Benzo taper/withdrawal literate doctors in Colorado?

[su...]

My psychiatrist of 10 years has been willing to prescribe Valium for my taper, even tough he still does not believe all my symptoms are due to tolerance and withdrawal.  I'm so angry that he continued to prescribe me Xanax all these past years (without informed consent) that I'm afraid I'll verbally lash out at him during an appointment and he'll drop me as a patient.  My emotions are that raw.  I'm looking for a back-up doctor in case that happens.

Does anyone know of a good benzo-wise doctor in Colorado?

After I finish my benzo taper, I'd also like to try tapering off my Effexor, lithium, and Remeron.  Hopefully I can find a Colorado doctor that would support me in doing those tapers in a wise and safe manner.  I have read some about the Wholeness Center in Ft. Collins.  Curious if anyone has been there. Thanks!

Hi summitbound,

I used the Wholeness Center to help me taper off Clonazepam.  I worked with Nurse Practitioner Gail Dawson who has a lot of experience helping people taper off benzos.  There may be other providers there that are experienced with this as well. I was having a hard time eyeballing my cuts for the clonazepam tablets and she switched me to a compounded pharmacy liquid clonazepam taper.  I found it easier to measure and control my taper rate.  I don't live near Fort Collins but, she was willing to skype with me for our appointments. 

I'm so sorry about what you are going through with your doctor.  My previous doctor started me on Xanax and after 4 months told me I could just stop it cold turkey because it was such a low dose...ugh!  I don't think he knew too much about benzos at all  :(

Hope this is helpful.  BurnedOut

• 3 weeks later...
Hi. I also recommend Gail Dawson. She is no longer at the Wholeness Center but has started her own practice. She is willing to work with people remotely. Her email is gaildawsonnp@gmail.com.

• 3 weeks later...