help in your situation.  I would avoid Benzos like you avoid rat poison. 

It is also a MYTH that you need 8 hours of sleep every night.  People that research sleep are not even sure why we sleep.  Although people seem to function and feel a lot better with somewhere between 4-8 hours per night. But you can survive and function on a lot less sleep than that.  The night before last, I had one of my off nights and got about 3.5 hours and had a completely "normal" day.

If you have been on Benzos for longer than 3 weeks, then I would begin to taper immediately.  Eventually there is a big price to pay and the Benzo beast demands payment without mercy.  I wish I would have realized that my pre-benzo sleep problems that were an off night here and there a few times per month were/are nothing compared to the Benzo related insomnia that hits most. 

Suicidal ideation seems to hit a lot of people that take Benzos.  I thought about it too.  But therein lies the key. Only think about it.  Never act on anything and  never have anything in your house that would allow you to follow through with the act.  Call an 800 number first or seek counseling. 

Drugs, especially Benzos, are a dead end road.  Eventually they quit being effective at the current dose (tolerance) and then you need to take more to get the result you want.  Just trying to save you from unnecessary pain and suffering.  :)

Mark ...I am extremely sick that I'm a tualltsurprised that I'm still alive. There aren't many like myself, maybe one or two but it's a brutal existence.  Something bad happened even my reckless dr c/t me off 2 mg of klonopin that I had been taking for almost 15 years. I keep praying that my brain will heal as I've never had sleep issues until the later years on klonopin .

Hi everyone,,,,,I am in tears reading all of this.....I too, feel like I cannot go on sometimes,,,,,,The lack of sleep and the pure anxiety and not being able to function is killing me.......I have never felt like this.

i went 6 consecutive nights with no sleep three different times during the first 3 months...... it was total hell that cannot be described but i did manage to survive  - i didnt have to leave the house and drive so i was not a risk to anyone.  you have so much glutamate, cortisol and adrenaline running through your body that you do actually keep functioning......  at 10 months off - i have nights where i can sleep 10 hours and then nights where i just get 5 - its up and down but it really is amazing compared to where i had been and sure is better than any sleep i got in the last year or two on z drugs..... so - there is light at the end of the tunnel but you have to just stick it out - i didnt use any herbal crutches or amino acids, etc., it was beyond rough but glad i let my brain heal.  i will say around month 5 i started to resort to a half tablet of unisom here and there when i really needed some sleep because at that point i had returned to working part time.

right now Im at hour 55 awake, be 60+ when I finally sleep at least I hope with some Cough Nyquil.....I have been up this long before and thankfully at least I have not hallucinated being up this long, basically my othey problem is the crippiling fatigue and tiredness

My coughing does not help either

I have been off my ativan for the second time almost 4 months now and of course no signs of anything getting better, but thats no shock to an unlucky guy like me

right now Im at hour 55 awake, be 60+ when I finally sleep at least I hope with some Cough Nyquil.....I have been up this long before and thankfully at least I have not hallucinated being up this long, basically my othey problem is the crippiling fatigue and tiredness

My coughing does not help either

I have been off my ativan for the second time almost 4 months now and of course no signs of anything getting better, but thats no shock to an unlucky guy like me

Mark you are no less lucky than most of us. In fact, if you where sleeping better than you are so soon after getting off, you would be a fantastically lucky person. I was awake for 5 days and nights straight and spent several weeks with only an hour or so sleep in a row and got through it. Many on this site got through much worse so you should come out of this okay.

Alohafromhawaii,,,,,THANK YOU so much for your encouragement!!  It really helps me ....I must remain positive!  I will get through this.....day by day......

I've been sleeping 7 hours a night for the past 5 days.

What i do is eat a banana and 1 tablespoon peanut butter 30 minutes before sleep. Then i take 5 mg ceterizine which is an ant-histamine.

I think the banana + peanut butter keeps my blood sugar level constant during the night, thus also lowering cortisol and adrenaline.

Histamine is also a waking promotor so taking ceterizine gives me a few hours of extra sleep.

The problem is that the ceterizine makes me extra drowsy during the day on top of the severe brain fog, but anything better than no sleep at all.

My insomina is being caused by intrusive and racing thoughts about the unavoidable future, real terror doomsday screnario thinking. That leads to huge adrenaline rushes and as a result i'm unable to sleep.

If i could just fix my financial problems....

Alohafromhawaii,,,,,THANK YOU so much for your encouragement!!  It really helps me ....I must remain positive!  I will get through this.....day by day......

Runnergirl, of course you will get through this. Everything ends, including bad trips to the dentists, crappy movies that you got tricked into buying tickets to and withrawals.

I don't know how to do this if I can't tak antihistamines or other drugs... that my prob and the reason wound up on benzos forever.

;(    Doubt I will get off them the way things are going.

Very down.

BarbaraAve,

Take antihistamines if you must, but stop taking the Ambien. If you think that things are hard now, you will not want to find out how much worse they can be with Ambien or other z-drugs. These drugs are great for occassional sleeping problems or to get through a tough situation that was not caused by benzos and not expected to last very long (z-drugs are for short term use only), but to start taking them nightly while in a benzo taper/withdrawal without any real thought on how to get off of them is something that you just do not want to do.

It looks like you are pretty far along with your taper so don't mess things up. Just keep a steady course and you will get through this. Withdrawal insomnia is pretty hard to deal with, but we tend to fear it more than we should. It won't kill you but it will freak you out as much as you let it.

I've gone 2 and a half weeks once and 10 days several times.  2-3 day stretches with zero sleep were quite common for me for many months. Spent a lot of time meditating at night and listening to audio books. I felt crazy at the time. I had occasional auditory hallucinations the first few months I experienced zero nights but then I adapted to the sleep deprivation. I was absolutely miserable with very distorted thinking but the hallucinations went away. It's remarkable what our bodies and brains can adapt to.

Wanna know whats funny about people being up 2+ weeks? If the Guiness Record's Still had a sleep deprived Record you guys would be the new winners

Longest anyone stayed up was 11 days,that was some guy Named Randy Gardner in the 60's...hes still alive today actually